SNES Favorite 75

Friday

Re: SNES Favorite 75

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:21 pm

70. Arcana

Do you like this music theme? I fucking hope so, because you're going to be spending 90% of your playtime listening to it.

Arcana has a gimmick in that everything is a card for some reason. Like, people, monsters, etc. But that's just a gimmick. Let's talk about what the game actually is. I actually did do a recent replay of this game, so this time I know what I'm talking about.

Okay, so what the game actually is is an old style first person perspective dungeon crawler. You will spend hours and hours exploring mazes, fighting an ungodly amount of random encounters, and opening chests. The one saving grace this game has is it actually has an automap!

Some oddities include that if any of your party members die (except for your summoned elemental) it's an instant game over. That sounds worse than it really is because this game isn't really that hard. Enemies simply don't hit hard enough to really "get you" unless you have the strategic thinking of a child. However...

Another weird oddity is that whenever a character joins your party, they are completely naked. This would be... fine, I guess, except characters frequently join you mid-dungeon! So all the sudden you have this naked asshole named Darwin on your team and he's got no armor so he dies in like three or four hits.

You can play around this a bit by keeping old armors and weapons on you, but you'll hate doing it because everything in this game is so expensive that you'll really want to sell your old gear. Man, how hard would it have been to just give new characters some basic gear when they join you!

The thing about calling this game a "slog" is that, well, that's the whole fucking point of first person dungeon crawlers. I can't really list it as a drawback or as bad design when the whole point of games like this is to spend hours and hours slogging through a dungeon. It appeals to a very specific niche in the playerbase and if you are the type of person who enjoys exploring a whole giant maze and filling the automap 100%, then this will probably be a fun game for you. The graphics are fine, good even for the time. The sfx are snappy. Each character and enemy has a nice little animation when they attack. It's a fairly well put together game, it's just... the person who would like this game is rare.

Do I recommend this game:
No. It's a remnant of the old dungeon crawler genre that was going out of style even at the time. But if you're that rare person who loved/loves the old ways, and you haven't played this yet, yeah, give it a whirl. Just be ready for an extreme timesink.
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:23 pm

Hi, it's me, the Lufia 1 defender. I plain never got into Lufia 2. Lufia 1 is colorful and cheerful and I played it before Final Fantasy 6 came out in America and I can't even really tell you WHY it hits with me, but it's mostly "nostalgic stupid kid brain" so that's my defense thank you. Also the plot and where it goes actually hit me because again "nostalgic stupid kid brain" and I absolutely loved the in media res opening. I think Lufia 1 is the only game I ever called a Nintendo Power hint line for due to some stupid cave maze at some point.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:30 pm

But Lufia 2's on the list.

It does do what I have gathered is most important to you in a JRPG, it puts the monsters visible on the map instead of having random encounters. You can even stun them with arrows to avoid fighting altogether!

The exception to this is the overworld, which still has normal random encounters. But you will be spending so little time on the overworld that it almost doesn't count.

Hi, it's me, the Lufia 1 defender. I plain never got into Lufia 2. Lufia 1 is colorful and cheerful and I played it before Final Fantasy 6 came out in America and I can't even really tell you WHY it hits with me, but it's mostly "nostalgic stupid kid brain" so that's my defense thank you. Also the plot and where it goes actually hit me because again "nostalgic stupid kid brain" and I absolutely loved the in media res opening. I think Lufia 1 is the only game I ever called a Nintendo Power hint line for due to some stupid cave maze at some point.

I completely understand this perspective. I too have games I love just because I played them with my brother when I was a kid, so. Also, I should have mentioned the opening as cool, yeah. I played Lufia 1 before 2 and when I got to the end of 2, which was the start of 1, it really hit me all the sudden because I knew how this shit was going to end.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:42 pm

69. Earthworm Jim

This might be the first entry that I get some serious pushback on. A lot of people seem to rate this game very highly!

Let me start by saying that this is basically a case of the Secret of Manas. In that it's a bad game but a good experience.

Another way to put it would be to say that this is a great game with a ton of flaws in design that drag it down. It's weird and funny but I don't know, the gameplay always just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't really have a ton to say about this one. Except that the hit detection on the whipswing points can go fuck itself. Requiring the player to make multiple hits in a row on that shit is straight up Lion King levels of bullshit.

