Resident Evil 4 Remake

Friday

Resident Evil 4 Remake

Postby Friday » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:26 pm

hi i'm in the second chapter of the castle

1. the bingo line is intact, 10/10

2. the ballistic missile line is removed, along with the missiles, 0/10 sexism removed and updated for the times

3. in general ashley behaves more like a girl and less like a teen bimbo

4. they're leaning harder on ashley having a crush on leon angle which as a fan of shoujo is 100/10 for me

5. salazar is just as ridiculous as original, 10/10

6. holy fuck the difficulty is higher, the cabin defense kicked my ass like ten times before I resorted to just expending all my grenades and flashbangs

7. i don't mind it though, and there's assisted mode for the i play videogames to relax and unwind, dark souls needs an easy mode crowd so whatever

8. quicktime events have been removed!!!!

9. though in-game prompts to dodge attacks remain, okay fine

10. i don't know if the "your right hand comes off?" line is intact but if it isn't, -100/10

11. i don't know if the "Saddler, YOU'RE small time!" line is intact but if it isn't, -100000000000000000/10

12. Red9 got nerfed, so now the choice of handgun is actually a choice, nice

13. you can still piledrive ganados from behind

14. the new parry is fun and helps with the added difficulty

Overall it's got some new twists added, very cool. Compared to the RE2Remake, it's not as amazing because the OG RE4 was already a top-tier game. But it's very very good and I'm not ever gonna see another comprehensive remake of one of my top ten videogames of all time, so yeah.

At first I was annoyed that they changed Ada's outfit but the new one is growing on me

will continue to report as I progress, but all signs point to a 10/10 video game so far
ImageImageImage

Büge

Re: Resident Evil 4 Remake

Postby Büge » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:38 am

I love that this is just a thing now

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:49 pm

Though not as good as Mouse Ashley (obviously) new Ashley is a lot better. I played some more last night and am now about halfway through Castle. They added in new scenes with her for better characterization and I'm here for it, as the youths on the grass would say whoops no they don't say that anymore yolo lit fam bae they have moved on to Rizz and Drip oops no now those are also boomer cringe.

Anyway I was always a little turned off by how incredibly Bimbo OG Ashley was. Like okay whatever she's a valley girl and to be honest it's not entirely out of place in such a goofy game about stupid American action movie tropes and one liners. But stuff like the ballistic missile line and her having 90s era videogame girl honker bonker milkers, while funny, probably deserves to be left back in 2005. With her weird oversized boots.

New Ashley falls for Leon, hard, and much earlier. Pretty much immediately, actually. I mean, I don't blame her, I also want Leon to hold me in his arms and then plow me so hard my mind breaks in half. And while her crush is still cute it's also played more serious. I'm curious if we're going to see a different ending than just "hey wanna go out with me?" and Leon brushing her off and then immediately hitting on Hunnigan.

She's also waaaay less of a brat, which is... well, I sort of liked her brattiness, so that's a neutral change for me. Overall though she's much improved. I don't like her new haircut though.

I hit Leon's first encounter with Ada last night and they fixed it. In the OG Leon thinks she died in Raccoon city but the writers forgot that and they don't even acknowledge it during the scene. They just do flips and kicks and knife shit. The kickflipping knife shit is intact (including the "try using knives next time, better for close up work" line) but Leon and Ada at least comment on how it's been six years since they saw each other.

Oh I forgot to mention the new charms you can get from doing the shooting range minigame. It makes sense, I guess, to ramp up the difficulty if you're going to give the player new powers (parry and charms for passive boosts.) I got an epic charm that makes green herbs heal for 50% more, which is nuts.

However it pales in comparison to the common charm that increases Bass healing by 100%. I came out of the Lake area with like 10 bass in my inventory and would just slam a whole Bass raw to heal to full for like the next 3 hours of game. Fucking amazing and just when I ran out of Bass to mainline I found a fountain in the Castle with 4 more swimming around. That charm has healed me for like 10 million bonus health.

Hedgemaze was even more terrifying with the new plagadog design. Just slap a huge mouth full of giant razorteeth on a otherwise normal dog model and call it good. No need to overdesign.

Oh, one more thing I wanted to mention was the greater emphasis on side missions and the Spinel system for the merchant. It's a nice idea to have an alternate currency with unique rewards. Just like with regular money, you have to budget and pick and choose your buys. It's nice to have a real economy with real choices in a videogame.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:58 pm

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:49 pm

Friday wrote:2. the ballistic missile line is removed, along with the missiles, 0/10 sexism removed and updated for the times

-10000000000/10

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:34 am

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:49 am

Well, I finished the game.

10. i don't know if the "your right hand comes off?" line is intact but if it isn't, -100/10

11. i don't know if the "Saddler, YOU'RE small time!" line is intact but if it isn't, -100000000000000000/10

this game is pure trash, literally the worst thing ever made by humans*

Highlights:

1. Ashley is so much better.

2. Luis is so, so much better.

3. No more cutscene quicktime events.

4. Holy SHIT the redone Regenerator sequence is amazing. Easily the best part of the game.

5. i forgot about the flaming guy like i always do and laughed after i screamed

Overall, I give it the nod over the OG. It's a lot more serious and you lose a lot of the original B movie campy charm, but that's the worst thing I can say about it. All the other changes were improvements or value neutral as far as I am concerned.

* okay fine technically they're still in the game as cheevos when you kill Salazar/Saddler
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:57 am