Words that make you want to choke or at least slap the poster

Romosome

Re: Words that make you want to choke or at least slap the poster

Postby Romosome » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:37 pm

I need to see Prudence's reply. Did she slap her?

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:04 pm

But nothing did happen. You received a thoughtful gift that cost more time than money. That’s it! If someone gives you a present you don’t like, you smile and say, “Thanks, how thoughtful,” and then stash it in the back of your closet. You don’t ask your kid to complain to the gift-giver via backchannel. It’s fine if you like to give expensive presents—and can afford to do so—but that’s not the only way to show someone that you care. Even if you don’t like knitwear, your daughter-in-law spent countless hours over the course of a half-year working on something very detailed for you, and you say yourself it was a lovely bedspread. Whether she got the yarn with the gift card you gave her or spent her own money is beside the point; you’re acting as if she re-gifted something when that clearly wasn’t the case. Your daughter-in-law’s gift was thoughtful and intricate; yours was financially generous and relatively generic. There would be no reason to compare the two if you hadn’t insisted on doing so in the first place.

You are grown adults with plenty of money; if there’s something you want for yourself, go ahead and buy it—this kind of petty scorekeeping around gift-giving is barely excusable when little children do it. Writing her a letter to express “sadness” that her own parents didn’t teach her proper etiquette would be wildly inappropriate, out of line, and an unnecessary nuclear option. And it’s a guaranteed ticket to make sure you see and hear about your grandchildren way less than you do now. You still have time to salvage this relationship—don’t die on this hill. Let it go, apologize for your churlishness, and take yourself shopping if you want a pricey gift this year.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:26 am

No no, that's the wrong advice Prudence. This woman is a fucking idiot, tell her to write the letter because you're right, it will limit her ability to see her grandchildren and that is a very good thing.

Also, it's nice to see that the knitter's curse isn't just for sweaters. Time and effort pale in comparison to MONEY, the only thing that matters in life.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:28 am

also holy shit, I could start an entire thread about how much I hate gift etiquette.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:33 am

Friday wrote:No no, that's the wrong advice Prudence. This woman is a fucking idiot, tell her to write the letter because you're right, it will limit her ability to see her grandchildren and that is a very good thing.

Yeah, that was some kid-gloves shit. WTF

Of course it appears that the Internet is now doing what 'Prudie' should have done all along, which is to mercilessly pillory Granny Poison.

Also, it's nice to see that the knitter's curse isn't just for sweaters. Time and effort pale in comparison to MONEY, the only thing that matters in life.

Apparently the drama around knitting and crocheting is just insane.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:57 am

Time and effort pale in comparison to MONEY, the only thing that matters in life.

I get the feeling the supplicant would have accepted a gift in time and effort if it had been something distinctly unpleasant like mowing the lawn or going down or punching herself in the face or whatever. See, the problem here is that the daughter-in-law professes to enjoy knitting. Therefore, the time spent is of no value, because it's a hobby. Even if it produced an admittedly lovely and useful object, there was no sacrifice involved, so the gift is valueless. Losing money is inherently painful, so a gift with a high cash value is always appreciated. If it doesn't have that, then you need to prove you worked for it somehow, or it's not a proof of love.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:24 am

As an amusing coda to this, the Daily Mail wrote it up as an article with their usual random scare quoting style of 'neutrality', hoping to turn it into a comment war between gramma's supporters and detractors. Even in that forum there were precious few of the former.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:11 am

Brentai wrote:something distinctly unpleasant like [...] going down

You, ah...is there something you need to talk about, buddy?

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:47 am

Would you want to go down on the supplicant?

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:23 pm

You know what makes me want to slap people? When theyd on't send me their info.

Last call for Dirty Santa. Send me your details in the next hour and a half or you're not in.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Friday wrote:Words that make you want to choke or at least slap the poster

cuck

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:21 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:32 pm

Man... few things bring out the Crazy like weddings do!
Hey everyone!
Who's ready for Hawaii 2019?
In anticipation of the wedding, and believe me, I know it's a longgg way away...but

I would still like to announce the dress code! I am giving you a long notice of a year and a half so that you will have time to find and pick out something nice :) The dress code is very specific because it will be used to create an incredible visual effect. If done right, it will make our synchronized dancing along the beach really pop.

SO, without further adoo..

