Perfect Porkchops

beatbandito

Re: Perfect Porkchops

Postby beatbandito » Wed May 09, 2018 1:01 pm

zaratustra wrote:
beatbandito wrote:I mean, fuck, Pearl was always and kind of still is just following orders. I'm not really expecting them to fully follow this thread, but it kind of makes Pearl not a Crystal Gem in the philosophical sense that everyone else is.

Well she does say this to the very first gem that comes along trying to re-enslave her - "I didn't fight a thousand-year war for this planet's independence to take orders from the likes of you!" So she has *some* skin in the game. Er, some nacre in the game.

Which is similar to how Yellow Pearl reacts to Peridot trying to order her. Also Perry is basically telling Pearl that since Pearl's master is gone Perry will be her knew one, which doesn't rule out Pearl still feeling like she's following her master.

But also when looking back into that stuff I remembered that Yellow Diamond ordered Y and B pearls to doing backing vocals for her song to Blue Diamond, but there's pretty much a whole song about Peridot learning what music is on Earth, so I'm back to not going quite as hard in the theories.

Ultimately I expect the next episode to be the standard third act fight between the main characters, possibly followed by a steven bomb's worth of hurt feelings before something happens that brings them all back together in time for the season finale.

Really the best thing happening for this show right now is not knowing how episodes are going to be airing and in what batches, so it's a little bit harder than the classic Law & Order "we're still on the order part at 40 minutes, is this guy going to kill himself or get let off by a corrupt system?"

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed May 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Supposedly there are some spoilers out there potentially dealing with the series finale, so I feel like this might be it -- the final countdown. (It's also why I clarified I was talking about the most recent episode, and everyone else has been too.) Granted, that could mean this year, or next year, orrr ..

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed May 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Postby Newbie » Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Niku wrote:Supposedly there are some spoilers out there potentially dealing with the series finale, so I feel like this might be it -- the final countdown. (It's also why I clarified I was talking about the most recent episode, and everyone else has been too.) Granted, that could mean this year, or next year, orrr ..

I've seen 'em, and I'm skeptical.

I think some people are arguing that this stuff is final endgame material because they've invested too much faith in a specific potential ordering of expected future events, and this leak would appear to undermine that, if the events it depicts take place prior to the series finale. But it's ambiguous: we may not be seeing what we think we're seeing. And even if we are, this series could simply take a different shape than the one some fans were expecting.

Personally, I think it's likely that the leaks are from the beginning of season 8, with the series finale at the end of that season, because the Golden Ratio suggests that's how many episodes we'd need for A Single Pale Rose to be the major climax of the series.
tiny text

TA

Postby TA » Sat May 12, 2018 2:34 am

I thought they'd been saying that the fifth season would be the final one.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:33 pm

I haven't seen any new episodes yet, but apparently Lars is Filipino and it is the most important reveal of the series.

Postby Newbie » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:15 am

There was an episode tonight.

Reunited.

If you haven't seen it, you need to fucking catch up immediately. This is the best, gayest, craziest, most arc-fulfilling episode of Steven Universe to exist. You liked "The Return"? Okay, double or triple that. The status quo has been—excuse the pun—shattered.
tiny text

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:13 am

Did I hear right that there has been a sixth season confirmed after this season?

Because hooooooooooooooly.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:32 am

Apparently the Filipino thing was from a cake he made in Lars and the Cool Kids. What a terrible article.

Anyway Reunited felt so good. After letting this bomb wash over me the only thing that sticks out as an annoyance is the cluster completely removing itself as an issue. I understand that Steven's influence calmed it down, but I thought the original point was that the sheer mass of it would destroy the core when it formed, never mind the constant hell any of the shards that are a part of it experience. But evidently it ends up being about the size of a large boat, is totally together and united in its motivations, distracts yellow for as long as the plot needs then goes right back to sleep. And a little bit of "no, Bismuth, I'm not the gem that didn't totally follow your plan to destroy the diamond, I'm the diamond you wanted to destroy. Anyway let me sit riiight next to this lava with you while you digest that".

But otherwise it got a lot of plot done while keeping character motivations and situations pretty pure. Also bonus points for the best reaction shot of the bomb going to the Maheswarans during the ceremony.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:58 pm

pink's ship has an ass

Postby Newbie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:03 am

Now that a bunch of long-foreshadowed truths are finally coming out, it seems terribly fitting that we should now find a bunch more mysteries heaped upon us.Namely, what the FUCK is up with WP/WD? Why does WP's gem placement imply she should have belonged to PD, and why vice versa?

I did like the analysis I read on MetaFilter that concludes that the Diamonds are basically a WASPy family: Yellow, the longsuffering and dutiful first child, Blue, the middle child who's emotional and overshadowed by her elder, Pink, the rebellious youngest child calls out the family for being hypocrites, and White, the mother-knows-best matriarch who refuses to engage with the behavior she disapproves of and is the perfect embodiment of the concept of rigidity. Steven Universe is a coming out story.
tiny text