The Ever-Expanding Worlds of Warcraft

Rico

Re: The Ever-Expanding Worlds of Warcraft

Postby Rico » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Bal wrote:Some of my best memories are of people fucking up. The idea is to pineapple up together until we minimize our pineapple ups sufficiently to succeed.

Conjugated fucks aren't covered by fruitfilter. This is the worst day.
The first thing this brought to mind was that awful, awful day a few of us got together to try and brute force KVN through BWL, and after terrible terrible Razorgore attempts and terrible terrible Vael attempts, we're all up against the wall ready to try Vael again (sidenote: Timing the pull to lag out WYB), I get a phone call, my phone's on vibrate, falls off my desk onto my keyboard, hitting numlock for autorun.

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:04 pm

My first thought were the immortal words "Sorry guys, eating bread". What is it about Vael?

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:17 pm

All shamans pop reincarnate to kill lucifron

What could go wrong

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:49 pm

MB actually got a Huhuran kill off a Reincarnate Nature Shock, of all things (she has high nature resist).This was also before loot gold was split to dead raid members. :perfect:

I can't remember who, but I'm assuming it was Bas, because Bas.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:12 pm

HAMMI #1

In this case, we massively part ways. I wound up on Dethecus essentially at random. I never valued what you call "community."

The fact that you do not choose it and end up making friends anyway is why community matters.

Paid transfers let you seek a less toxic community.

As opposed to actually working to make the community less toxic. Like I said, the insidious problem with mobility is that it is (almost) always good for the individual who is mobile.

If we don't: paid transfers are the monetization of a particular class of players' struggle to find the right people to play with, based on the observation that this particular type of player would be more willing to pay $25 in the hope of alleviating their frustration/disappointment with their experience than to adjust their priorities, start over elsewhere for free, or just not play WoW anymore.

If you're happy with flex, LFR, and previous tiers, then orange, WoW is already your game.

Well, yeah; this started with me praising it!

Norn can get away with being a bigger asshole than you can because he plays a healer well and is better at the game.

(acknowledges people are frequently driven to excel at raiding because it is a space where they can gain acceptance/praise on the basis of something other than personality)

(insists the people he raids with are his friends after three pages of logistical arguments)

norn

Postby norn » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:59 pm

sei wrote:Norn can get away with being a bigger asshole than you can because he plays a healer well and is better at the game.

i'm sure the record will show that i was never an asshole in the online video game world of norrath and was in fact a perfect lady and/or gentleman. why, i see several people in this very thread who could vouch for my urbane demeanour, firm yet gentle ability to persuade others, and (most of all!) my kind heart.

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:21 pm

norn wrote:
sei wrote:Norn can get away with being a bigger asshole than you can because he plays a healer well and is better at the game.

i'm sure the record will show that i was never an asshole in the online video game world of norrath and was in fact a perfect lady and/or gentleman. why, i see several people in this very thread who could vouch for my urbane demeanour, firm yet gentle ability to persuade others, and (most of all!) my kind heart.

Madrea The Patient and Greez The Diplomat reporting for duty.

Rico wrote:MB actually got a Huhuran kill off a Reincarnate Nature Shock, of all things (she has high nature resist).This was also before loot gold was split to dead raid members. :perfect:

I can't remember who, but I'm assuming it was Bas, because Bas.

Xethecus ressed and got the kill, but ate a poison bolt and died. Bas then ressed and looted the gold.

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:26 pm

norn wrote:

gay

sei

Postby sei » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:10 pm

pacobird wrote:
If we don't: paid transfers are the monetization of a particular class of players' struggle to find the right people to play with, based on the observation that this particular type of player would be more willing to pay $25 in the hope of alleviating their frustration/disappointment with their experience than to adjust their priorities, start over elsewhere for free, or just not play WoW anymore.
"Raid with casuals or quit/reroll" isn't as punchy as Tigole's offering.

pacobird wrote:
Norn can get away with being a bigger asshole than you can because he plays a healer well and is better at the game.

