Netflix and Kill Me

Sharkey

Re: Netflix and Kill Me

Postby Sharkey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:09 pm

I honestly didn't expect Devilman to commit to the original (sort of) ending. If you zoom in on that last scene you can see Shinji strangling Asuka in the background.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 pm

zaratustra wrote:I just want to say

yeah there's a lot of gay subtext and not-so-subtext between ryo and akira, fanfiction writers

but before going "omg they're so cute together" consider that one of them tore the other, literally, in half

that's not a healthy relationship

Oh no! Are you saying that a relationship where half the pairing is literally Satan...isn't healthy?

How amazing! I have never heard of this before! Of course, we must always only be interested in perfectly healthy, equal relationships. Otherwise...I don't know, something bad will happen. Like reading an enjoyable tragedy or something.

EDIT: This was a bit snappish, because it's a major sore point. Sorry, been getting too much of this from people who are serious.

...but it's still a damn stupid thing to say.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:24 am

why did i watch Final Space this is not funny it's just incredibly depressing jesus christ

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:16 am

Disenchantment is good, but would probably be great if it didn't suffer from Netflix Bloat pacing issues. I could honestly see someone going in and editing a few minutes out of each episode and turning it into a much snappier show. It's much more Futurama than The Simpsons, which is A-Okay by me, both in the characters (Bean, Elfo, and Luci are not one to one matches for Leela, Fry, and Bender but .. they're not exactly NOT either) and the serialization. Several of the episodes stand alone just fine but it is more heavily continuity focused than Futurama was. You don't need to know why one episode ends with a gag about Bean getting into trouble and the next episode begins with her being punished for it, because if this was on TV and you had missed the prior week the context is more than enough on its own, but like a lot of creators in streaming they know you're not going to be missing anything anyway.

Most importantly, the sign gag game is on point. There are some groaners and some greats, just as it should be.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed May 08, 2019 10:54 am

tuca & bertie is extremely good. importantly, it's not a "put it on in the background and listen to funny things being said like the show is actually a podcast" kind of comedy cartoon, because the animation filled to the brim with jokes and surreal moments that actually uses the medium to its fullest. it is absurd and wonderful. (but also the voice cast and writing is also extremely good also.)

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:46 pm

Niku wrote:tuca & bertie is extremely good

Just want to second all of this. What a wonderful show.

I finished all of Dragon Prince and She-Ra recently. Dragon Price is... like, half great, half way too kid-targeted for me. Way more so than Avatar or Voltron, Dragon Price feels like it needs to end every scene on a joke or punchline. Undermines the (potentially great) drama all the time.

That said, I adore the brother/sister characters so much I'm willing to forgive a lot.

She-Ra is of course great, particularly in season 2 when Scorpia, Entrapta, and Cattra get room to really shine. The episode where Scorpia is trying to ask out Cattra whilst She-Ra becomes drunk on corruption energy is easily the best ep of the show so far.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:45 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:12 pm

Muffin Top theory applied to television.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:30 pm

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:03 am

how dare youuuu

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:04 am

Uh oh, she's been living here too long. Though I didn't realize I was this contagious.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:05 am

meh

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:21 am

It's not terminal until Buge starts posting pictures of a smug looking man
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:24 am

Talk to your doctor about Mongrelilioma to find out if Mongrelilioma is right for you

side effects include posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, being followed by cats who are constantly shaking their heads, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, and wearing funny hats and driving a motorcycle while posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, posting, and posting.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:12 pm

If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with Mongrelilioma you may be entitled to financial compensation

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Friday wrote:being followed by cats who are constantly shaking their heads beeping for their breakfast/lunch/dinner/elevenses

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Slammed Doom Patrol last weekend and The Boys this week. I didn't plan it at all like that and it ended up working out pretty well for contrasting content but the same general idea. Both deserve more of a look than I'll get into here and now, but here we go.

Doom Patrol: Is a full comic universe (specifically the DC... streamomatic universe?) with smaller, more personal character stories. I don't know the Doom Patrol history other than #FF catching me up on the 'current' group having been essentially recreated from the corpses of forgotten Fantastic Four ripoffs. The show covers that, and in fact unless I stopped listening at the end of the season, the characters we meet aren't even the Doom Patrol, that's a reference to the original group. It's a kind of grimdark world, but one that works with the narrative being from multiple damaged characters' perspectives. Larry's background and relationship with the Negative Spirit / BoN was actually incredible and the gayest (in a good way) musical number since Steven Universe.

