Weird Al

Thad

Weird Al

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:41 am

Weird Al is doing a pared-down tour next year, no costumes or videos, based around his original songs rather than his parodies.

Tour dates

I am excited. I've seen Al in concert enough times that I've lost count*, and he puts on a hell of a show, but like many Al fans, I prefer his originals to his parodies. (I have seen him do Dog Eat Dog, Dare to be Stupid, One More Minute, The Night Santa Went Crazy, and Albuquerque in previous live shows, so it's not as if his previous tours have been all-parody, but they've been mostly parodies.) This sounds like exactly the kind of Weird Al show I'd like to see.

And hey, if you're a Weird Al fan and haven't been reading Nathan Rabin's The Weird Accordion to Al, you should be. It's a song-by-song review of Al's entire discography; today he's up to Frank's 2000" TV -- which is exactly the sort of song I'd expect to hear on this new tour.

* it's at least six (3 at the State Fair, 2 at the Celebrity, 1 at the Dodge) but I think it's probably more.

Mongrel

Re: Weird Al

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Ooooh neat.

EDIT: And the Toronto venue is practically right down the street.

TA

Postby TA » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Apparently the only theater doing a show within four hours of me is one of those shitty places where you have to be a paid member to buy tickets, and those tickets usually end up being scalped. So that's fun.
のほも is such a good word?? the concept is kind of hard to fully get across in translation, but basically it means a feeling of pure, deep, platonic affection, and i think thats beautiful

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Yeah, it's happening like .. five minutes from my apartment. I'm hoping I can get tickets, since it's also a place that does pre-sell to loyalists.

(Also please read the Nathan Rabin entries. It makes me sad every time he talks about how they're the lowest trafficked posts he does.)

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:54 pm

I want to get tickets in March for the town thirty minutes from me. Also want to pay the almost $300 for a meet and greet and photo op.

You get a free watch!

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:57 am

Niku wrote:(Also please read the Nathan Rabin entries. It makes me sad every time he talks about how they're the lowest trafficked posts he does.)

He did mention an uptick after Al recently linked it from his Twitter; hopefully some of the new readers stick around.

I also think that feature in particular is likely to have a long tail. I do notice that my comments on the Weird Accordion posts get upvoted weeks and sometimes months after they're written, so they're definitely attracting some latecomers.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:17 am

That's a good sign I suspect; it probably means he hasn't been superseded by some other authority on the subject, so eventually anyone reading up on this stuff will make their way to the series.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Well, got tickets at the local music hall, definitely not as good as what I usually aim for because they do the same deal of early sales to members. But it's Weird Al.