Animotion and Car Tunes

Niku

Re: Animotion and Car Tunes

Postby Niku » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:30 pm

As if Ducktales couldn't look any more fucking rad, they revealed at Comic-Con that Darkwing Duck is going to be a part of the show, and he's bringing (at least) Megavolt, Quackerjack, and Negaduck along for the ride. No real details on whether it's going to be a one-off episode or anything, but even that much would be enough to make up for the disappointment of never getting that damn DW Disney Infinity figure Vignocci wanted to make happen.

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:24 am

it's so fucking good you guys

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:32 am

I've certainly got no complaints. Tennant is fantastic as Scrooge, Launchpad is the funniest character, and they're doing a good job of making the nephews individual characters. I liked the structure of making the entire first episode a cold open and then jumping into the theme song before the second half.

Glomgold is Scottish again instead of South African, but I read somewhere that the showrunners said in an interview that he's not really Scottish (making his "Look how Scottish I am!" line a bit of protests-too-much); if it turns out that he's an Afrikaaner pretending to be Scottish because that's how desperate he is to be like Scrooge, I think that's a pretty good way to square the circle between the comics and the cartoons.

(Presumably Magica will still sound like she's from Pottsylvania instead of Italy, but we haven't seen her yet.)

Aside from the Darkwing Duck crossover they've already told us is coming, Cape Suzette gets a namedrop near the beginning.

(And Scrooge has a line to the effect of "What in Dismal Downs?", a reference to his ancestral homeland.)

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Why does Donald have a GPS unit in his 1970s station wagon? Couldn't he just use the GPS in his phone?

patito

Postby patito » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:15 am

They didn't have phone GPS in the 70's

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:58 am

Cronin has a pretty good collection of broadcast standards and practices notes for X-Men. Mostly very silly stuff (you can't say "butt", you can't show any bruises, you can blow up a dam but you can't say that it's the Hoover Dam or that they're in Nevada, Gambit can destroy a lock with his powers but don't show him using lockpicks because kids might imitate it...).

There are two notes I actually agree with. One is "You can't say 'squaw'." Yeesh.

The other is, "What, ANOTHER funeral for a guy who turns out to not really be dead?" Which might be the single best summary of the '90s X-Men cartoon ever.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:48 pm

Neat student project. Very stylish. Mildly NSFW (boobs).

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:47 am

"Mildly NSFW (boobs)" meaning "stylized full-frontal, less-stylized boobs, and a not-subtle orgy scene".

idk how you're getting away with watching YouTube at work in the first place but I feel like the content of this film is undersold a bit

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 am

I mean, I said there were boobs, and there were boobs. As far as sexy content goes, it seems pretty tame to me, but YMMV I guess!

atog

Postby atog » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:28 pm

nosimpleway wrote:"Mildly NSFW (boobs)" meaning "stylized full-frontal, less-stylized boobs, and a not-subtle orgy scene".

idk how you're getting away with watching YouTube at work in the first place but I feel like the content of this film is undersold a bit

what you were expecting

what you got
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:52 am

Usagi Yojimbo optioned for an animated series. (Bleeding Cool refers to 1984 as "almost 25 years" ago; oh, Rich Johnston, don't ever change.)

I'm sure this isn't the first offer Sakai's gotten. (I gotta figure there were a few back around, oh, '87 or so.) I have to assume that the reason it took this long is he never got an offer that was up to his standards. (Similarly, the reason we didn't get a Bone movie in the 1990s is that Nickelodeon wanted to put pop music in it; Jeff Smith killed the project rather than allow that to happen.)

So that suggests that either Sakai doesn't care as much as he used to, or, more likely, he finally got an offer to do Usagi the way he wants it done. For that reason, I'm excited to see how it comes out.

He wrote Usagi's appearance last year on the (now-ended) 2012 TMNT series, and I'm pretty sure I read an interview that said he cast the VA this time too. I hope he's that involved in the new UY series.

Speaking of TMNT, it's pretty interesting to contrast the two series that are still around some 30+ years after the black-and-white indie funny animal book boom. TMNT became a phenomenon almost immediately, with Eastman and Laird exchanging creative control for a shitload of money, with cartoons, movies, games, and merchandise everywhere; Eastman eventually sold to Laird, who eventually sold to Nickelodeon. UY, meanwhile, is still, all these years later, the work of one creator-owner: writing, drawing, inking, lettering. He's had a couple action figures and a couple guest appearances in that other, much more popular franchise, but overall he's remained remarkably pure and undilluted from his creator's vision.

I'm optimistic that the cartoon will prove just as pure and undilluted.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:07 am

Evidently they replaced Skeeter with...somebody with a beak?

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:21 am

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Summer_Penguin

Original character (do not steal)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:31 am

No Scooter, either, now that I think about it. Wonder what that's about.

There was a Muppets comic some years back (when they were still running them at Boom) where Skeeter was the main character but, inexplicably, nobody would say her name; Scooter called her "Sis" and everyone else called her "Scooter's sister". I wondered if there might be some kind of rights issue where they weren't supposed to be using characters from Muppet Babies, or what. (Though Scooter did finally address her by name at the end of the series.)

Presumably that would not apply here. I have to assume that whoever is doing the new Muppet Babies has the rights to the old Muppet Babies. (Then again, I do notice that Animal's got a redesign. Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, and Gonzo haven't, but their designs wouldn't be tied up with the Muppet Babies cartoon since they were used in Muppets Take Manhattan. ...hey, no Rowlf in the new series either.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:38 am

I love everybody on Bob's Burgers, but man, I feel like John Roberts doesn't get enough accolades. Singing, in character, as a member of the opposite sex, with an accent? There may be more challenging tasks for a voice actor, but I can't think of any.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 am

How is there not a Milo Murphy's Law soundtrack album?

I mean, I know nobody actually buys albums anymore. But they've already got the recordings, and one assumes Nickelodeon owns the rights to all the music. It seems like somebody could cut them into a saleable format and have them up on iTunes in less than a day's work. I'm not asking for FLAC transfers from the original masters here.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:05 am

me: the best villains are the ones who are the protagonists of their own stories who don't consider themselves the "bad guys"

also me: time to play this video another five times

(I'd never watched enough Wander over Yonder to see Lord Dominator until random related videos on youtube through Steven Universe also lead me down a Wander-hole, but I kinda super love their take on the "Bigger, Badder Villain who the hero needs to team up with the original villain to stop" if just because a nihilist-goth ends up being the perfect anti-Wander.)

It also lead me to this version which kinda rules too:

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:41 am

How the fuck have you not watched all of Wander Over Yonder yet Niku

It is the embodiment of Your Kind Of Thing

They do an entire episode in the style of an under-budget Filmation He-Man episode

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:44 am

Mothra wrote:It is the embodiment of Your Kind Of Thing

I didn't know cartoon network could get away with that level of dismemberment.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:58 pm

Looks like another of Hollywood's "open secrets" is confirmed: John Krickfalusi has been preying on underage girls.