beatbandito

Re: Perfect Porkchops

Postby beatbandito » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:49 pm

steven universe has been canceled

prepare for the adventures of the new crystal gems next month

Classic

Postby Classic » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:12 pm

my heart actually sank a little before i realized that was you making a funsie :-(

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:24 pm

I would like to declare a competition for the Steven Universe...

Best of the First
best of the 'verse

This is a show that has a lot of heavily character-driven moments, so it can be difficult to figure out where you can bring someone in to it and have them enjoy. Thesis over, opinions start now. (ps spoilers)

Cat Fingers: has always been my first choice, because it's the first episode I saw and I fell in love with the series. I feel the strengths for a first episode lays in the lack of Crystal Gems. They set the scene 'Steven you have powers but are bad with them', then leave for the rest of the episode. That's a strength you see in a lot of earlier episodes. Not necessarily the gems leaving, but simple concepts being explored. It is also quite dark, and does a good job of leveling out the more kiddie moments that may scare people off. I give it 4, no 10, no- aaaaahhh it's taking over my entire body / 10 cat fingers.

Steven & The Stevens: Similar to cat fingers! This one front-loads the quirkiness though, so minds may be made up before it gets good. It's also more of an ending reward for the concept than an entirely strong episode. But, you know, that is one hell of an ending. Also low gemage, but good Amethyst moments that I think are pretty contextless. 7 / 10 stevens

The Pilot: This was originally the first episode's place, but I think the pilot may be the most well executed episode of the series. It does a great job of frontloading all it needs to of the concept and goes to work. It also has some of the best character moments for the gems, including the greatest set plan Garnet has ever established. This is all having seen it coming back as a fan though, so it was less experiencing the singular story that the show existed in at the point, and more like seeing the high school versions of people you've only known as adults. Plus it comes with the downside of having to explain why everything is different if they give way to another episode. 8 / 10 duplicated donuts.

ok now u

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:31 am

Because too many of my friends are judgypants wearing assholes, they need tools to get on board and OK with the fact that Steven is a little dumb and a little annoying.

My first try is usually "Bubble Buddies". If you don't like Steven and Connie being giant nerds together, you more or less know the show isn't for you. There's no growing into it. It is also a good episode because the significance of Connie's bracelet is alluded to in Gem Glow, and anyone interested in going back to earlier episodes after this will be instantly turned on to how the show wants you to pay attention to, and mull over, small details.

The first try is also the best, but if someone's on the fence: "So Many Birthdays" helps the viewer understand that the Gems really are mysterious aliens. And also that they agree Steven is occasionally annoying. Knowing a show agrees with me is important to determining if I want to continue watching it. This episode basically says, "Yes. You were right to see and think these things. You are so clever you." and it is nice.

Finally if I have to pick 3...
I tried starting someone on "Lion 2: The Movie" because I'd been treating them to a bunch of Miyazaki flicks and that episode is biting off of Miyazaki more than usual? While they were willing to keep going, they remained frosty on the show. So maybe this is actually not as compelling as I thought?

Oh and uh- I give this post 3/3 ignored numerical ratings. Which was totally intentional and not because I forgot and couldn't sort out my feelings enough to put them into numbers. &/10

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:56 am

Steven, what the fuck? Go help the Rubies already.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:54 am

I'd add Island Adventure to that list. It's got great character stuff, a great song, and a good number of surprises. It's usually the one I start people off with.

Postby Newbie » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:38 pm

I really admire the work that went into Flood Order, but in practice trying to share this show with people is excruciating no matter how I go about it, so I've pretty much stopped.
tiny text

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:55 pm

Postby Newbie » Fri May 05, 2017 2:55 am

The new episodes from the upcoming Bomb all got released on the app, so watch out for spoilers.
I feel very ambivalent about these episodes, and the way that they end. I feel nervous.
tiny text