Comics for People who Don't Read Comics

Mongrel

Re: Comics for People who Don't Read Comics

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:57 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:37 am

I'm quite enjoying Hillbilly by Eric Powell. It's 4 issues in (and I'm sure there'll be a trade soon now) but they're all done-in-one; you can pick it up anywhere.

It fuses a few different genres. It's got a real classic fairytale vibe to it (Brothers Grimm etc.) but it's set in Appalachia, in some hazy and indeterminate mythical period that seems to correspond to anywhere from the seventeenth to early twentieth century, depending on what any given story requires.

And the hero, Rondel, is the classic loner hero archetype, in the cowboy/samurai/barbarian/etc. mold; he drifts from one adventure to another and walks away, alone, in the end.

And it's a horror comic. Rondel uses the Devil's Cleaver to fight witches and other assorted supernatural menaces.

It's a great, atmospheric book, of the type I'd like to see more of.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun May 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Royal City has Jeff Lemire back to his magical realist roots; it's a bit like a less-Canadian Essex County.

It's the story of a factory town that's seen better days, and an estranged family that's reunited (but, so far, not brought back together) when Dad has a stroke. It's also got a ghost in it.

Lemire said in the backmatter of #1 that he hates the phrase "slice of life" because he thinks it's a synonym for "boring"; I would propose that leisurely and relatable are better synonyms. Plus, he's writing and drawing, which is great; as much as I like him as a writer, I like him better as an artist.

The first three issues are out; you can support your local comic shop, buy them from Image, Comixology, or wherever, or wait for the trade, which will collect the first 5 issues, come out in August, and sell for $10 (which is half-price compared to the individual issues, which have a $4 cover price).