Wild Westworld C.O.W.-Boys of MMO Mesa

Sharkey

Wild Westworld C.O.W.-Boys of MMO Mesa

Postby Sharkey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:11 pm

Westworld is fucking good.

And by that I mean has me deeply concerned about the heterodox way I play MMOs games life.

Büge

Re: TV Series On The Television

Postby Büge » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:11 pm

For example, casually using the word "heterodox" in a sentence.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Büge wrote:For example, casually using the word "heterodox" in a sentence.

Yeah, I should dispense with the sesquipedalian loquaciousness and restrict myself to a more demotic manner of speech I talk like a fag and my shit's all retarded.

Anyway, we got snowed in yesterday and binged on Westworld while baking absolute shitloads of cookies. It's just fucking excellent TV and I'm kind of surprised there wasn't already a thread in which everyone had already flipped their collective shit, but here I see that shit's just sitting there getting burned on one side.

I mean, it's got your requisite Do Androids Dream of Electric Dick thing with actual pathos, HBO gore and titsposition except it's more repellent than titillating, and a bit of indictment of the audience without going full Tarantino and burning down a theater full of actual Nazis to make sure you didn't miss the point. And then there's the fact that it's a top notch TV show about what's essentially an MMO, or the Matrix without a 90s sense of hipness drizzled all over it. And given where I land in Bartle's taxonomy of player types I should never be allowed anywhere near this place. A sequence breaking asshole more interested in taking things apart to see how they work somehow seems more monstrous than a garden variety sadist.

Fuck, guys. This thing is so far up your alley it should just stay there and open a farmer's market.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:19 pm

That wasn't a criticism! I love learning new words. You should be a teacher, Sharkey. :)

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:23 pm

Funny. I was making a start on an education degree, but scuttled it following recent events. I just don't want it anymore.

I dunno, maybe I'll just make profanely informative youtube videos or something.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:29 pm

Sharkey wrote:Anyway, we got snowed in yesterday and binged on Westworld while baking absolute shitloads of cookies. It's just fucking excellent TV and I'm kind of surprised there wasn't already a thread in which everyone had already flipped their collective shit, but here I see that shit's just sitting there getting burned on one side.
No thanks, I already saw Battlestar Galactica.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:33 pm

Haha, that's a relevant point - I always want these things to be over and for people to be just as enthused about the ending as they are the beginning, before these shows really get my attention.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:17 am

Westworld episode 7 spoiler:

Oh so you made a robot clone of your partner.

and literally NOBODY NOTICED?

There was not a SINGLE PERSON IN THIS ENTIRE COMPANY that realized, hey, an exact copy of the COMPANY CO-FOUNDER is walking around but now he is an engineer guy and wants to be called 'Bernard'?

Sharkey

Re: Wild Westworld C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa

Postby Sharkey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:37 pm

zaratustra wrote:Westworld episode 7 spoiler:

Oh so you made a robot clone of your partner.

and literally NOBODY NOTICED?

That bugged me a little bit, too. It's like if Steve Jobs had a Wozniak realdoll he insisted on bringing to board meetings. I think they implied that he tried to basically write the guy out of history, but it strains suspension of disbelief. It helps a little that it looks like the place is run by a skeleton crew compared to its early past. There's a passive implication with the enormous empty spaces that this was a company that once employed an awful damn lot more people than it does in the present, and most of the ones there now probably weren't around in the beginning. Still, yeah, that made my eye twitch a little.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:21 am

heh, I read the title's topic as Cowboys of MMO Mesa.

I thought the whole "sparse crew" was a budget thing but that doesn't make sense if they can just hire a hundred extras to stand in a basement naked.

Finally saw the last episode - I must say the end of the Man in Black was clever. I had noticed some inconsistencies like Dolores being an old-school robot and having a wound that appears and disappears every scene but didn't realize what they added up to.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:41 am

Same. Just watched the last one tonight, and I really was not expecting that twist in the least.

I will say that the last three episodes became bleak and violent at the expense of everything else. Violence wasn't shocking or significant after a while, since it became so fucking common, and the bleakness wasn't really all that effective, since nothing contrasted with it. It almost became boring for me?

Which is crazy, because until then I really could not get enough of this concept. I think the problems came when you never got the good along with the bad and the ugly.

Oh well - glad I saw it through, and again, loved about 3/4ths of the show to death.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:43 am

zaratustra wrote:heh, I read the title's topic as Cowboys of MMO Mesa.

God that is such a better title.

Changing it.

Thad

Re: Wild Westworld C.O.W.-Boys of MMO Mesa

Postby Thad » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:06 am

Finally got around to watching the first couple episodes. It's as good as everybody said. I'll share more thoughts when I'm done.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri May 18, 2018 11:46 am

New season's been solid. Only a few in so far.

Wish they hadn't of immediately established how far in the future this show was based on the military tech level. Still using boats and bullet guns, dipping their toes into fairly basic holographics. Before then I the outside world could've been at absolutely any tech level, in any state, and we would've been as clueless as the Westbots.

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Wed May 23, 2018 11:30 pm

The repeating stories in Samuraiworld makes sense since assholescriptwriter pointed out that the dailies are easy mode copy and pastes, which was also brought up by William's brother in law. Although with Ford's coup spread through the park, the town should have been a flaming wreck because no one was doing repairs anymore.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu May 24, 2018 5:56 am

someone called Dolores' storyline "Dolores' boreline"

I guess William's storyline hasn't been much either but heyo

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed May 30, 2018 8:02 am

Shogunworld is nice but the drama kind of rings hollow when they have park personnel right there come on even Dolores figured out you can just reboot robots.

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:18 pm

New episode.

Having Hopkins back is nice but the bodyjacking is less so since taking himself out of the game was supposed to be a huge plot point where his creations are let off the leash.

Cradle destruction scene was just so bad..

1.Just got out of combat with Hosts.
2.Hosts have shown they are willing and able to kill you and your squad with guns and bare hands
3.?????
4.Why of course it is time for sex with one!

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 am

"you hosts were built to be nobler than humans"

*cut to yet another fucking massacre of humans*

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:21 pm

review of season 2:

*noise of a balloon slowly deflating*