WOMEN (100-160 LBS)
-GREEN Velvet Sweater
-ORANGE suede pants
-Loubotin heels (the famous RED heeled shoes. when we spin and lift our feet, the effect will amaze you)
-Burberry Scarf

MEN (100-200 LBS)
-PURPLE Fuzzy Jacket
-Soda Hat
-All White Trainers
-Plain Glow Sticks

WOMEN (160 LBS +)
-all BLACK sweater and pants. Any material.
-BLACK heels

MEN (200 LBS+)
-all CAMOFLAGE
-BLACK sneakers

CHILDREN
-RED from head to toe. Remember the kids will form the shape of a heart, it needs to be true red not blood orange or some bullshit!

Additionally, we will require that you wear formal attire after the dancing has ended. Please bring a change of clothing. Remember, the venue is extremely upscale, and we want to be looking our absolute BEST ladies and gents please, it you look like trash, so will we. All jokes aside, we want you to invest in an outfit valued at at least $1,000. This includes jewlery, accessories, makeup. and hair. Remember ladies and gents, this wedding is 24k themed for a reason.

You have a year and a half to get working. No excuses! Mwah

And when the inevitable happened...
Hello Invitees!

A VERY Important Update. Please read.

It has come to my attention that someone went all the way down in this groups creation to screenshot the dress code requirements. The screenshot was taken wildly out of context and has gone semi viral on Facebook and Reddit. I have seen MY POST twice on my regular Facebook account. I could not be more crushed, betrayed, or saddened. I trust each and every one of you so intimately. Knowing someone went behind my back and made fun of me is one of the worst feelings everywhere. And boy, will you be paying.

Therefore, I am announcing one of the most unique parties you will ever be invited to in your life (besides my actual wedding.) In honor of the snitch who sold me out, I will be hosting the first ever Polygraph Party at my house, this Saturday at 8:00PM. Bring your inner Sherlock Holmes because we will be hunting out the snitch who put me on blast. You think I'm kidding? I'm not. We just bought a real polygraph test for $99 on Amazon. After the testing is over and we find the rat who did this, we will all celebrate with drinks and appetizers. If you can't make it to the Polygraph Party, you will be presumed guilty unless you can provide a valid excuse. We can make this party a unique and good one that will be told for years to come. I promise, as long as you're innocent, you have nothing to worry about :)

I highly suggest whoever did this just tell me. I won't retaliate, I will simply cut all ties and communication with you (and talk shit about you for a long, long, time.) If you have any information about who violated my trust and my wedding planning, I will give you $100.

Next-- if any of you are unhappy with the dress code requirements, it's okay! You can come talk to me :) Instead of participating in the dance, you can help the crew clean up after dinner, volunteer to take videos of our dance, or even contribute to the honeymoon. Anything counts.

Finally, I am outraged at the comments these internet trolls have made about the dress code. DO YOU FUCKING KNOW ME? DO YOU KNOW WHY WE ARE DOING THINGS THIS WAY? No??? Then shut up! Go back down to your scum basement and play video games and never fucking make comments about people you don't know. My husband and I are certified spiritual healers with over ten years of experience. You all know this. Our wedding colors, fabrics, and intimate synchronized dance are something we hold very dear to our hearts. The expensive clothing represents the riches we wish to come. The black and camouflage outfits represents the aura of the devil that we must shoo away. The soda hats represent our wishes for an abundance of life saving liquid. You get the picture. We met at a psychic's desensitization chamber over 12 years ago in Italy, as you all know. Why not bring our traditions and beliefs into our wedding?

Would you show up at an Indian persons wedding and make fun of their culture and their tradition? If not, don't judge ours.

Anyway, I am so tired having to explain myself over and over. Please keep me updated.

<Chex> Can someone please find whoever posted that and set them on fire, tia

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:06 pm

holy shit

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 am

FURTHER UPDATE:

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:51 am

The best part is her faith that there was a single 'snitch' and the rest of the coterie are therefore 100% on board. Should be searching for the one friend that isn't gleefully sharing the crazy.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:36 pm

...so who snitched the follow-up?

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:36 pm

I think we all know how much faith to put on a $99 polygraph in untrained hands.

Which is to say: way to go, Stephanie, for identifying and seizing a way to escape from this person forever. If you were actually the poster, that's just icing on the cake.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:54 pm

I was thinking the other day about this and there really is no possible way anyone would actually go to this person's wedding. Like, I cannot imagine one person deciding they wanted to do this.

Anyways here's more:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 pm