Korra

Friday

Re: Korra

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:17 pm

My favorite part about Kyoshi is how when she's talking to Aang about her killing that one guy and Aang is like "oh well you didn't really kill him, he just refused to move and fell off a cliff" and she's just like "uh no"

like all the other past Avatars are sort of kinda telling Aang that it's okay to use violence to stop a genocidal maniac but it's all coached in like "use direct action and don't shy away" but Kyoshi is just like "lol yeah fucking kill him"
ImageImageImage

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:49 am

A new movie every single year each based on a specific suppporting character from a decades old IP.

Here we go again.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:06 am

The other funny thing about Kyoshi is that they randomly decided to make her like... eight feet tall, and live for well over 200 years, for no discernible reason.

Usually it's bad - and often lazy - when a writer just gives up and says "AH, FUCK IT" and makes shit happen just because. And sometimes they say it and it's like "Yeah, sure, why not? lol".

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:39 am

Kyloshi and Korra are both canon bi, so these movies better be queer as hell.

Like, ladies clearly kissing on the mouth at key plot points so they can't edit it out for the foreign markets.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:56 am

Kyoshi commits kabedon just by standing near someone; watching them awkwardly avoid that all movie is sure to provide some kind of entertainment.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:26 pm

Mongrel wrote:Usually it's bad - and often lazy - when a writer just gives up and says "AH, FUCK IT" and makes shit happen just because. And sometimes they say it and it's like "Yeah, sure, why not? lol".

not being afraid to do this literally all of the time is exactly why one piece is the greatest story ever told

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:27 pm

"wait your sword can turn into an elephant because you fed an elephant a sword-sword fruit!?"

"no you idiot, you absolute buffoon, i fed my sword the elephant-elephant fruit"

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:04 pm

It's kinda fascinating, after watching the last decade or so as the studios largely shifted their live-action focus from movies to TV series, that they seem to be taking the opposite path on animation. Series have been canceled and then had movies announced, like Venture Bros and Rise of the TMNT. Series have been announced and then changed to movies instead, like Jodie (the Daria spinoff). I'm not entirely sure whether the Avatar and Beavis and Butt-Head movies are instead of the previously-announced series, or in addition to them, but I think it's instead.

It's easy enough to see why, from an economic standpoint. A live-action movie usually costs more to make and market than a season of a live-action TV series, but in animation you can make a 90-minute movie a lot cheaper than a 26-episode season (or probably even a 10-episode one).

I suspect that in Avatar's case, streaming rights are part of the equation too. AIUI Netflix snagged the streaming rights for new Avatar series back when CBS and Viacom were still sort-of separate companies and CBS had its own streaming network but Viacom didn't. Now that they've merged the rest of the way and CBS's streaming service is Viacom's streaming service, maybe Nickelodeon doesn't want a new Avatar series (aside from the live-action one Netflix is already doing) until the rights revert and they can make it a Paramount+ exclusive, but doesn't mind putting out a few movies in the meantime. And if the movies are being theatrically-released, as seems to be the case, presumably Nickelodeon gets a bigger slice of the pie from ticket sales than it does from streaming on Netflix.