Deals on Things

Thad

Re: Deals on Things

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:02 pm

Diane Duane has a sale on; you can get her entire set of ebooks (the ones she owns, not the licensed stuff) for $44.

I didn't know Duane's name until recently but we've probably all seen her work somewhere or other. She wrote scripts for the original Transformers, MLP, and DuckTales, Star Trek: TNG, Batman: TAS, and Gargoyles, to name a few. And her Tumblr is great.

I can't say as I know her books (Young Wizards, Middle Kingdoms, etc.) but aside from the $44 for the whole shebang price you can buy individual books at half-price if you just want to dip a toe in. All DRM-free.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:19 pm

The first Eighth Doctor Big Finish story, Storm Warning, is currently available to download for free (account required). It's not his best but it's perfectly decent, and it's a good one for introducing yourself to companion Charley Pollard before listening to The Chimes at Midnight (which is his best).

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:02 pm

Bunch of Star Trek sales on at various places because today's the anniversary of the first airing of The Man Trap.

The 4K Blu-Ray set of the Next Gen movies is at an all-time low price, for those of you who are into that sort of thing.

Okay, those of us.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:07 pm

Oh wow all the Picard merchandise is cheaper than everything else and...well, I can't say as I'm surprised but I am amused.

(I'd probably get the Number One (the pit bull) coffee mug if I didn't already have too goddamn many coffee mugs.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:07 pm

Humble's got another Doctor Who bundle on. This one's mixed-media, with comics, Big Finish plays, and TTRPG sourcebooks.

Heavy on the Tenth Doctor, which is unsurprising giving his impending return (though oddly enough I see a lot of Rose and no Donna), but other eras are represented too.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:40 pm

Itch.io has a Games for Gaza bundle, similar to the 2020 Racial Justice and Equality bundle. 256 games for $10. Proceeds going to support Palestine during the current crisis.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:03 pm

There's a game in there called Steamed Hams.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:51 pm

They Might Be Giants have a 25% off everything sale at tmbgshop.com. Almanac, a compilation of 19 live songs from the 2004 tour, is free (valid e-mail required, doesn't sign you up for any mailing lists unless you check a box to opt in).

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:11 pm

Humble's got an Oni bundle that includes Scott Pilgrim, Tea Dragon, Courtney Crumrin, and Bad Machinery.

Oni's a shitty company, but these are creator-owned books. Up to you who you want to support, or not, and of course you can always max out the charity slider.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:49 pm

Thad wrote:Humble's got an Oni bundle that includes Scott Pilgrim, Tea Dragon, Courtney Crumrin, and Bad Machinery.

The quality of the PDFs is quite poor!

I was surprised to see that some of the files are as small as 14MB.

I was actually fairly impressed by how good Scott Pilgrim vol 1 looked for only being 30MB; the JPEG artifacting was really only noticeable in blue-colored panels (eg night scenes). But then I got to vol 2 and...yeah, this looks exactly like I expect a 30MB PDF of a 228-page comic to look.

Humble's really been all over the fucking place in terms of quality. Forever; well before the IGN buyout. (Though the recent Doctor Who bundle is the only example I can think of where they posted shit that was actually incomplete; The Diary of River Song vol 2 was missing a bunch of tracks and an entire episode. They fixed that; they haven't fixed the quality of the Oni PDFs.) I remember Transformers bundles back in the day where you had a choice between files that were, like, 25MB or 2GB, with no sensible in-between choice to be found.

Anyway, again, these are creator-owned books, so if you want to buy the bundle to compensate the creators, I recommend you do that and then go look for torrents at Pirate Bay or wherever.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:51 pm

I understand that Oni Press has been kinda garbage for a few years.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:28 pm

In terms of being a shitty company, or having shitty quality control?

As far as being a shitty company, yeah, we talked about it during the "layoffs" they used to sweep out various inconvenient employees, like POC and PWD, including a couple people we know.

But the dilemma is, whatever it is they're doing now, they've still got a solid back catalogue of creator-owned books. Bryan Lee O'Malley probably doesn't need your money, but most creators aren't Bryan Lee O'Malley. I won't say "boycott Oni" without some caveats -- by all means boycott their licensed books like Rick & Morty, but the sense I got from the fired editors was that they don't want people boycotting the creators they worked with.

(And of course the other sad fact is that most publishers are pretty bad in one way or another. The Big Two pretty much don't do creator-owned books at all anymore; Dynamite's run by C*micsg*te shitheels; Dark Horse protected Scott Allie for decades; Image and IDW...well, they seem like they're probably better than the rest but I'm sure they've got problems of their own.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:17 pm

Humble's got a Scalzi bundle on.

I thought Redshirts was pretty good. Haven't read any of the others but I hear good things about Old Man's War and Kaiju Preservation Society.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:30 pm

I enjoy the Old Man's War series.