Re: Hot game deals

Postby sei » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:15 am

Above offer expires Feb 2.

Get it while it's hot.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:12 am

And in case anyone is optimistic that Nintendo will sell the game after this period, they probably won't since they hadn't already. They were just sitting on this thing since their rush to give 3DS early adopters things to feel good about.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:53 pm

I thought that's what the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program was for. The 3DS actually has legitimately fun titles, at this point. We're also beyond the Pokemon bump.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:27 pm

Like I said, part of the rush.

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Dunno if it belongs here or if it belongs in its own, separate thread, but the humble bundle for this period is sid meier's sims stuff, including Civ3 Civ4 and Civ 5's latest DLC if you cough up over $15.
Crazy values.

Also, doublefine is game-jamming through them and they have an almost-equally crazy collection of stuff and DF-9 if you cough up over $16.something.

I guess their new strategy is to offer what is ostensibly a primo rank reward if you pay a not-insulting amount?

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:01 am

Another PlayStation Home minigame with a free PS1 game reward, this time it's Resident Evil: The Director's Cut. Also a bunch of F2P funbux if you happen to have a PS4 and like that sort of thing. Seems like they're planning to continue with this, too. I am pretty okay with putting up with a half-hour of crass advertising via a broken ripoff of Second Life if it means more free shit that ain't shit.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:02 pm

The first promo (with Twisted Metal, Destruction Derby and Warhawk) is apparently still up too.

Warhawk is still one of my favorite PSX games. It ain't exactly Metal Gear Solid, but it's a lot of fun to play and the vestigial FMV/game over sequence stuff is kind of endearing. It's worth the slog.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 pm

All Rockstar games are going to be 80% off on Steam from now through to the end of this weekend.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Mongrel wrote:All Rockstar games are going to be 80% off on Steam from now through to the end of this weekend.

No. Some of the older ones are.

This is one of those "up to 80%" things marketers do.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Hmm, the Steam notification I got didn't have that *asterix text (believe me, I looked).

Damn, I shoulda screenshotted it! Maybe I could have whined my way into a cheap game. Only I'm not sure I actually want any of them, lol.

EDIT: Haha, I like that the GTA "Complete Package" does not include GTA V in any way.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:21 am

sei wrote:
Mongrel wrote:All Rockstar games are going to be 80% off on Steam from now through to the end of this weekend.

No. Some of the older ones are.

This is one of those "up to 80%" things marketers do.

They're still all really cheap, though. The most expensive one is the Grand Theft Auto Complete which comes in at ten bucks.
For the White Witch!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:36 am

Yeah, I looked at the games list and think that except for GTA V, the lowest discount is 67%.

The only game that maybe interests me is Bully because it seems so different. For those of you who played it, was it any fun? Or just kind of vaguely disturbing?

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:41 pm

It's the best game where you can ride around on a scooter and punch dudes in the dick.

Postby Newbie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Man, we love Bully! This was probably the first game my wife ever played through entirely on her own and finished. It mixes up the GTA formula in a couple fun ways: since you're a student, you have morning and afternoon classes you have to get to (or skip, risking truancy violations), as well as a curfew—you're supposed to get back to your residence hall by a certain time, but you can avoid the authorities and stay out later, although you collapse from exhaustion at like 3:00 AM and get taken back to your room. If you go to class, you complete a weird little minigame that can unlock ingame rewards. Rather than guns and melee weapons, you can punch people (to very minor effect) or use stuff like slingshots, firecrackers, stink bombs, or some very rare, very potent melee weapons like a bat to deal with threatening upperclassmen. Like Smiler mentioned, your transportation is limited to stuff like your skateboard and bicycle (although grabbing onto a car's bumper on your board can get you around the town pretty quickly). The missions are surprisingly coherent and focused, compared to your typical Rockstar game, although you'll still find yourself doing things ranging from learning new fighting techniques from a hobo to sneaking through the local mental ward, taking photos of your graffiti and dealing with the school Machiavelli who wants to play the various cliques off one another. There's a great seasonal progression and holiday activities that I wish Rockstar would actually bring into the GTA franchise. All in all, highly recommended!
tiny text

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:29 pm

But would it be better if it were a magical academy?
Also, GOG is doing one of their kinda crazy holiday sales..

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:27 pm

Android port of Crazy Taxi is free through the 19th.

Looks like a decent port, for being a phone port of a Dreamcast game. Lack of accelerometer controls is disappointing. Don't know if it works with a game controller or not as I don't have any for my phone. But hey, it's free.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:58 pm

It has accelerometer controls. Go into the Settings menu and set it to Tilt.

Running this thing apparently killed all sound on my phone though. It's nice to live in an age where our telephones can have audio driver issues.

Healy

Postby Healy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:53 pm

iPad version of Aaron Reed's 18 Cadence only 99 cents up through Sunday! It's currently up for two XYZZY Awards, Best Use of Innovation and Best Supplemental Materials. You can try the game online here, I think.