Play's Too Great: Critical Anal Success in Baldur of the GUILE

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Play's Too Great: Critical Anal Success in Baldur of the GUILE

Postby Brantly B. » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:01 pm

After Baldur's Gate 3 I could actually use a little NES-era prudishness. The orgy-on-main is honestly kind of distracting when you're trying to, like, quest and stuff.

sei

Re: Played Too Late: A Critical Analysis of Breath of the Wild

Postby sei » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:49 pm

Brentai wrote:After Baldur's Gate 3 I could actually use a little NES-era prudishness. The orgy-on-main is honestly kind of distracting when you're trying to, like, quest and stuff.
It's also annoying when you want to get to know* a character and they keep reading it like a fedora being shown platonic female attention.

* not Biblically

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:54 pm

sei wrote:like a fedora being shown platonic female attention.

shit, how have I not caught on to this? That is exactly the new ubisoft romance definition. Any attention means you want to fuck.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:25 pm

Guy: "Whatever gave them such a stupid idea, SMH"
30 years of vidja game mods:

(mainly Skyrim, of course)

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:47 pm

It actually makes perfect sense that all the PCs have sweaty nerd players that just want to doooo the opposite sex characters. Ultimate D&D experience.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:19 pm

It's Official: Baldur's Gate 3 Companions Are Too Randy Because Of A Bug

"So... it was a bug," says Vincke, discussing the state of romances at launch. "The approval thresholds were too low when we shipped. That's why they were so horny in the beginning. It wasn't supposed to be that way. We've fixed it since, at least for some of them. We're still fixing a few of them."

In news that won't surprise anyone who has so much as breathed in Gale's general direction, it turns out he's the most affected by the bug.

"It wasn't intended," adds Vincke. "Especially Gale. [He] wasn't supposed to be like, instantly there."

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:05 pm

I feel like they should just give Gale the Civ Gandhi treatment, where in the original Gandhi had a rollover bug since his aggression was set so low that it rolled over to maximum and he became the infamously bloodthirsty asshole that we all know and love. It was so funny that they just continued onwards in later Civ games making him always have maxed out aggro toward everyone.

But yeah fix the rest of them.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:26 pm

Debunked by Sid Meier, sadly. Though the part about the later games intentionally leaning into it is true.

“It is true that Gandhi would—eventually—use nukes when India was at war, just like any civilization in the game, and at the time this did strike a lot of players as odd,” Meier writes. “The real Abraham Lincoln probably wouldn’t have nuked anyone either, but the idea was that every leader draws a line in the sand somewhere. It’s also true that Gandhi would frequently threaten the player, because one of his primary traits was to avoid war, and deterrence through mutually assured destruction was an effective way to go about that.”

There were other factors that may have contributed to our collective image of Gandhi in Civilization, Meier continues. In those days, all characters used the same script, so the threat of words being “backed by nuclear weapons” was common and not exclusive to any one leader. Furthermore, the Indian civilization’s dedication to pursuing scientific development meant that it was often able to build nuclear weapons much sooner than other civilizations, putting them in play as a defensive measure in a way that might have felt super fast to players only coming to grips with, say, gunpowder.

“It’s fair to say that Gandhi could, on occasion, seem a little unnecessarily zealous,” Meier concludes.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:30 pm

Same article does mention the fact that Ghandi was deliberately pre-aggro'd WRT nukes in some later editions of Civ though (they mention Civ V, but I'm pretty sure it was a thing in III and IV as well). It is NOT however present in Civ VI (confirmed by Firaxis some years ago).

IIRC it wasn't present in Civ II, so I guess it took some time for the meme to take hold and wrap back around to the devs.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:32 pm

Yeah, I edited the post to acknowledge that.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:59 pm

Suspicion. The thing is a lot of unique interactions with characters who are a hot breath away from straddling you happen waaay early on, like, in the first real "dungeon" of the main story. I suspect it wasn't a "bug" so much as a late design choice based on how frontloaded the game is in general.

Gale in particular is easy because generally any interaction that isn't completely fucked up wins Gale's approval, which is in direct opposition to... well, everyone else, really.

beatbandito

Re: Play's Too Great: Critical Anal Success in Baldur of the GUILE

Postby beatbandito » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:53 pm

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:55 pm

Sorry, but that video paired with that avatar makes me think she's the one doing that speedrun.

GOTTA GET LAID FAST
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:08 pm

ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:46 pm

dyin here