Counterpoint: shooting lawyers in Hell.

Yeah, give it whirl. Most people seem to like it more than I do/did anyway. It certainly is weird as fuck and not without merit. I mean, come on. Using your own body as a whip is just amazing. As long as you're doing it as a weapon and not to swing around arrgghh

Also, I'd be remiss if I did not say that most people say that the Genesis version is the superior incarnation. I've never played it myself, but there it is.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:55 pm

TIER UP! We now move on to games that I'd describe as "flawed!"

68. Earthworm Jim 2

Hey, it's Earthworm Jim again, but this time the difficulty has been lowered a bit and some of the rougher stuff has been sanded down. Actually, 2 is such an improvement over 1 that if not for the endless goddamn "bounce the puppies to safety" stages between each level I'd rate this game a lot higher. It's not even that bad of a level, but the fact they make you do it over and over and over is just awful.

The humor is intact, assuming you find cows funny. And I do. I really do. The weirdness is intact. There's a bunch of new guns and the swinging mechanic has been changed from "whip this tiny pixel" to "press jump again in midair to use a slime tentacle to latch onto this slime ceiling" which is still annoying and finicky but leagues better than previously.

It's still a fun but rough experience. Just an improvement over the first game that I felt it deserved a higher tier.

also, the quiz show is legit fucking amazing.

Yeah, for the same reasons as the first. But a bit moreso as I believe this to be the superior game. Again, I hear the Genesis version is better so maybe play it over there.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:08 pm

67. Dracula X

Hi, it's me, the Dracula X defender. I remember we got into a discussion in #finalfight a while back as to which game was better: Dracula X, or Simon's Quest. It turned out that I was basically alone in thinking that Dracula X was better.

So, let's get some stuff out of the way. Dracula X is a bad, gutted port of Rondo. It's a husk of that infinitely superior game. It's also the worst 16 bit Castlevania game just overall.

But let's take a step back from all that. Is Dracula X really that bad, viewed as a standalone game?

Well, kinda yeah. It's near the bottom of the list for a reason.

I just don't think the game is complete trash like everyone else does. Simon's Quest, for example, while ambitious and interesting, executes so poorly. The enemies are just there for you to whip. No thought or design went into their placement. The whole game is so bland and featureless. I get that it has atmosphere and mood though, so I don't begrudge that people remember Simon's Quest fondly.

On the other hand, Dracula X has enemies placed in ways that are actually challenging. Too much, really. It's one of the hardest games on the system, I'd say just under ActRaiser2 in terms of "fuck you, die" design.

I suppose that's why I tolerate Dracula X more than most. I don't mind "fuck you, die" design as long as the game is good aside from that.

Dracula X isn't... good... aside from that, but it's not awful. The game has excellent graphics and sound. The music rules. It has that Castlevania feel. I don't think it's a good game, but I will defend it from being put into a dumpster where most people think it belongs.

Except the fucking spear knights. Fuck them. Fuck this game's overuse of those bastards. Every time I see one of them in SotN (where they are infinitely less dangerous) I murder them super hard because I remember how much fucking pain they caused me in Dracula X.

Also the final boss probably didn't need instant death pits everywhere.

No. It's sadistically hard and there are many better Castlevanias even from the same time period. Go play CV1 or 3 or Super CV or Rondo or Bloodlines if you want a solid Classicvania experience. Hell, even Bloodstained "classic" mode is a better game than this, not kidding.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:08 pm

Friday wrote:Another way to put it would be to say that this is a great game with a ton of flaws in design that drag it down.

It's got a really European platformer sensibility in its level design. The levels are huge, sprawling, packed with secrets, and extremely unfocused.

Did you ever get around to playing Aladdin on the Genesis? Same director.

Friday wrote:Also, I'd be remiss if I did not say that most people say that the Genesis version is the superior incarnation. I've never played it myself, but there it is.

I'm gonna say the Sega CD version, which is like the Genesis version with even more stuff, and better music.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:39 pm

There is no more American name for a game than "Mega Man Soccer"

mostly because it's "Rockman Football" in Japanese

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:52 pm

...apparently Mega Man Soccer does have an ending; it's in the game but dummied out. Possibly because it makes it look like Mega Man died on the way back to his home planet.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:54 pm

66. Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Speaking of weird dungeon crawlers, uh. Here we have a port of a CRPG onto the SNES.

