Hot game deals

beatbandito

Re: Hot game deals

Postby beatbandito » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:01 pm

As far as I remember War of The Chosen is nothing but improvements (fixes and lots of new content) and definitely worth having on a first play through.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Shen's GIft or whatever it's called is also supposed to be quite good.

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 pm

War of the Chosen is degenerate as hell in all the best ways, it snowballs harder than any of its ancestors, filling your team with four-colour comic book superheroes that can do things like this:

It's a must-own, but it might not be quite what you're looking for if you were deep into the Long War or X-Piratez.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 am

Mongrel wrote:Shen's GIft or whatever it's called is also supposed to be quite good.

I poked around the links a bit and figured out that the Reinforcement Pack includes Anarchy's Children, Alien Hunters, and Shen's Last Gift. (Which would explain why it's on sale and none of those individual DLC packs are.)

The XCOM 2 Collection (which includes War of the Chosen, the Reinforcement Pack, and the Resistance Warrior Pack) is $50 on sale. The base game is $20 on sale. War of the Chosen is $30 on sale, the Reinforcement Pack is $10 on sale, and the Resistance Warrior Pack is $5, not on sale.

I've already got the base game. And the Resistance Warrior Pack is apparently just cosmetic, so I don't care about that. But if I buy both WotC and the Reinforcement Pack, that comes out to $10 more than the difference between the base game and the Collection, which is one of those things that kinda bugs me; I wish they'd done a better job of adjusting the a la carte prices so it didn't feel like they were punishing people who had already bought the game.

Not sure I'll get the Reinforcement Pack. On the one hand, reaction to Shen's Last Gift seems pretty positive, and the pack is currently the same price as SLG by itself. On the other, the reviews of Anarchy's Children and Alien Hunters are more mixed, and the people who do like them still say you don't want them on your first playthrough. I assume each one's probably got a toggle in the options menu, though.

I'll probably grab WotC, anyway.

Still gotta finish Enemy Within. Last time I played it I got stuck on the part where the base gets attacked.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Didn't end up getting anything in the Steam sale after all; looked at my backlog and started playing Trails in the Sky again.

I hear the new Humble Bundle is good and mostly Linux-compatible. Haven't decided whether I'll check it out; any standouts?

François

Postby François » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:52 pm

I haven't played much in it, but at least SR: Dragonfall and Hong Kong are definitely worth the $8.50 on their own.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:56 am

I think I remember us having a thread specifically for doing this, but I can't seem to find it.

I preordered a pc copy of Metal Gear Survive a while back on an impulse buy and now that I've been emailed the code for it, turns out I grossly overestimated how much time I'm gonna have to actually play it. Anyone wanna toss me the $30 I paid and take it off my hands? Cheaper than retail.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Big honkin' Square Enix sale on Steam. FF12 and 15 not included, but it looks like basically everything else is. NieR Automata, the Tomb Raiders, the Deus Exeseses, and so forth.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:17 pm

Pyre is 25% off on GOG ($15 instead of $20). Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Amnesia and A Machine for Pigs are free on Steam again. Install and uninstall to add permanently to account.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:05 am

The Square Enix sale has moved on over to the Humble Store.

Don't know if there's anybody else here waiting for Rise of the Tomb Raider on Mac or Linux, but here's what I found when I checked /r/linux_gaming:

chui2ch wrote:I emailed Feral about the fact that it was already showing up for Mac and Linux. I was curious if they would get credit for the sale since it shows that Tux logo but has not released.

chui2ch wrote:I received a response from Feral. If you purchase it on humble they are set up to receive credit for the sales. They also informed me that they will have it up for preorder on their website soon. So you can get it direct from Feral soon!

So, you can go ahead and buy Rise of the Tomb Raider for third-price right now, get the Linux (or, presumably, Mac) version when it's released, and Feral (the porting company) gets its cut.

Course, if you want to wait to buy direct from Feral when it's released and get Feral a bigger cut, that's an option too.

Speaking of buying direct from Feral, they've currently got the original Borderlands for $7.50, but that's Mac only, no Linux.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:10 am

Hitman Episode 2 currently free on Steam -- see "Spring Pack". Apparently you have to download it before April 3, though, which is annoying since I'm a little strapped for hard drive space.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:07 pm

If its anything like any other free deal on steam, you just need to open up the dialogue to choose where to install the game to, and then just x out of the window.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Crusader Kings II base game being given out for free on Steam this weekend.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Several good sales on; I'm getting these from Gaming on Linux but of course they all have Windows versions too. (And most are probably also on Mac. Do we have any Mac gamers here?)

SteamWorld Dig for $5 at GOG caught my eye. SteamWorld Dig 2 is on sale too, for $15.

Steam has the Metro Redux Bundle for $30.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:09 pm

I have a Mac and I play games, but not on my Mac.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:15 pm

GOG has introduced a wishlist feature, and implied that if you put some stuff on it before Monday, you might get some freebies.

I've put some stuff on mine -- hey, why not? -- but I've been surprised to see how many games are Windows-only on GOG even though they have Linux versions available on Steam (Serious Sam, Saints Row, Dying Light...). I love GOG but I'm beginning to see why most people over on /r/linux_gaming don't like them very much. The lack of a Linux version of the Galaxy client is particularly irritating; I don't even care about the online multiplayer component, just give me automatic updates and cloud saves I don't have to set up myself.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Link? I think I've had Raptor on my GOG wishlist forever and don't see any mention of this offer.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:19 pm

They sent an e-mail out yesterday. It's got this in it:

We'll be granting thousands of wishes to active GOG.COM members on Monday, April 16. Awesome, right? We're not mind readers though, so, you know...

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:50 pm

No freebies, but the top 150 most-wishlisted games are on sale.

I just bought a whole lot of isometric RPGs in a Humble Bundle, but I don't have Divinity: Original Sin yet. Hm.