Marvel's Agents of P.B.B.B.B.T.

Thad

Re: Marvel's Agents of P.B.B.B.B.T.

Postby Thad » Wed May 07, 2014 12:49 am

Having spent the past 20 episodes pointing out everything that's wrong with this show, I scarcely know what to do after watching an episode that was legitimately fucking flawless.

It's a cliche at this point to say "This is what the series should have been from the start," but this IS what it should have been from the start.

The 1940's spy tech, Coulson finally acting like the character we liked in the movies TWENTY-ONE EPISODES IN, Coulson and May parroting Fitz and Simmons, the entire villain arc -- not a false note to be had. Finally.

Course, now that it's finally good, it's down to just one more episode this season. But I guess I'll stick around for season 2, having finally gotten an example of how good this show can be.

Bal

Postby Bal » Fri May 09, 2014 2:43 pm

ABC picks up Agent Carter series in addition to renewing Agents of SHIELD for a second season. I really enjoyed the short, but I'm a bit dubious about the premise supporting a prime time drama.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri May 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Gonna agree that this last episode of Shield was a joy. Reeeally hope they keep this up.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Bal wrote:ABC picks up Agent Carter series in addition to renewing Agents of SHIELD for a second season. I really enjoyed the short, but I'm a bit dubious about the premise supporting a prime time drama.

"Period piece" is pretty much at the top of the list of what I'd like to see out of a Marvel adaptation. Granted, I'd rather it be a Fantastic Four movie set in 1962, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm going to take the high number of Howling Commandos namedrops on SHIELD as a good sign for any Marvel spinoff set during WWII.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed May 21, 2014 10:07 pm

Enjoyed that finale, quite a bit. The episode before it was still probably the highlight of the show, but this was quite good.

Also... best twist return at the end, ever.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:52 am

Second season started yesterday. It comes at you kinda fast, with new faces and such, but it's a strong showing. The reveal with Fitz and Simmons was super-sad though. And it's nice to see actual superpowers coming into play, because just earlier today I was thinking about how the MCU has been kinda short in that regard.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Yeah, really solid start to season 2. Not perfect but a damn sight better than most of last season.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:46 am

I haven't really said much about the show lately, but man, season 2 really is pretty good.

The guy who reviews it at ComicsAlliance noted the other week that he's kind of having the opposite reaction to season 1 -- season 1 he kept going in expecting the show to be good and then nope, not actually good; season 2 he keeps expecting it to be bad since that's what he's been conditioned for, and keeps being surprised that it's good.

I think a big part of it is that they've made the principals a lot less bland. Ward is a fuck of a lot more interesting as a villain than he ever was as a hero, Fitz and Simmons are a lot more interesting since being split up, Hunter, Mockingbird, and Mac are all solid additions to the cast, and...well, Trip's really been shortchanged this season, and that sucks, but everybody else has been solid.

And we've got more interesting villains this time around, right from the get-go. SHIELD is fighting nazis and mad scientists with anger management issues, like it should be.

Fuck, last night they managed to make the Skye's Parents plot interesting. Sure didn't expect THAT was ever going to happen.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:48 am

Agent Carter is off to a much better start than SHIELD's. I think a big part of that is that it's FUN -- it's got goofy '40's gadgets (a razor that turns into an antenna that turns a typewriter into a text messaging system! And people say "Vita-Rays" with a straight face!), big band music, a Captain America radio show, and Jarvis is a butler again! It also seems a lot more comfortable with its place in the Marvel Universe than SHIELD did pre-Winter Soldier -- I'm not talking about the constant clips from Captain America because frankly those are a little tedious, but Howard Stark figures prominently into the story and we've got some decidedly weird villains seeking decidedly SF weapons (with, again, silly names).

And it's got Enver Gjokaj in it. Hasn't done much with him yet, but given how high he's billed in the credits I'm hoping that'll change. (And that they explain how he grew back his leg and did not age for 65 years so that he could be a policeman when the Chitauri invaded in Avengers. :comicbookguy:)

It's also got James Urbaniak in it, but I had trouble figuring out who he was because so far he has had fewer lines than the guy with no working voicebox and I had to look up what he looked like.

Anyhow, so far so good. And I think it's because it's embraced all the stuff that SHIELD took half a season to get around to. Even without any superheroes around, it's still a superhero show that's not ashamed to be a superhero show.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:42 am

You know, I was just wondering the other day if we'd ever see the Purple Man in the MCU.

It turns out we will, and David Tennant will be playing him on AKA Jessica Jones.

So that's two Doctors and a Pond as Marvel villains so far. You know, I think Matt Smith could totally pull off MODOK.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:50 pm

All caught up, finally. It's been encouragingly good.

Killing Trip was absolute BS.

I really like Skye's dad.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:08 am

Finally got around to finishing season 3.

SHIELD's biggest problem at this point...well, SHIELD's biggest problem is that Chloe Bennett's acting range begins and ends at "dull surprise". But its second-biggest problem is that it does not trust its audience to understand things like symbolism and metaphor, and feels the need to explain them in dialogue, constantly.

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel. That makes me feel angry!

When the show gets out of its own way, it can be pretty good. Or at least when it rips off other, better shows. (The best episode of the season was, without a doubt, the one that shamelessly cribbed from Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose.)

Next season it's getting a later timeslot and Ghost Rider. So maybe those things will make a difference.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:23 pm

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel. That makes me feel angry!

ImageImageImage

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:09 pm

Thad wrote:Next season it's getting a later timeslot and Ghost Rider. So maybe those things will make a difference.

Nicolas Cage with CGI abs or riot.