Animotion and Car Tunes

Niku

Re: Animotion and Car Tunes

Postby Niku » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:30 pm

As if Ducktales couldn't look any more fucking rad, they revealed at Comic-Con that Darkwing Duck is going to be a part of the show, and he's bringing (at least) Megavolt, Quackerjack, and Negaduck along for the ride. No real details on whether it's going to be a one-off episode or anything, but even that much would be enough to make up for the disappointment of never getting that damn DW Disney Infinity figure Vignocci wanted to make happen.

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:24 am

it's so fucking good you guys

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:32 am

I've certainly got no complaints. Tennant is fantastic as Scrooge, Launchpad is the funniest character, and they're doing a good job of making the nephews individual characters. I liked the structure of making the entire first episode a cold open and then jumping into the theme song before the second half.

Glomgold is Scottish again instead of South African, but I read somewhere that the showrunners said in an interview that he's not really Scottish (making his "Look how Scottish I am!" line a bit of protests-too-much); if it turns out that he's an Afrikaaner pretending to be Scottish because that's how desperate he is to be like Scrooge, I think that's a pretty good way to square the circle between the comics and the cartoons.

(Presumably Magica will still sound like she's from Pottsylvania instead of Italy, but we haven't seen her yet.)

Aside from the Darkwing Duck crossover they've already told us is coming, Cape Suzette gets a namedrop near the beginning.

(And Scrooge has a line to the effect of "What in Dismal Downs?", a reference to his ancestral homeland.)

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Why does Donald have a GPS unit in his 1970s station wagon? Couldn't he just use the GPS in his phone?

patito

Postby patito » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:15 am

They didn't have phone GPS in the 70's

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:58 am

Cronin has a pretty good collection of broadcast standards and practices notes for X-Men. Mostly very silly stuff (you can't say "butt", you can't show any bruises, you can blow up a dam but you can't say that it's the Hoover Dam or that they're in Nevada, Gambit can destroy a lock with his powers but don't show him using lockpicks because kids might imitate it...).

There are two notes I actually agree with. One is "You can't say 'squaw'." Yeesh.

The other is, "What, ANOTHER funeral for a guy who turns out to not really be dead?" Which might be the single best summary of the '90s X-Men cartoon ever.