Videogame music appreciation thread

Kayma

Re: Videogame music appreciation thread

Postby Kayma » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:31 pm

I could ride Mega Man baselines straight into the sun.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Friday wrote:Man you don't have to sell me on Megaman Fucking Wily Fort 3.

Kayma wrote:I could ride Mega Man baselines straight into the sun.

I know, it's just, Mega Man is so played out for me.

ON THAT NOTE, HERE'S SOMETHING FRESH AND NEW. OOH SHINY.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:58 pm

I've been leaving the poor Super Nintendo in the dirt lately while I listen to synthier Genesis tracks or the crunchy chirps and molasses boops of NES, Master System, and Game Gear PSGs.

Let the VGM jazz queen return.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm a big fan of all the race track tunes in Famicom Gran Prix II: 3D Hot Rally (which I believe is a Famicom disk system game so we never saw it over here).

Wind Commander is cool
http://66.90.93.122/soundfiles/nintendo ... 202%5D.mp3

and Monster Dance sounds kinda like a remix of the Ice Hockey match music to me, although Brent Weinbach from Legacy Music Hour disagrees with me vehemently.
http://66.90.93.122/soundfiles/nintendo ... 203%5D.mp3

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:32 am

Spooky Skeleton wrote:Wind Commander is cool
http://66.90.93.122/soundfiles/nintendo ... 202%5D.mp3

This is really good.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:50 am

Biometal in Japan had a good title theme

Biometal in America is a little different

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:49 pm

I like them both.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Friday wrote:Man you don't have to sell me on Megaman Fucking Wily Fort 3.

But... What about... This?

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:49 pm

You can kill every one of us, but the spirit of the military on the Max-Power will live forever. That's what this track says to me.

You should put your drums on this track (your eardrums).

http://66.90.93.122/soundfiles/sega-gam ... -Power.mp3

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Neil Baldwin is an Englishman who worked for Eurocom back in the NES days as their main audio composer for all the games they made. About 7 years ago he discovered that chip music was back in vogue and started blogging about his old work from back then and he also created some chiptune software. He made a couple of trackers for both PCs and even the NES itself that allowed you to make NES music the way he did back then.

His blog mostly detailed some of the intricacies of NES sound work, using tracks from games he worked on - usually in chronological order too - as examples. But what I mostly liked about his blog was that he posted all of the old soundtracks from those games in the blog posts where he talked about them using this neat little flash player. He even posted music from the never actually released Eurocom game "Erik the Viking" in both MP3 and NSF formats.

I've had a fickle appreciation of western chip composers for a long time, but I've kind of come around on the better ones like the Follin brothers and even Rob Hubbard--and Neil was capable of some pretty cool stuff too. His tracks tend to be very tranquil and rhythm based, but some of them still have a pretty cool melody which makes me dig them (it's what I like generally about Japanese NES composers, that they tend to focus on melody). He definitely has a distinctive style that sets him apart from other NES music which I think is really cool.

This James Bond Jr. track he did is one of my favourites and I think it's very emblematic of the Baldwin sound in general:

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 am

that may be the best thing to ever be connected to the 'james bond jr' name

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:00 am

(skele)doot
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:37 am

The Moon today is in a Waning Crescent phase. In this phase the Moon's illumination is growing smaller each day until the New Moon. But that doesn't mean that Moon related game sound tracks aren't as awesome as always.

Moon Crystal is a weird platformer made by the small-time Japanese developer Hect (Hector) who only made a handful of games. They made super Japanese horse racing betting games with cute box art.

And they also made this Super Famicom game called Stealth that's kinda like a poor-man's X-COM, except that you're American G.I.s in Vietnam hoping that one of the villagers near you isn't a Viet Cong who's about to throw a grenade at you. So, I dunno, it feels a little too real to me.

But anyway, Moon Crystal has some really oddly high frame count animations in it which gives it a fairly distinctive look when you see the game in motion; and it's also got some sick tracks.

http://66.90.93.122/soundfiles/nintendo ... tal/09.mp3

An other Moon game is Dead Moon, a shmup for the bizarrely spelled TurboGrafx-16 that has this neat intro track that makes me think of an 80s teen movie.

http://66.90.93.122/soundfiles/turbogra ... ng%202.mp3

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Y'all probably know about Shiren the Wanderer and all the other Chunsoft roguelikes that they made (all the Dragon Quest ones) or gave their blessing to (Chocobo's). These were in a way hard R Roguelikes because the founder of Chunsoft (Koichi Nakamura) was literally directly inspired to start making Torneko no Daibōken: Fushigi no Dungeon based on his experiences playing the original Rogue.

If you're like me and your older sister's boyfriend had a game gear or you're not like me and you had a Sega Master System, you might have played Dragon Crystal or its follow up Fatal Labyrinth with its terrible North American and great Japanese box art.

But did y'all know that there were yet other roguelikes in the 8 and 16 bit eras? I bet it had not even occurred to many of you to wonder or care! Well, Konami cared. They made this game Cave Noire for the Gameboy in '91 that didn't get translated until someone in the emulation community decided to square that away. Now you can play it in English on your flash carts and enjoy some great tunes.

http://66.90.93.122/soundfiles/gameboy- ... 0%2303.mp3

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:51 pm

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:26 pm

"Tim Follin never made a sound track for a Sega Genesis game in his entire career."

It seems impossible right? The 16-bit, synth sensation that was the Genesis seems like it was specifically made for the Follin sound. Hell, Silver Surfer practically sounds like a Genesis sound track even though it's a god damned regular Nintendo game.

Well, it turns out that it seems impossible because it was impossible. The future may refuse to change, but the past apparently displays no such poetic stubbornness. Tim Follin did indeed manage to squeeze out at least one Genesis soundtrack, but for a game that was doomed to never be released: Time Trax. Based on the short-lived 90s American-Australian co-produced sci-fi television series of the same name (which featured appearances from at the time current and at the time future Star Trek Alums, John de Lancie and Jeri Ryan), no one would hear any of its soundtrack until the younger Follin brother himself (Geoff and Matt are both older than Tim) released it onto the Internet in 2013 and it's pretty great.

http://66.90.93.122/soundfiles/sega-meg ... redits.mp3

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:30 pm

If you dig Konami, but want something a little more Castlevaniary than Contrarific, I recommend the soundtrack of Mouryou Senki Madara. It has that classier, fantasy epic nature to it. Here's a cool track from it:

Corridor of Flame

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:17 pm

I love all the goofy voice clips

sei

Postby sei » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Digging the shit you're linking, Geo. Keep it up.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:05 pm

You know, pinballers had music too.

I think I posted some stuff from Dark Knight 2000 on here before, but check out this background theme from the Gottlieb classic, TX-Sector

Oh also BONUS TRACK

Tetris Attack was scored by a a couple of young Japanese women and a dude and it's got some really cute tracks.

http://66.90.93.122/soundfiles/gameboy- ... 0Stage.mp3