(acknowledges people are frequently driven to excel at raiding because it is a space where they can gain acceptance/praise on the basis of something other than personality)

(insists the people he raids with are his friends after three pages of logistical arguments)
Yes, paco. You nailed it. People are only ever good at video games because they're compensating for their inability to sing penis songs on vent and are trying to catch up to the high bar of desirability that you set for us all after riding through town and salting the earth from atop your hand-cranked street organ.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:03 am

the biggest reason why most bad players stay bad, other than connection issues, is that they have no idea what a good player looks like

Yes, paco. You nailed it. People are only ever good at video games because they're compensating for their inability to sing penis songs on vent and are trying to catch up to the high bar of desirability that you set for us all after riding through town and salting the earth from atop your hand-cranked street organ.

i just don't think i've ever heard you describe your mmo experience as anything i would classify as "fun" without flappy bird apologetics

i mean i keep playing these games because i like dumb fun beat 'em ups and ff14 is like the best dynasty warriors game ever, no foolin'

sei

Postby sei » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:05 am

killing gold farmers with norondor in azshara was torture

killing players in menethil with angwe and fignal was torture

doing arena with xethecus, malethus, corran, etc. was torture

doing ulduar was torture

more like world of waterboarding amirite

EDIT: In all seriousness: I complain here more than I laud things. I'm not on here singing about the shit I enjoy, because when things are good, I am busy enjoying them instead of out telling the world* about how good they are.

*Though I do message individual people on Steam, IRC, Skype, etc. or possibly hop on TeamSpeak, but I don't usually come to the boards with it. For a long period, I didn't come to the boards with anything, because I was doing other stuff that I found more engrossing than posting here.periods typically involve me having fun with something else.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:11 am

that sure is a whole lot of experiences that are in no way enhanced by your ability to transfer servers to find better players!

sei

Postby sei » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:15 am

you're right, my taste from 9 years ago invalidates my point

sei

Postby sei » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:24 am

pacobird wrote:

the biggest reason why most bad players stay bad, other than connection issues, is that they have no idea what a good player looks like
yeah if only people like tensard had ever met people like hraedon

How to Be a Worthless Warm Body in MMOs: A Brief Outline
  • Don't do your homework, because you're...
    • too busy to do class/encounter research.
    • too lazy to do class/encounter research.
    • too self-important to acknowledge the need for research.
    • too inept at Google / asking people to do research.
    • lacking reading comprehension necessary to absorb research.
  • Be too stubborn to adopt correct builds.
  • Have poor reflexes.
  • Lack situational awareness.
  • Be a slow learner.
  • Demonstrate shitty execution for various other reasons.
  • Demonstrate poor judgement.
  • Demonstrate poor communication (esp. if raid/role leading).
  • Be too big of an asshole, rager, or drama queen for the raid to function properly.
  • frost shock the sapped rogue so he can vanish and sprint off what the fuck is wrong with you

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:24 am

i wasn't the one who brought them up.

i mean, my best days in mmos are behind me, too, but i have no problem coming up with reasons why i like them right now. it's those very reasons that make me so infuriating to play them with.

Tensard

Wasn't Tensard like, one of the better Restos KAAOS had by the end of Wrath?

I could be remembering this wrong.

But I DO remember him improving dramatically pretty quickly once I brought him to a couple karazhans towards the end of BC.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:36 am

I was primarily around Tensard during Vanilla. Others can weigh in on his performance in Wrath better than I can. I left for greener pastures (within the "community," dohohoho) when norn split.

I brought up the various activities to break up the monotony of what would mostly be a list of tiers and various shit I did with friends. Ulduar had the best content and the most fellatio, so T8 is the one I listed.

pacobird wrote:i mean, my best days in mmos are behind me, too, but i have no problem coming up with reasons why i like them right now. it's those very reasons that make me so infuriating to play them with.
I never really see you on in FFXIV. I mean, at least FFXIV has the dungeon leveling adjustment thing so that playing with you is even an option. I don't think WoW has that yet, which is a pity for those who still play it.

