Podcasts where it isn't stand up comedians talking and talking (and talking)

beatbandito

Re: Podcasts where it isn't stand up comedians talking and talking (and talking)

Postby beatbandito » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Now that Fast Karate is all but officially dead, anyone have suggestions for podcasts that are basically just friends riffing in tangents based off: bad anime, video games, and/or 24?

mharr

Re: Podcasts where it isn't stand up comedians talking and talking (and talking)

Postby mharr » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:28 am

Metal Slime wrote:Super Best Friendcast is my goto for games and other nerd bullshit.

Question regarding what is now Castle Super Beast that I've been unable to usefully google: Do I know these guys from some other games podcast about eight years back or do they just have default Canadian gamer voices?

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:56 pm

mharr wrote:
Metal Slime wrote:Super Best Friendcast is my goto for games and other nerd bullshit.

Question regarding what is now Castle Super Beast that I've been unable to usefully google: Do I know these guys from some other games podcast about eight years back or do they just have default Canadian gamer voices?

No podcasts prior and if by some chance they were on some I don't know about, it was purely as guests.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Recently, a vintage lingerie boutique owner here in Toronto started up a podcast called Garter Girls. They talk about lingerie and fashion and all sorts of things. It only has two episodes so far, but it's fun to listen to.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Wait. Have I not plugged NeoScum yet?
NeoScum is a Actual Play podcast where a group of young improv friends play Shadowrun. So it's exactly what the title of this thread doesn't want. But NeoScum Good.
That's the 'meme' everyone always repeats. NeoScum Good. And for a good reason. It's funny and a bit raunchy. Everyone is having a great time and I haven't laughed that much at a podcast in years. There's a lot of real emotional meat to the show after a while to the point I just got past a good couple of episodes where they all went to therapy.
The cast is super friendly on Twitter and on their streams.

They have a couple recap eps to look for if you want. But basically I have not found a podcast with a better following or crew.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:49 pm

I just discovered the reason for VGHD's podfade back in August and it is Not Pretty. Looks like I'll be replacing that one with Jim's personal podcast at https://topiclords.com

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 pm

Looks like it's been removed already. Was it the victim? I can see someone in that situation rapidly having to take their Twitter private.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:46 pm

That seems almost certain, yeah. The podcast was pretty obscure but Kingdom of Loathing, and more recently West of Loathing are big enough to ensure a sizable Sad Puppies Victim Harassment Corps. Yet another superficially woke dude turns out to be predatory camouflage I guess.

The westofloathing subreddit has links to the whole sordid mess in a stickied thread FWIW. The google document is still up (Trigger Warnings: All of Them.)

Feels like AJGatherer speaks for me when he says "Yeah I'm kinda reeling from this. I've been following this bunch for a decade and I don't know how to feel other than shitty."

While we're here though I'll shout out to https://redpagespodcast.com, which is yet another standard gaming cast hosted by friends of Jim. It's essentially the unofficial Frog Fractions developer show. (Caution, horrific mic volume imbalance ahead.)

JD

Postby JD » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:52 pm

Fall of Civilizations is a podcast about... well, fallen civilizations. The first episode is about Roman Britain.

Well There's Your Problem is an irreverant podcast about engineering disasters. It examines both the design flaws and systemic causes of disasters and the changes that were put in place afterward as a result. The first five episodes are on donoteat01's Youtube, so you should start there.

mharr wrote:Question regarding what is now Castle Super Beast that I've been unable to usefully google: Do I know these guys from some other games podcast about eight years back or do they just have default Canadian gamer voices?

Castle Super Beast's precursor, the Super Best Friendcast, dates back to August 2013, but their earliest Lets Plays date back to 2010.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:10 am

JD wrote:Castle Super Beast's precursor, the Super Best Friendcast, dates back to August 2013, but their earliest Lets Plays date back to 2010.

OMG thank you, those anime avatars were going to scratch around just out of sight in the back of my brain for the rest of time.