Legend of Zelda: Clever Subtitle

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Legend of Zelda: Clever Subtitle

Postby Mothra » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:42 am

Brentai wrote:
Thad wrote:
Brentai wrote:"Open world" apparently means "Oblivion without fast travel".

If the game doesn't start with fast travel, it's bound to show up later. Even The Legend of Zelda: Ocean of Fucking Nothing had fast travel.

It probably shows up later - warping is a Zelda staple - but they lampshade the lack of initial shortcuts right in the video:

Miyamoto: So how far away is our destination from here?
Aonuma: Well, it'll still take about four or five more minutes I suppose.
Miyamoto: Four or five minutes more...
*awkward cut*

Why they would want to call attention to that is a mystery. Maybe they're overcompensating for the poor exploration options in Skyward Sword.

I thought that was really weird too. Was getting ready for them to show off their fast-travel alternative, then... nope.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:46 am

sweet dreams, everybody
For the White Witch!

François

Postby François » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:57 am

..."S"?

Oh, I guess they have ranks B through S instead of C through A. Threw me for a loop for a moment though.

I wonder how the time mechanic is gonna work. The Twilight rules were a neat idea but the darkness was both spectacularly crippling and far too easy to bypass, so you never had a reason to endure it.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:14 am

Haha, okay this is neat

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:26 am

There was a period where I just could not play Link to the Past because the perspective made my head hurt.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:03 am

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:02 am

THIS POST REMOVED FOR INSUFFICIENT CONTEXT

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:27 pm

I was quite enjoying Breath of the Wild, but I fired it up today and started getting disc read errors. Apparently this is a common thing, and I can't figure out a way to fix it. Bought it used and it's past the return window, but I'll plan on calling the shop later and seeing if they can do anything for me.

Game was working fine the last time I played it, and had not even been removed from the console since. Tried the suggestions I found online (delete/reinstall update, delete apps I'm not using); no luck. The disc looks clean to me.

Tried firing up Cemu; found that it runs at a framerate I will describe as "intermittently playable". However, I'm not seeing any way to copy my existing save from my Wii U onto external storage. (I haven't installed any kind of homebrew tools yet because it's a refurb model that's still under warranty. I expect there are some third-party ways of copying save data, at least.) I've got no intention of starting over from the beginning, so I guess I won't be playing it on Cemu at this point.

Pretty irritating. It's not like I can't find another game to play, but I did just drop $50 on this one (used!) and it sure doesn't give me a lot of faith in the Wii U's handling of physical media. (Again, the disc looks fine and other people are reporting similar issues even on brand-new copies of the game, so I don't think this is a case of me just getting a jacked-up used disc.)

I've got a headache and don't feel like going into the game shop today (or even talking to them on the phone), but I'll plan on doing it tomorrow. At the very least, they should be able to clean it for me and see if that helps.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:58 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:37 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:51 pm

Picked up Cadence of Hyrule (now available on physical media!). It's pretty fun. Not too difficult to play lefthanded (there's a mode for playing with a sideways joy-con; from there it's just a matter of remapping the buttons in the system settings so you hold it vertically instead of horizontally). Using the stick for items is a little tricky.

And it's hard as balls, even considering that it doesn't go full-on Roguelike and take all your shit when you die (you lose your rupees and some of your equipment but not all of it; the world map remains constant and is not re-randomized when you die). I've been able to get a few screens away from the starting point in each direction, but this game will hit you with Lynels in the first hour.

As it's a rhythm game, of course the music is a major consideration. And the music is good! It's a good selection of tunes so far; LttP and Awakening, my two favorites, are well-represented. The arrangements are great too, and I love the effect of indicating the difference between battle and exploration with tempo and instrumentation changes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:26 pm

Picked up the Link's Awakening remake on sale. The most exciting thing about it so far is that I played it for several hours at a stretch and didn't experience any significant thumb pain. I figured it's kind of an intermediate step between the menu-based games I've been playing for the past year or so and the straight-up action games I've been avoiding; now that I can play this comfortably, maybe I'll try a platformer next.

First thing to say about it is that the game holds up. Link's Awakening is still fucking great. It's an impeccably constructed, wonderfully weird slice of Zelda, and it's an all-timer. The stuff that was great in 1993 is still great. I am a man of simple pleasures, and Bow-Wow eating a moblin will never not be hilarious to me.

As for the remake, well, it's about what I expected from the reviews. I really like the graphical style for the most part, though there are times where it reduces clarity, particularly on the south side of the screen.

Adding scrolling was a mistake. Not only because of the performance issues it causes, but because the game is fundamentally built around a grid and taking the grid design away breaks its continuity. Like, it's fucking weird being able to see Mamu's signposts from the exterior of the first dungeon.

It also fucks up spawn points. Like if you go to the southwest corner of the graveyard, it'll cause the guys who come up out of the ground on what's supposed to be the next screen over to start spawning in the graveyard.

There are some modest but decent QoL improvements. The controls have been revamped to more of a standard Zelda control scheme -- sword is always on B, shield is always on R, bracelet is always on A (I assume Pegasus Shoes are too but I haven't gotten them yet). Of the rest of the items, you can map one each to X and Y as you see fit. It works pretty well, though this is a game with a fair amount of jumping and putting jump on X or Y feels wrong.

