Friday

Re: Game musings and news

Postby Friday » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:55 pm

Thad, as always, is unaffected.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:55 pm

Rockstar tried to ban the popular FiveM mod for Grand Theft Auto V back in 2015, saying it "facilitated piracy" via an "unauthorized alternate multiplayer service." Just a few months ago, though, Rockstar acquired the company behind FiveM, citing "excitement" over the "new ways to expand the possibilities of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2, particularly through the creation of dedicated roleplay servers."

This gets to the actual heart of it, as far as I'm concerned. It's not that companies hate mods or cheating, it's that they hate that they themselves are not making any profit from them.

Except, they are. Skyrim's mods are 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000 (imagine this number of zeros bursting out of the side of your monitor and going on into space)0000000000% driving continuing fucking sales of Skyrim. And I have no doubt that the possibility of seeing Chun-Li's massive milky mommy monster majestic mammaries has caused someone WHO ISN'T ME AT ALL NOPE to buy Street Fighter.

I'm lying, of course. I can't take my eyes off of her thighs in just her regular costume, so her being naked does not actually alter my visual experience of her at all. But some other lesser person who is an uncivilized idiot might prefer her breasts for some unknown, inferior reason.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:08 am

Friday wrote:
Rockstar tried to ban the popular FiveM mod for Grand Theft Auto V back in 2015, saying it "facilitated piracy" via an "unauthorized alternate multiplayer service." Just a few months ago, though, Rockstar acquired the company behind FiveM, citing "excitement" over the "new ways to expand the possibilities of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2, particularly through the creation of dedicated roleplay servers."

This gets to the actual heart of it, as far as I'm concerned. It's not that companies hate mods or cheating, it's that they hate that they themselves are not making any profit from them.

Except, they are. Skyrim's mods are 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000 (imagine this number of zeros bursting out of the side of your monitor and going on into space)0000000000% driving continuing fucking sales of Skyrim. And I have no doubt that the possibility of seeing Chun-Li's massive milky mommy monster majestic mammaries has caused someone WHO ISN'T ME AT ALL NOPE to buy Street Fighter.

I'm lying, of course. I can't take my eyes off of her thighs in just her regular costume, so her being naked does not actually alter my visual experience of her at all. But some other lesser person who is an uncivilized idiot might prefer her breasts for some unknown, inferior reason.

Mentioning Bethesda is kind of funny, as you may have seen from Buge's posts that while they're not quite at war with modders, they have certainly been shitting on them like mad lately.

There's sort of an emerging consensus that echos something I've thought for years: There's no way the Bethesda of the 2020's can make a good Elder Scrolls VI anymore.

Now if it's just dull and empty and hopelessly sterile like Starfield, then maybe after a decade or so someone will make it into a real game, which is I guess the least-bad outcome from current Bethesda. But oh they want that paid modding trash (which just doesn't work, mechanically, especially with the rules they have like "must be completely standalone and use no assets from anything else, ever").

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:05 am

Friday wrote:I'm lying, of course. I can't take my eyes off of her thighs in just her regular costume, so her being naked does not actually alter my visual experience of her at all. But some other lesser person who is an uncivilized idiot might prefer her breasts for some unknown, inferior reason.

in street fighter 6 you can straight up talk to chun-li about how you appreciate her thicc thighs and she is not a fan of that kind of attention so i hope you are ashamed of your words and deeds

i'm not since i was the one who talked about her thicc thighs in the first place with her

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:29 am

What about her bodacious bubble butt?

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:51 pm

Friday wrote:This gets to the actual heart of it, as far as I'm concerned. It's not that companies hate mods or cheating, it's that they hate that they themselves are not making any profit from them.

Again, I'm sure that's part of it, but if it was the main thing then why Mega Man Legacy Collection? Is there a mod community for that version of those games? Because I figured Mega Man modding was mostly centered around the original ROMs.

I think there's a cultural thing here, where when American companies do stuff like this it's because they want more money but Japanese companies do it because the idea of people playing their games in ways they haven't explicitly approved is offensive in itself. I think that's also why Japanese publishers are, for the most part, the ones still using Denuvo when western publishers have mostly given up on it.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:26 pm

Mongrel wrote:Mentioning Bethesda is kind of funny, as you may have seen from Buge's posts that while they're not quite at war with modders, they have certainly been shitting on them like mad lately.

I feel like the only reason they went back to work on Skyrim was because of the lukewarm reception Starfield has had.

And they couldn't even get that right, either!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:33 pm

It's not an exaggeration to say virtually no one outside Bethesda wants them working on Skyrim anymore. Like, just stop.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:58 pm

Guess I'm a few weeks late on this but I just found out about Visions of Mana.

Making a new mainline Mana game in the engine they used for Trials seems like a pretty fucking great idea. We'll see how it works out in practice.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:09 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:51 pm

Happened to be looking through old posts and saw this, re: Making of Karateka:
nosimpleway wrote:Can you still play the game upside-down by flipping over the floppy disk before you put it into the computer?

Yes, there is in fact a menu option for that.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:12 pm

Interview with Chris Kohler about Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story

Out a week from tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:19 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:11 am

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:17 am

It's a little weird that the big list includes several entries with "You cannot do the thing this list is for".

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:22 pm

I once saw someone in a video somewhere making fun of millennials obsession with "can you pet the dog/cat" in video games in a scathing manner and i thought "wow, you are a bitter cynical sadsack fuck, and that is coming from me, the queen of bitter cynical sadsack fucks."

like it's impressive to me when people are just that much of a fucking edgelord when they unironically say "wow, those idiots who like cute things, what a bunch of carebare drooling morons"

that is the height of edgelordom, and i should know because i have stood on that peak

like that guy 100% has several posters (each) of Travis Bickle, Walter White, and Rorschach all over his walls
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:13 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:32 pm

It's got potential. Don't really get an impression of the gameplay from that trailer, but Cap and Grandpa Black Panther punching nazis in WWII sounds like a good time.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:51 pm