Videogame music appreciation thread

François

Re: Videogame music appreciation thread

Postby François » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:13 am

There's this album of Street Fighter 2 vocal arrangements that came out in Japan in 1992 called Nesshou!! Street Figher II, and as far as I'm concerned, it's largely a bizarre, nigh-unlistenable cultural artifact. Except that they brought in legit bluesman Hi Tide Harris to do the vocals and guitar on M.Bison/Balrog's theme and that elevates it to something dangerously close to sublime.

An instrumental version of the album was released several months later, and it turns out that replacing the original lyrics on Balrog/Vega's theme with a piano track makes it into my all-time favorite rendition of the piece.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:18 pm

I'm sorry all that really does is remind me of this.

François

Postby François » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:22 pm

Well, it's all in that weird "holy crap why does this even exist" category for sure; maybe some part of my appreciation here is that that I'm real surprised I managed to find a couple tracks where I wasn't immediately like EW NOPE.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:49 pm

gothic neclord and SoM fuck yes

also BD

(also, the top 10s are user-voted, not this guy's personal top 10)
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:24 pm

Give this track from the game gear version of Gunstar heroes a second to get going and then it becomes this amazing song. It makes me want to perform it on a stage with conventional instruments and lyrics and a roaring crowd.

http://tsamurai.pyoko.org/music/08RollingChaser.mp3

François

Postby François » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:21 am

Hmm. The Gunstar Heroes soundtrack is in a weird place for me, where I have very fond memories of it, but it somehow doesn't really hook me anymore nowadays. I never heard the GG version though, and man I get what you mean about this track; the Genesis version is definitely richer, if at times a little busy, but this one feels like a better, cleaner showcase for its melody.

François

Postby François » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:49 am

Man, Dungeons of Dredmor still has my favorite "unexpected but successful and appropriate musical homage/reference" of all time. I bet the Germans have a single word for that.

(In the unlikely case someone's derping out on this one...)

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:47 am

It turns out that Zophar dot net (where I'm sure most of us downloaded our first emulators around the time of the new millennium) has a great music section now where you can stream pretty much any old game sound track or even download the whole thing in its native format or a zip of mp3s.

It's pretty sick.

Also, it's pretty much the only place I've been able to reliably find Game Gear game soundtracks which as it turns out, are often pretty awesome for whatever reason. I'm so glad I can finally listen to the level music of the Game Gear version of Dragon Crystal which I enjoyed so much as a youth and which differs greatly from the Master System version of the game for whatever reason.

For a first use of it, why not listen to the wonderful soundtrack of Itadaki Street for the NES?

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:29 am

Yeah, VA-11 HALL-A is a pretty great game in a lot of ways.

I'm digging this metal track from one of the PS2 Dynasty Warrior games.

François

Postby François » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:23 am

Lyrai wrote:Please listen ot the VA-11 HALL-A soundtracks.

Dang, that's a nice sound. Reminds me of some SNES-era SMT music somehow, all relaxed and peculiarly... I want to say... off-modern? I'm not even sure what I mean by that. It has a retro feel to it but clearly goes for a futuristic atmosphere too. Kind of like the Brigador soundtrack, not in the sense that it's that similar but more like I'd be describing it that way as well. Let's see, what's a great one on there...

Spooky Skeleton wrote:I'm digging this metal track from one of the PS2 Dynasty Warrior games.

Oooh yeah. I tend to think of almost every facet of the art direction in that series to be sort of muddy and dull most of the time, even though I actually like playing these games to a degree that surprises even me. But every once in a while it does something that really really works. My personal favorite is still...

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:08 pm

I've been hanging out with this guy on twitch for a while now who does playthroughs of old games and also does long streams of taking requests to play drums to any old video game music.

I decided to make a recording of him playing some to Alberto Jose González's Hostages soundtrack. He's playing with the ZX Spectrum version which has the best version of the music in my opinion, even though I only played the NES version as a kid (Rescue: The Embassy Mission).

I sent a link to Alberto and he thought it was pretty cool. Heh.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:44 am

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:32 pm

"You're listening to smooooth jazz, 91.7: The Last Wave"

http://www.zophar.net/soundfiles/sega-m ... 20Wave.mp3

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm also currently writing corny lyrics for this sweet jam.

http://www.zophar.net/soundfiles/ninten ... ck%205.mp3

It's some level music for TARGET - RENEGADE. Is that like the Technos Japan Corp game Renegade that started the Kunio-kun series of games? Sort of!

Ocean bought the rights to publish console and home computer ports of the original arcade version of Renegade in English speaking countries. Part of the deal they made for the rights was that they got to make their own two sequels to the game, one of which was Target - Renegade.

It's probably a terrible game (Renegade sure was), but you know what happens when a western publisher farms out development of some crappy game to the cheapest bidders: Tim "mother-fucking" Follin--that's what happens. WHAM!

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:14 am

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Brandish was a weird series of action RPGs where your topdown view of the protagonist remained locked and the map sorta swirled around you as you turned back and forth and walked around. It was originally made for Japanese PCs (NEC PC-98) but it saw some SNES versions and even a PSP sequel.

The third sequel however, never saw a console port and it had some pretty bonk tracks (and just a LOT of tracks in general, holy snikeys).

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:31 am

I know, I know, it's Mega Man, but lets just take a minute to appreciate how cool this track is anyway

http://66.90.93.122/soundfiles/nintendo ... e%20II.mp3

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Man you don't have to sell me on Megaman Fucking Wily Fort 3.
ImageImageImage