It's a dungeon crawler with a little more emphasis on exploration and overworld travel (which Arcana had zero) which makes me prefer it to Arcana. It's one of those "roll your party at the start of the game" games and as such none of the characters are anything more than a pile of stats.

So how does it hold up? Not well. Like most other dungeon crawlers it's slow, plodding, and encounter heavy. However there are some funny things that make this game stand out in my memory:

1. I guess they added sidestepping into the SNES port using the L and R buttons? That's a nice quality of life feature but they forgot to code it properly, so you can sidestep through mountains and rivers when you're supposed to have to pay for swimming and mountaineering training for your party. Lol. Not a huge deal since you can just choose not to abuse the oversight but it's still funny to me.

2. So, items in this game spawn with a modifier. You might find a "Obsidian Longsword" where the base item is the Longsword and "Obsidian" is the modifier that makes it better or worse. So, this gives rise to things like "Leather Longsword" and "Leather Leather Armor." Hilarious.

3. There was some sort of bug after you cleared one of the dungeons that would just give you like, infinite gold and exp. No idea what the fuck was going on.

So, yeah. It's a buggy mess! Somehow I still remember it somewhat fondly.

Uh, I'm gonna say no. Probably true fans of the series will be able to tell you what platform you should play this on. Probably MS-DOS.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:09 pm

65. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

MUSIC: SSS++

Ah, FFMQ. What the fuck is even happeninggggggggggg

This game fuckin' rules, shutup. HAHA SINEAD O'CONNOR awww :(

What the fuck is there to say about this game to this audience? You all know the score. If this was a youtube review aimed at a general audience I'd go over how this game was made by Japan for babies from America to learn how to RPG BLAH BLAH BLAH but all of you already know that shit.

The game isn't bad, exactly. But like, come on. It's supposed to be baby's first RPG. I guess I can review it based on how well it does as an introduction to RPGs for its time?

Well... not great, honestly? Like the enemies actually do a ton of annoying status effects? I guess that's to teach the player a lifelong hatred of sleep, poison, and paralyze? The "battle damage" effect that enemies go through is legit awesome and is something I'd like to see in other games.

I'd probably hand a 10 year old Chrono Trigger as their intro to JRPGs before this game. It's just as easy and far less irritating to play. And, you know, it's one of the best JRPGs ever made too.

However, if you ever talk shit about the music in this game I will kill your entire family.

Nah. It's mostly a meme at this point. It's a sort of historical oddity that only exists as a weird footnote in the long history of weird footnotes of the early video game industry. But, like, play it over Lufia 1 or Arcana. If nothing else just to throw up the horns and headbang to shit like this:

ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:19 pm

64. Mario Paint

Is this really a "game", I thought to myself when I was making this list.

In the end, it's got that bug swatting game on it so yes. And the bug game isn't even half bad.

So Mario Paint was a really cool early creative piece of software for kids to cut their teeth on making shit. Music, art, coloring. It was compatible with the SNES mouse and was probably the one game that was any good that used the mouse.

This could easily be ranked higher, honestly. It does what it sets out to do and does it well. But it's not really a -game-, so to speak, so while I'll let it be on the list, it's got to be low. Still, I imagine this might be in the top5 for a lot of people who have a ton of fond memories of using this software.

For its time, it was an easily accessible creative software. Nowadays there are far better options for kids to fuck around in. So, no. I have trouble imagining a kid who has been mainlining Minecraft for 5 years to give the slightest shit about this ancient piece of tech. It exists now, only in our memories.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:33 pm

Rank up! Now we moved from "flawed" to "pretty okay!"

63. Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Unlike Killer Instinct, I've played enough of this game with friends that I feel I can give it a fair review.

It's fucking awesome. As previously noted, this WAS the example of an arcade port for a long time.

So why is it this low? Because I cannot for the life of me actually recommend anyone play this version. The controls are simply terrible. Fighting games require a stick, not a D-Pad. If the SNES had an adapter that allowed a stick I'd put this up a lot higher. It really is that big of a deal.

