Legend of Zelda: Clever Subtitle

Büge

Re: Legend of Zelda: Clever Subtitle

Postby Büge » Fri May 26, 2023 4:00 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:41 am

Fired up Oracle of Seasons again on a whim, and it's pretty good so far.

I tried it once and kinda bounced off it; I think part of it is I got overwhelmed by the season-changing mechanic and the potential for every screen on the overworld to be four different screens. I think I was probably looking at it the wrong way; interacting with the different weather patterns is pretty neat when you don't overthink it. (Course, I've still only got Winter at this point, which makes it easy to focus on my limited options, "keep the current season" or "change it to winter"; maybe as it gets more complicated I'll find myself having a harder time with it again.)

It does seem like it's got a lot of overcomplicated fiddly bits. Seeds and rings and shit.

Oh, and taking the button combination that was "save" in the previous game and changing it to "reset" is a fucking dick move, but at least I won't make that mistake a second time.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:15 pm

So I got a package from Nintendo today and I was like "wtf I didn't order anything from Nintendo" and I open it up and there's Tears of the Kingdom

And I text my brother "This you?"

And he's like "Yep, happy father's day"

I guess I should finish the other two Zelda games I'm playing

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:38 pm

Friday, I just had the absolute dumbest idea.

Even though Zelda is the most boring ship in the game and happens every time because I AM YOUR DENSITY or w/e, I suspect the real reason it always turns out like that is incredibly dumb: You play a hero named Link... in a game always named for Zelda. Without the Link-Zelda ship, the name becomes nonsensical. Nintendo actually trapped themselves and they refuse to break out of this self-imposed straitjacket.

Thad wrote:So I got a package from Nintendo today and I was like "wtf I didn't order anything from Nintendo" and I open it up and there's Tears of the Kingdom

And I text my brother "This you?"

And he's like "Yep, happy father's day"

I guess I should finish the other two Zelda games I'm playing

:D

Good Brother.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:57 pm

Mongrel wrote:Friday, I just had the absolute dumbest idea.

Even though Zelda is the most boring ship in the game and happens every time because I AM YOUR DENSITY or w/e, I suspect the real reason it always turns out like that is incredibly dumb: You play a hero named Link... in a game always named for Zelda. Without the Link-Zelda ship, the name becomes nonsensical. Nintendo actually trapped themselves and they refuse to break out of this self-imposed straitjacket.

Eh, there are Legend of Zelda games that Zelda's not even in. She's mentioned once in Link's Awakening but never actually appears.

Not to say that Nintendo hasn't put itself in a straitjacket where it refuses to break formula -- that describes rather a lot of things in rather a lot of games in the series -- but I don't think the title is what's causing it.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:01 am

Mongrel wrote:You play a hero named Link... in a game always named for Zelda. Without the Link-Zelda ship, the name becomes nonsensical. Nintendo actually trapped themselves and they refuse to break out of this self-imposed straitjacket.
Trying to not be too cynical about this. But women can have meaning outside of their relationships with men.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:40 am

beatbandito wrote:
Mongrel wrote:You play a hero named Link... in a game always named for Zelda. Without the Link-Zelda ship, the name becomes nonsensical. Nintendo actually trapped themselves and they refuse to break out of this self-imposed straitjacket.
Trying to not be too cynical about this. But women can have meaning outside of their relationships with men.

My guessing at why Nintendo has never really changed this formula much does not imply that I approve of their aversion to change.

Shit man, never mind that, how about something so basic as it being long past time that Zelda players be offered the choice of playing as Link in "at least three" genders, considering femLink has made canonical appearances already anyway.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:52 am

t4t Link/Zelda is still the best dynamic

followed closely by the Link/Zelda/Ganondorf polycule

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:52 am

I am not enjoying the experience of The Depths in TOTK. It seems antithetical to the design of the rest of the game.

The first few trips in I could see a few different roots or other light sources and had to be worried about the terrain and enemies on the way. After finishing about 30% I can no longer ever tell if I'm looking in to a dark expanse or there's a giant cliff 5 feet in front of me. I spend more time circling around things and finding new hole to jump in and hope I can see somewhere to go than I do actually traveling to those spots when found.

I was thinking about what I would want from it, and Dragon's Dogma comes to mind. At night the dangerous enemies come out and it gets dark. You have a full map, you can see the lights of the city from basically anywhere, but you don't know if that bush that had goblins at noon now has a chimera waiting behind it. Use of light and slow movement can get you through safely. You're not just blindly running or waiting out the night.

Meanwhile in TOTK I keep running out of reasons to play down there. I spend ten minutes doing painful platforming and not know if I'm any closer to anything and just say "meh". Also they really don't do anything to make the enemies more dangerous than those that show up on the surface anyway. Finding out where to go IS the challenge. And it's not a fun one, imo.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:16 pm

I heard somewhere that all the lightroot locations are below the shrines on the ground level, and you could use that to map their locations out. Don't know if that's true or not, but it's worth a try?

Postby Newbie » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:40 pm

Regarding the depths:

Each lightroot's name is a shrine's name backwards.

But more specifically: I think the depths exist as a reason to build vehicles and weapons platforms. Device stockpiles are much more obvious that they are on the surface, and the (annoying) landscape is a challenge to determine the best conveyance for the region you're passing through. Outside the central region along the path to the first mine, I am always always always riding some sort of device.

Also, learn from my mistake: once you unlock autobuild, favoriting designs is NOT a separate upgrade. You can do that immediately.
tiny text