Postby beatbandito » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:07 pm

check out these original storyboards for the finale

beatbandito

Re: Perfect Porkchops

Postby beatbandito » Sun May 12, 2019 3:49 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:51 pm

I watched the movie until Steven and Greg guitar fucked and made their mom / love rival super horny with rock and I vomited on my dick and passed out.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:23 am

I don't think that's a fair description of what happened.
I'd say it's more like they turned Greg into a Jojo to confuse Pearl out of her amnesia.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:28 am

I've been thinking about what to write in an actual reaction post or whatever but nothing's really coming. It was fun, but nothing particularly new or exciting. From the fan reaction I guess this was what they needed to see Rose wasn't all that great after all, but the series got that across fine, I thought. And while the consequences of the attack are more the story than her motive, Spinel's thing is basically just Lapis again.

Fan service was fine to great. Fully one third of this movie is explaining the series, then the rest of the movie is kind of flashbacks. Pearl should definitely have a singing introduction for every gem though.

The ending is also suuuuuuuper derp Steven literally turns his back on Spinel the moment she helps them. The drill is drained but not even Beach City is destroyed, any 'well it's all about change' is immediately montaged back to everything is the same forever forget that whole thing about change being important. Also Diamonds just swapping in Spinel for Pink and not dealing with either's actual problem but letting them run off together so it's not your problem is almost a beautiful solution to mirror Pink's abandoning Spinel but I absolutely do not think that was the point.

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:38 am

why the hell is his name steg when he was obviously trying to get pearl over her grievin'

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 am

This movie fucking destroyed me. Drift Away is just brutal.

I absolutely adore Spinel. This whole thing, start to finish, was absolutely fantastic.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:18 am

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:50 am

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:12 pm

literally the first thing Pearl does on coming into existence with no memories is start singing her introduction

fuck off peridot you knew what music was

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:39 am

Yesterday I was reading a really long-winded post about how we're supposed to dislike Spinel and the story of the movie is about how toxic people aren't your responsibility to take care of and such. I've been thinking about if there's even any way to reconcile interpretations when someone takes the same scenes and moments as you in a complete opposite way, and ultimately there's just one thing I keep coming back to on it.

We need another movie about a completely broken Spinel's raid on a decommissioned weapons plant to get her new toys.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:08 am

I feel like this comes from the same place as the "why should I be held accountable for what my ancestors did?" mindset does. Just a want to push off this undeserved burden.

Steven's mom basically created Spinel, fucked up her life horribly, and then died without ever resolving the multitude of issues she'd loaded her with. It's not Steven's fault, but it is mostly his responsibility to try to make it right. If he doesn't, nobody will.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:40 am

and a chaser for that shot

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:44 pm

That (chaser) reminds me
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:36 am

Future Thoughts (spoilers):

Jokes are getting in the way of the point. Some of the working gems'* second jobs being things they enjoyed but were just really bad at. Naming the pink pearl Volleyball. Not nearly enough grief for Greg's hair.

*What was up with all the gems finding their place with seemingly free labor for the town? That was a weird foundation for the actual plot.

Steven keeps fucking his moms and its weird.

The intro is pretty meh.

Still some really good character moments.

Not crazy about how there's seemingly a shift to physical abuse with pink p & d and Steven's mastery of The Glow. If we're going to really start getting to the root of issues, why make them different ones from what we were already building on? Not implying it's the intent but it feels kind of like it's been decided "the emotional problems were solved by admitting them, the mental problems aren't lasting, but now we have a real issue to get into."

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:51 pm

is there any fantasy/scifi show where "no, see, THIS species REALLY, intrinsically enjoys working for others" is not problematic

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:40 pm

I don't think it was implied anywhere that their labor was free. Except maybe when Steven reassigned them.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:26 pm

well they don't need money, so it's just weird that it was specifically jobs. Not like, that they found tasks they liked completing and were able to use those tasks to help out beach city, but specifically about finding existing rolls that would certainly otherwise be paid positions for humans and aren't necessarily gemcentric or whatever.