Truthiness! (Onion, Clickhole, etc.)

Thad

Re: Truthiness! (Onion, Clickhole, etc.)

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:14 am

In terms of content, the AV Club's about a decade past its heyday (I'm thinking of the My Year of Flops days). There's still some good stuff there, in-between all the "hey guys look at this thing I found on YouTube" posts and Trump clickbait (their comics coverage just won an Eisner), but I'd say A History of Violence is the only column they've got that looks anything like the site did when Rabin was running it.

Rabin's been pretty open, over on his blog, that the reason he stepped down was that the corporate owners wanted to take the site in a direction he didn't want to go. So he left for the Dissolve, which for awhile was a lot like what the AV Club had been under his leadership, but it's kinda hard to fault those corporate owners for wanting to change direction, because AV Club still exists and the Dissolve shut down because it wasn't making any money.

As far as presentation...hang on, let me see if there's still an RSS feed... ... ...yep, it's at http://www.avclub.com/rss . So I can still get RSS, so whatever changes they've made to the homepage aren't going to much affect the way I view it.

As for the comments section...yeah, it looks pretty bad. I hated Disqus, but I'm beginning to see why all the commenters have been insisting for months that Kinja is worse and that they were all planning to leave after the switch-over.

At any rate, I'll probably keep reading the headlines, clicking on fewer and fewer of them, and we'll see if I decide it's still worth fucking around with the comments section.

Meanwhile, if you're more interested in the kind of shit AV Club used to publish, Rabin's continuing My World of Flops and other very Rabin-y things over on his blog. His most notable ongoing feature is The Weird Accordion to Al, a song-by-song retrospective of Weird Al's entire catalog. He's up to UHF at this point.

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Yeah, I've read basically everything Rabin has posted on his site and am probably going to add him to my very short list of Patreon folks once I can swing a few more on it. The AV Club hasn't been ~the AV Club~ for a long damn time, but I still think their episodic TV reviews are my favorite around for rarely falling into the trap of just recapping a damn episode and instead talking about the larger contexts around them and they've still got some decent columns and listicles. But fuck, even as someone who does browse Kotaku and what remains of io9, the entire Kinja platform is a fucking mess from top to bottom for actually following or finding anything, and The AV Club in general just posts too much crap I don't care about to throw on my RSS feed. Which I guess is part of the problem too. It's basically going to be harder to find and grab the stuff I do care about now and that sucks but is a very first world problem.

The biggest loss is in fact their comments section as it was known, which is on the VERY short fucking list of comments sections I found worthwhile to read more often than not.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 am

Niku wrote:The biggest loss is in fact their comments section as it was known, which is on the VERY short fucking list of comments sections I found worthwhile to read more often than not.

Yeah, and after more poking around I can totally understand everyone's complaints about it. It's quite clear that Kinja is a blogging platform that's been expanded far beyond its intended scope; its comment support would be fine for, say, my blog, where presumably if I enabled comments they'd just be Friday and the occasional angry Sonic fanboy, but it is completely unsuited to any comments thread with more than about ten posts in it.

Course, on top of that it won't fucking let me post at all. It let me post once, and I'm clearly logged in because when I click "reply" it opens a text box with my name above it, but when I hit Post it dumps me back to a login prompt, and when I click the "log in with Google" button it briefly opens a popup and then dumps me to a registration prompt. I submitted a help request yesterday morning and haven't gotten a response; one assumes they're swamped with similar issues. (Lots of people in the comments section reporting the same problem or similar, though obviously since they're able to comment now they must not be having it anymore.)

Somebody over on AV Club After Dark (a Disqus channel somebody (Dikachu?) created) commented,

Frosstbyte wrote:It's a pretty bizarre butterfly-effect sequence of events that led us to this point, though. The AV Club (THE GODDAMN AV CLUB) might end up going away because Gawker posted a Hulk Hogan sex tape half a decade ago (which all of us there roundly and loudly laughed about the whole time). I mean, it doesn't guarantee that Univision wouldn't have done away with it eventually for some other reason, but who would've expected Gawker's idiocy and refusal to back down from Hulk would lead to their BK, selloff to Univision, and now the Kinjapocaplyse.

(I responded, "Well, really because Gawker outed Peter Thiel," because I just can't pass up an opportunity to point out that Bollea v Gawker wasn't really about a sex tape, it was about a billionaire retaliating against a critic.)

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:54 pm

where presumably if I enabled comments they'd just be Friday and the occasional angry Sonic fanboy

I'd also occasionally pretend to be angry about Sonic to give you a good cross-sampling
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:54 am

Oh, the kind of fandom I'm talking about can't be faked. The people who heckle me about Sonic have clearly had years of study.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:54 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:54 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:20 am

This is fantastic.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:12 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:26 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:06 am

The Opposition with Jordan Klepper is pretty clearly a case of Comedy Central going, "Well, The Nightly Show didn't work out as a replacement for The Colbert Report; clearly what we need to do is make another show that's exactly like The Colbert Report." On down to using the exact same "black Republicans always get invited up onstage right behind the podium" joke that Tim Meadows was doing on Colbert in 2005.

It's not bad. I like Klepper; it's got potential. The first episode didn't hit it out of the park or anything, but then, Colbert took awhile to really find his groove too.

But in a world where we've already got 2 weekly political comedy shows headlined by former Daily Show correspondents, a late night show headlined by a former Daily Show correspondent, and The Daily Show itself, plus Jim Jefferies and Seth Meyers (and I guess Bill Maher but fuck that guy), shit's getting a little crowded. I'll probably check back in with Klepper periodically, but I can't see my way toward watching this four nights a week at this point.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:04 pm

"any peer reviewers seeking to challenge the survey’s methodology or criticize its findings can also call the number"
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Standing in for The Onion today is... UK's Business Insider?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:27 pm

Onion: Roy Moore says he will not meet with reporters for any more interviews unless they are reporting for a high school newspaper.

EDIT: The Onion is ON FIRE today:

These burns are so hot, I think I got singed just reading them.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:14 am