The Boys: Is a 'realistic' grimdark world with goofy characters, which is basically the inverse of Doom Patrol. It's all about danger, fast cars, fire, knives, and all those other hardcore tools. The goodguys are bad! The badguys are good! Everyone sucks and you get to watch helpless people die and totally enjoying it for the deeper narrative your pants are totally on you swear. Actually, now that I'm really trying to think about what to talk about it's kind of not great overall. Each side of the central conflict develops and makes decisions in a 'sensible, reasonable' way based off their characters and the information they have, but outside of specific intense scenes it doesn't really feel like the show goes anywhere. Pretty early on you can guess about where it's going to go, and it does about go there. And then there's another episode still to wrap it up and introduce essentially an entirely new plot for the next season which very clearly has already been greenlit.

Basically watch The Boys with friends on a Friday and be like "aw damn, that's fucked up!" and then watch Doom Patrol alone on Saturday morning crying like "aw damn... that's fucked up..." But both are anime in that wackiness you can expect in essentially every scene.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Doom Patrol was very good all the way through, I thought. Definitely the best of the DC shows by a wide margin. Very, very well-cast, good story, good character work, weird as hell, no afraid to take risks - it's all good. I'm a little iffy on Crazy Jane's story but sometimes she has a really good ep and I'm back on board (the one inside her mind, in particular, sticks out to me).

The Boys I found completely miserable, just like, territory that's been tread a million times before, and way better. Hell, the recently cancelled Tick show deconstructed superheroes without making it a bland joyless slog. Ugh. I watched the first two eps, then skipped around the remaining episodes to see all the juicy Superman atrocities. I'd say the highlights of the show are the fucked-up plane rescue sequence, and the jesus camp bit where the crowds are just eating up the narrative Homelander's spinning out about being the second coming.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:24 pm

My only real complaint with Doom Patrol was the last two episodes and The Chief's Daughter. Everything else about his past I felt ramped up perfectly with the pace of the show overall, but then suddenly it's like "we told you that story to tell you this one" and Mr. Nobody found out about it at the same time as the cast and the viewer. AND there's another regular character wrapped up in it for no real good reason except essentially just so it wasn't COMPLETELY a new set of circumstances for the finale.

I would've preferred if they ended on the penultimate episode where they win in an emotional fight against Mr. Nobody and no one's really happy, with lots of room for new growth and exploration into the chief's prehistoric sidepiece and in that way I think The Boys' ending beats it by giving Hugh the chance to defeat A-Train himself, in a reasonable and foreshadowed way. He does something kind of dumb and is bailed out by Annie's heel-turn, but even then gets a win that only he could have. Meanwhile Butcher has both his chance for revenge, and then his entire reason for vengeance, torn up in front of him by his own villain.

But just so I don't make a post that is only pointing out a negative of Doom Patrol and a positive of The Boys, DP has one aspect that is leagues above anything amazon tried. No spoiler tagging because the spoilers are the entire point.

Larry's story introducing his homosexuality and making it a big part of his character is so perfect for how they develop it. We see his family already frustrated that he can't change, his concerned lover, and his own personal pain before we see his accident. Our introduction to the Bureau of Normalcy, the spirit's relationship with him are all introduced as part of this fear of his own sexuality. And by the eight episode or whatever it's just like okay, I am now as tired of this character as I am of all similarly abused tropes. And then we meet Danny The Street, and see the BoN objectively, and see inside Larry's mind. And it's like... shit, right, this is a guy with a magical, cancerous space ghost inside of him. Larry's own inability to get over his past and see that he's not restricted like he used to be is entirely inside his own head, but it just seems to make such perfect sense how it's presented from his perspective that yeah, the government really does just hate the gays and want to hunt him down for that, and that's why normal people treat him weirdly, and everything else that is so easy to accept as a stupid but logical state of the world that has you perfectly in Larry's shoes The end of the musical number absolutely made me cry. I read into the character a bit more and I'm really hoping in this version he's not still radioactive and the bandages aren't doing anything but giving him comfort because if not the scene of him getting prepared in the group meeting episode loses a lot for me, but it already happened and was great without any outside knowledge.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:13 pm

Definitely agree that the last two episodes left me a bit cold, despite every actor's best efforts. Weird to see them rush into something after spending so much time on character development.