(I also wish you could map more shit to more buttons; ZL and ZR are unused, and L is only used on menus. And it's one of those Nintendo games that's like "Nope, we're not gonna let you use the directional buttons to move, even though movement is 8-directional and digital.")

You can put pins on the map for points of interest, which is nice because it's been ages since I played this one and I don't have it memorized as well as, say, LttP. And I'm pretty sure they've added more warp points, and the warp points work better; you can choose which one you want to go to instead of getting shunted to a random location and having to warp over and over until you end up where you wanted to go.

They've revamped the minigames and I hate it. Jesus, Japan, what is with you and fishing and claw games?

They've also added more Pieces of Heart and I hate that too. Link's Awakening was the last game in the series where they struck the right balance with collectible geegaws instead of going completely overboard with them, so of course they had to fuck with that.

On the plus side, they seem to have gotten rid of the missable seashells. Like, in the original version, if you go into the seashell house with 5 seashells, you get another seashell, but it has to be exactly 5; if you pick up a sixth before you go to cash in, whoops, you won't be getting that one. In this version, the rewards look like they've changed -- you get a Piece of Heart for 5 seashells, but you don't lose out on it if you come in with more.

They've also added more unnecessary shit from other Zelda games. Like, there are fairy bottles now, which are redundant; Crazy Tracy's medicine serves the function of a fairy bottle in this game, and also the fairy bottles don't fucking work right and don't automatically activate when you die like they do in every single other fucking Zelda game that has them. It feels decidedly half-assed: let's add this thing from the other games for no reason, but not bother making it work the same way it works in the other games.

The music's mostly great. Link's Awakening had the best soundtrack on Game Boy and for the most part I like the new arrangements. (There are exceptions; the music when the Moblins kidnap Bow-Wow is awful.)

The localization is mostly identical to the original English-language release; what's changed is mostly references to the updated controls and UI (and sometimes even that isn't changed where it should be; the book in the tutorial hut still says that when you restore from a save you'll be at the last door you entered or exited, which isn't true anymore since this version's added an autosave slot that will save in places besides doorways).

I haven't fucked around with the level editor yet but it seems like an interesting idea. And the music in Dampe's shack is fantastic.

All in all: this is a great game, and a pretty-okay update. I paid $40 for it and I think that feels fair; I wouldn't want to pay the full $60.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:46 pm

den den den den den den den wa
[phone rings]
[phone rings]
den den den den den den den wa
[phone rings]
[phone rings]

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:09 pm

So, Link's Adventure remains a conspicuous missing spot in my gaming history. I've always meant to eventually get around to playing it, so the inevitable question is now: which version is best for a first timer?
ImageImageImage

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:27 pm

The most recent thing I've heard on the topic is that the NES version makes some very sensible updates to the exp system over the FDS version

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:53 am

Friday wrote:So, Link's Adventure remains a conspicuous missing spot in my gaming history. I've always meant to eventually get around to playing it, so the inevitable question is now: which version is best for a first timer?

I'd probably give a slight edge to the Switch version based on the significant benefit of having twice as many buttons (BTW it turns out L is Pegasus Shoes and ZL and ZR are the same as L and R), which means you spend a lot less time swapping gear, and actually use your shield sometimes.

But you can't go wrong with any version. The original plain-old Game Boy version is the purest expression of the game, before they started bolting extras onto it. (It's also the version on the recently-released Zelda Game and Watch, if you're interested in buying a $50 geegaw with three games on it.) The Game Boy Color version adds some new features that I felt didn't really add much to the experience, but on the other hand, the color is kind of nice, even if it feels very much like a GBC game with a really limited palette.

In both GB versions, the graphics are crisp and clear and I'm not kidding when I say it's got the best soundtrack on Game Boy. It does some interesting things with those simple audio channels. (I love the monster sound effects, too.)

The Switch version's got tradeoffs, as I enumerated earlier. It feels like it could use more polish, and it makes some changes that I don't entirely agree with. But while the quality-of-life improvements are modest, they're significant.

There is, however, a definitive answer to which version of the game you should choose for your second playthrough. And that's definitely the original Game Boy release with the bug where you can skip screens and sequence-break like a motherfucker. (Not the later revision that fixes it.)

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:12 am

Caithness wrote:The most recent thing I've heard on the topic is that the NES version makes some very sensible updates to the exp system over the FDS version

I'm pretty sure Friday's played The Adventure of Link, and is actually asking about Link's Awakening?
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:09 am

oh yeah I wrote Adventure in my original post instead of Awakening. Oops. I meant Awakening. I've played Zelda 2 a ton.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:04 am

I think I played Awakening on the GBA? That port was good, IIRC. No bugs or control issues etc.

Sorry I can't recall any comparison pros or cons, it's been years and that was the only time I played it.

Postby Newbie » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:04 am

I can vouch for the basic accuracy of Thad's assessment, though I should add that the Switch remake dungeon-building minigame is laughable garbage; we wanted something like Mario Maker, but this isn't granular enough and the "progression" they make you play through to unlock the whole thing is an exercise in monotony.

My vote is absolutely for the original Game Boy monochrome version. The atmosphere is perfect for monochrome, none of the later additions are necessary, and the Game Boy versions have my favorite sounds of any videogame ever to exist.
tiny text