Super Smash Bros Next

Lottel

Re: Super Smash Bros Next

Postby Lottel » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:02 pm

I still need to fight most of you chumps

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:59 am

I had a fight or two with...Caithness, I think? That's the only one of you guys I've seen online.

Tried to go online yesterday but had to download the latest patch.

Does the "Download Now" button in the eshop work for you guys? Because it has never worked for me, not once, not for anything; it errors out 100% of the time. I have to pick "Download Later" and put the thing into sleep mode to get anything to download.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:54 am

Download Later usually works better, but yes, Download Now has worked for me before.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:01 am

I've never had a problem with Now.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Am I the only guy with a 2DS? Could that somehow be part of the problem?

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:55 pm

I have a 2ds but I never use it.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:00 am

Mine is a 2DS

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:38 am

Who's excited for the Wii U version? I picked up the 3DS version for super cheap but I'm not feeling it on a handheld at all.

François

Postby François » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 am

I'm interested but not 65 bucks interested.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 am

When they announced the 3DS version I was super fucking excited. When I played the demo that excitement flew out the window like a balloon with all the air let out of it and then drop kicked because fuck the circle pad for trying to play Smash Bros on. Which is to say I can't wait for my game and my Samus nerdhummel to get here. Amazon even sent my pro controller early so I can maybe dick around for the next week and see if I can get it to talk to my PC.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:58 am

The WiiU Pro controller? As far as I can tell Mayflash made a shitty dongle that converts to xinput and everyone else gave up on a non-shitty solution for using it on the PC outside of having the thing emulate keyboard buttons.

Also I totally agree on the circle pad being complete shit for smash. I'm afraid of snapping it off on top of it already being hard to do smash attacks because of how mushy it is.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Yeah, if it's a pain in the ass it's no skin off my back. I just wanted a controller I could beat on without fearing for my Gamepad's life, and if I could make it work on the PC then that's a nice bonus.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:31 am

François wrote:I'm interested but not 65 bucks interested.

I'm a full 100 bucks interested, but I heard that the bundle with the adapter and the Gamecube controller is already sold out...

sei

Postby sei » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Been eagerly waiting for the Wii U version because I didn't relish the idea of Smash on the 3DS's controls.

Soon!

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:05 pm

I got the gamecube controller bundle today and two villager amiibos.

The game looks gorgeous but doesn't feel as tight as the 3DS version, I think? It's a bit hard to tell. Do you know how long it's been since I've played with a brand new gamecube controller? These things are spongy as several hells.

I'm actually finding it more comfortable to connect with my 3DS. Which is great as you only have to go through 3 menus and a connection process to do so. Sure you can only Smash with local friends that way but that's the price we pay, eh?

The amiibos are weird! I was under the impression they learned what you did and everything, being basically semi-programmable AI. My villager is currently level 20 and has not planted a single tree, even though that's all I'm doing to kill it. I've treed this guy probably a hundred time but not even a leaf from him.

Also can someone explain why there's no touch support for a wii u game? Not even the menus.

patito

Postby patito » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:41 pm

Who needs "amigos" when you have "amiibos"

patito

Postby patito » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:42 pm

You're welcome Nintendo.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Lottel wrote:I'm actually finding it more comfortable to connect with my 3DS.

Are you an alien?

Also yeah the gamecube controller has always sucked.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:03 pm

I played a lot more of the wiiu version and that includes Smash Tour.
It takes the stat system from Smash Run and then add in a terrible board game mechanic.
On the first turn you are randomly assigned a fighter and then every turn you gain one item that either helps you travel the board or fight in a match. You roll a d6 and collect stats and go to checkpoints. If you bump into another player, all for players fight in random types of Smash.

If you press x during set up, a computer will fight for you.

This goes on until the final turn after which the announcer gives you random prizes like in Mario Party and then you fight, with the fighters you've collected counting as your stock.

And it's terrible. The board controls are stiff and weird. And strangely inconsistent. Sometimes a path requires me to press up but on my next pass I have to press left? The fights are super tough due to the fact I can't beat 3 level 9 computers as every character. That's kind of on me but I can't really think that's a reasonable expectation.
The entire thing is dull and no fun.

I'm not sure why THIS is on the WiiU but Smash Run is on the 3DS.

Postby Newbie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:05 am

Lottel wrote:I'm not sure why THIS is on the WiiU but Smash Run is on the 3DS.

Because if they put the best version of every mode on the Wii U, then (format aside), why would you get this on the 3DS? (Because MewTwo.)

They took out the old Sandbag trick for collecting the drop-only CDs, but they mistakenly left another exploitable method. Turn off all items except Master Balls, turn frequency high, fight 99-stock level 1s in a low-hazard level with music you don't hate. Whenever Mew shows up, he drops a CD or an unlockable move/equipment. I got 7 music tracks this way.
tiny text