But aside from the controls, this is an amazing fucking port of an arcade classic that is still played competitively to this day. I won't say that Super Turbo is the greatest fighting game of all time, because it's not, but considering how well it has held up? Fucking every character is viable. That's unheard of even in the best modern fighters. I know this particular port isn't Super Turbo, which never saw a SNES version, but close enough.

For its time, it was an absolute powerhouse. It allowed kids to play one of the best fighting games ever made in their own homes, and aside from the issues with the D-pad, it was almost a perfect port.

Nope! Play it in the Arcade! Or some other port that supports a stick! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger!
ImageImageImage

sei

Postby sei » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:00 pm

Friday wrote: Fighting games require a stick, not a D-Pad.
That's just, like, your opinion, man.

Luffy won at EVO with a game pad. I have, while using dual shock controllers, regularly dunked on people in my friends group who play using sticks and hitboxes. I know sticks dominate tournaments, but for play vs friends and being able to transfer skills between home and the arcade, I didn't have trouble.

Also, the SNES default gamepad was a hell of a lot better for SF2 than the default 3 button Genesis one or that default 5-button* piece of shit for the 3D0 (which actually did have Super SF2 Turbo on it).

Friday wrote: If the SNES had an adapter that allowed a stick I'd put this up a lot higher. It really is that big of a deal.
Do third party controllers count?

* Not counting start and select, because have you TRIED using them to serve as a face button in a fighting game? It sucks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:08 pm

I'm the last person in the world to really comment on Fighting Games anyway, so take that review with a grain of salt. I enjoy them as spectator mostly. The only fighting games I ever got decent at were Smash 64 and Soul Calibur 2.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:48 pm

Look, forget controllers. The most important thing is if you get to trash a car or not.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:15 am

Friday wrote:I knew how this shit was going to end.

Selan. Light Magic.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:27 am

Friday wrote:FORESHADOWING

The stage is set, the green flag drops!
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:50 pm

(John Wick voice) Yeah... I'm thinkin' BattleTanx Global Assault

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:12 pm

62. Soul Blazer

I remember back when we ran the "best SNES game" poll, I had the general feeling that Soul Blazer was better than Illusion of Gaia.

Well, I played them both recently and uh, my memory was wrong.

Soul Blazer is a great game that got unfairly compared to LttP as they came out at the same time. Of course, LttP had like 10x the budget and 5x the team, but back then that kind of shit was on exactly zero percent of gamer's radar.

If anything, Soul Blazer actually has something to say compared to LttP. Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma would say it better but still. LttP has basically nothing to say other than "Ganon bad. Bad Ganon. Shoot Ganon with arrow." LttP is a masterpiece but it's got dick in the theme or message department.

Meanwhile Soul Blazer is dealing with some interesting concepts like free will and the nature of life and shit. It's very basic and IoG and Terranigma would go on to do it a lot better, but let's give Soul Blazer some credit here.

Also, the eternally orbiting ball of light was a pretty interesting mechanic. Since all your spells came from it rather than your character, it added a layer of complexity to the combat.

Unfortunately, that's about the best thing I can say about Soul Blazer's "combat".

Yeah, uh. The combat in this game sucks. Actually.

Stand next to an enemy spawner at an off-angle. Swing sword over and over. Kill enemy. Repeat until spawner is dry.

That's it. That's the gameplay.

I think I sort of edited out that before I replayed it, because I had a very high opinion of this game in my memory as an experimental work of art with some themes and shit. And I mean, it is, but my god the combat is like, worse than fucking Shadowrun. Sure, you get a few bosses to fight and sometimes when you're moving around the dungeon you encounter novel situations. Honestly though you'll be spending 80% of your time just spawner farming. And it takes fucking forever and is not optional. I'd rather grind up GP in a DQ game than this.

So uh yeah. We'll talk about how IoG does the combat better (a bit, at least) and the theme and everything else better too when we get there.

Is there, like, a hack that makes every monster spawner in the whole game only have 3 guys in it? Then yeah, if you can play that version. Otherwise it might be fun to visit on a game tourism level, just a quick jaunt through the first area and dungeon to get a feel for the game, but that's it.
ImageImageImage