I played some of WoW and found out that dungeons/raiding with 2+ friends is the only way I really enjoy MMOs any more. The presence of friends isn't enough for game retention. Content/gameplay must be enjoyable. I got bored.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:52 am

Broken record mode time.

On the note of research: available quality of encounter guides detracts from raider competence. It makes getting raid-ready take too long, and in practice, players without an abundance of time are at the mercy of other same-role raiders' ability to effectively communicate what to do. It's lame.

Video guides uniformly are wordy and waste time, usually being an overdub of a fight recording instead of just highlighting important shit.

Most written guides fail to minimize noise. They are raid-leader overviews, instead of being broken down by role. I want to see filtered lists of actionable instructions for raid encounters (PoC) instead of having to waste a year reading this kind of shit. FFXIV tends to have the same problem, but some good visual guides arose for a few encounters (notably BC Turn 4 and Garuda EX) that buck the trend. Meanwhile, T5's guide is this impenetrable piece of garbage.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:18 am

sei wrote:I was primarily around Tensard during Vanilla. Others can weigh in on his performance in Wrath better than I can. I left for greener pastures (within the "community," dohohoho) when norn split.

I remember the first time I took Tensard along on a Karazhan run. He won this dinky throwaway caster neck off the second boss, which he got because everybody else there was a couple tiers beyond it. When he won it, he yelled YES over vent. Like, not only did he audibly cheer, but he hit his push-to-talk button so that we all could know he was cheering and could share in the sheer joy and gratitude he was feeling right at that very second. All this, over a necklace that this particular badge farming group, through its various iterations, had been D/Eing for over a year.

So that was about how close Tensard had been to any situation where he could witness what actually makes good players good and improve himself before Wrath, yeah.

I never really see you on in FFXIV. I mean, at least FFXIV has the dungeon leveling adjustment thing so that playing with you is even an option.

Doing more than like, 10 hours a week on games that aren't handhelds is kind of tough for me these days but 14's pretty good! I may or may not let myself get sucked into the token grind for a little while; I don't know how long it'll keep my interest but I'm not going to subject you all to me waxing poetic on 11 AGAIN.

RE: instructions, the best feature of MoP is BY FAR the dungeon journal

Bal

Postby Bal » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:08 am

RE: Tensard. He was ORDER's only resto shaman, and he was a good healer, but he still tunnel visioned like crazy. Snaps of "Tensard!" over vent to get his attention on a mechanic were common, but the man was there through all of ICC with us, and he really was very solid on healing.

Postby Newbie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:13 am

There is a part of me that regrets the years I spent badmouthing WOW, because by the time I joined during Cataclysm, it had already begun its transformation into Queues of Instancecraft, and enough people have waxed romantic about the glory days of BC when your server rep was your life and if you couldn't function as part of a community and guild, you couldn't raid, and while you may have walked to the raid instance uphill both ways, the roads were paved of gold back then, and flying mounts ruined all that, now get off my lawn.

The reality, though: while it may have been Doom's enthusiasm for Cataclysm that got me to finally try WOW, my actual play for the last 3.5 years has been mainly solo, because with everybody trying to juggle jobs and families and other social activities, trying to organize a raid made herding cats seem like a less frustrating alternative. As much as all the changes that have happened to WOW over the years have successfully transformed that game you used to love into this one most of you aren't playing any more, this is the game we have now, and it's this version of the game that's kept me subscribed for this much time.

LFR may be insultingly easy for big tuff raiders like you, but fortunately in Warlords, it won't be a necessary part of progression. You can ignore it safely.

Now if only Blizzard would deign to use their Culling of Stratholme technology to race-change players as needed to form cross-factional raids with RealID friends.
tiny text