Batman (created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane)

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Batman (created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane)

Postby Mothra » Sat May 14, 2016 9:35 pm

WOW that animation looks shitty.

Bal

Postby Bal » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:43 pm

For some reason they based it on the the fucking recolor, but the performances look great. One night only in theaters nation wide. I'll be going.

Rico

Postby Rico » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:38 pm

That's my dad's birthday! Fun family events!

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:49 am

Wow, I hadn't seen that. It sure is Bolland-y.

And I usually love Bolland's colors. But what a weird choice on those pages.

...or, well, a totally pedestrian choice instead of a weird one like it should have been.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:57 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:16 pm

That looks amazing. Fucking giant Bane.

I refuse to believe any arkham guard would ever say "Freeze" to Freeze, though.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:39 pm

Oh fuck yes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:29 am

I saw the first Batman Unlimited movie. It was a lot more boring than any cartoon about Batman getting a wolf that transforms into a motorcycle has any right to be.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:05 pm

I did not see it and have no interest in seeing it, but based on some spoilers I've read, I strongly suggest steering clear of The Killing Joke. As phenomenally gross as the original was, they managed to make it even grosser.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:01 pm

Vulture's got an interview with Timm about it. He seems pretty skeeved out by the whole thing himself.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:58 pm

That whole interview gives a picture of Timm as not at all into The Killing Joke itself, or making an animated adaptation of it. He just got put on the project and doing as good a job as he can staying true to a book he dislikes:

Given that you’ve always been uncomfortable with the way Barbara was used in the original comic, did you ever consider getting rid of the sexual aspects of what’s done to her? Maybe just have her be crippled and leave it at that?

No.

Like I said, ever since the comic came out, I've always been ambivalent about this particular story. It's not my favorite Alan Moore comic, especially compared to the other things he was doing back then, like Miracleman, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Swamp Thing. It has always disturbed me and I made a real concrete effort going into this project: I’m not going to try to put my own "spin" on it. I’m not going to make it a Bruce Timm movie. Warts and all, the story is what it is. It’s kind of a classic. And as uncomfortable as some of this stuff is, it's not my story. I’m just the guy who’s putting it on the screen, so I didn’t want to change it and make it more palatable to my own sense of taste.

But I think it’s not as extreme as it could’ve been. We didn’t go out there waving a red flag like, Hey, we want an R rating! It’s horrible, but it’s relatively tastefully done, as was the comic. In this day and age, we clearly see way worse things. Even on prime-time TV, sometimes, on shows like Hannibal or even Gotham, in terms of explicit violence. We needed to stay true to the comic.

Doesn't explain the added Batman/Batgirl romance, but I want to believe it wasn't his idea and he's just saying he went with it out of respect for the others.

I want to believe.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:37 am

Sorry to be the guy who reminds you of this, but Bruce/Babs is DCAU canon.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:03 am

There's another Batman '66 animated movie coming, with Shatner as Two-Face.

No official word on whether it's adapting the Ellison pitch that was adapted as a comic by Wein and Garcia-Lopez a couple years ago, but that's where the smart money is.

I mean, if they do a Batman '66 Two-Face story that's not based on Ellison's, he'll just say it is and sue them. Might as well cut him a check upfront and avoid the hassle. Might even get a few more customers if his name's on the box.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:26 am

Return of the Caped Crusaders is as fun as I'd hoped. Plus it's meta as fuck.

I loved the part where Batman followed up "You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts!" with "This is an operating table. And I'm the surgeon!" But I think I liked the part where Catwoman pleaded with Batman to retire with her to Europe and sip coffee at a cafe, and Robin responded with "Holy unsatisfying ending!" even better.

Also, one of the sound effects was "SPRANG!"

If there's anything disappointing, it's the stuff that's inevitable: most of the people from the old series are no longer with us, and the ones who are are really old. It's a delight to have West, Ward, and Newmar back, but they're in their seventies and eighties and they sound like it.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. Bring on Shatner.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:21 am

From the Batman: TAS bible:

Chances are, anyone who’s reading this already knows a considerable amount about Batman. For the past fifty years he's been a major figure in almost everyone's childhood. His legend and lore have been told in comic books, radio, television, and movies. Known to all is the story of his origin: young Bruce Wayne, orphaned when a robber killed his parents, swore to devote his life and fortune to wipe out crime. He spent years traveling the world learning secrets of martial arts and criminology. With his training complete, Bruce Wayne returned to Gotham where he used high tech gadgets, his brilliant detective's mind and the fearsome costume of a bat man to wage war on the superstitious, cowardly members of the underworld.

Now that we've dealt with his origin, we can put it out of the way for the remainder of the series. We'll say it here first -- in the run of our series, we will do NO STORIES ABOUT BATMAN'S ORIGIN. Nothing about his parents' murder, the film they saw at the movies before they were shot, the theater usherette who happened to see them go into Crime Alley seconds before the gun went off, etc., etc... if you're thinking up stories along those lines, flush them. Granted, there's a tremendous history in Batman's early years, but that's been done to death in the comics and it's not the Batman series we're doing TODAY.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 am

Batman '66 TV series also barely touched upon Batman's origin, didn't they?

kashan

Postby kashan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Didn't they do an episode about the movie they saw though?

Edit: Nevermind. I was misremebering the Grey Ghost episode.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:48 am

zaratustra wrote:Batman '66 TV series also barely touched upon Batman's origin, didn't they?

Oh yeah, a lot less than TAS. TAS didn't tell the origin story straight-up but it was still a significant piece of the backstory. Batman '66 mentioned it, I think, twice in the first two episodes; Bruce briefly explains that the purpose of the Wayne Foundation is to rescue desperate people before they commit desperate acts like the man who killed his parents.

kashan wrote:Didn't they do an episode about the movie they saw though?

Edit: Nevermind. I was misremebering the Grey Ghost episode.

Yeah, they had a few episodes like that that were kinda in the ballpark, but never told the origin straight. Early on, in the first appearance of the Scarecrow, Batman gets dosed with fear gas and starts hallucinating pieces of the murder, mixed in with his father telling him he's a disappointment; Perchance to Dream has him wake up in a world where his parents are still alive (another hallucination, as the title implies); Appointment in Crime Alley does what it says on the tin; Robin's Reckoning is all about Bruce seeing his own tragedy in Dick; the Hugo Strange episode (I'm blanking on the title) shows bits of the origin too; Mask of the Phantasm has a good big bunch of Year One in it. Off the top of my head. And not including spinoffs. (The moment where Terry convinces Bruce to let him keep the suit is when he tells him he wants to stop the man who killed his father; in The Savage Time, the Justice League goes to an alternate timeline where the Nazis won the war and Batman is a resistance fighter, following the murder of his parents by the Gestapo. Superman tells him they need to go back in time and fix the timeline; Batman says "So my parents won't be killed?" and Superman says something like, "Er, I'm afraid I can't guarantee that.")

So yeah, it's not that Batman: TAS shied away from referencing the Waynes' murder; it referenced it pretty much constantly. It just never depicted it. (Or, it depicted it a few times, but there was always some kind of twist so it wasn't quite exactly as it happened.)

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:39 am

The JLU depiction of Batman under the Black Mercy's influence in For the Man... is just fucking brutal to watch, too. But yeah, it's definitely something that gains emotional power by not being directly used. It's like the commentary on Robin's Reckoning goes into: Even though they were showing the death of his parents, being forced to show the scene so indirectly forced them to be better storytellers and improved the impact of the scene.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:06 am

Yeah, I meant to mention For the Man Who Has Everything; that's another good example.