Ultra King of Fighting X #mahvel

Bal

Ultra King of Fighting X #mahvel

Postby Bal » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:40 am

Guilty Gear Xrd's opening movie was just released

I'm excited, but there are some seriously notable characters that are MIA. Hope you didn't main Johnny, Anji, Baiken, Dizzy, Testament, or half a dozen others.

Also, Ultra Street Fighter 4 is nearing completion, though that pesky fifth new character is still in hiding, and Capcom has confirmed they are working on a new (not a revision of an existing game) fighter for next gen systems due out at the end of the year, so probably next year.

Boulevard Brawling is getting better all the time.

Lyrai

Re: Ultra King of Fighting X #mahvel

Postby Lyrai » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:27 am

It would be beyond bizarre for them to dump half the cast like that. I'm betting* on them being time--based releases on the cabinets, or held back for console release.

*Hoping.

I'm fine, I mostly did Chipp and Sol, but my brother mained Dizzy hard enough to push me in a corner. He's somewhat upset over the lack of her.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:42 am

Bal wrote:Also, Ultra Street Fighter 4 is nearing completion, though that pesky fifth new character is still in hiding

Hey, a guy can dream.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:43 am

TedBelmont wrote:
Bal wrote:Also, Ultra Street Fighter 4 is nearing completion, though that pesky fifth new character is still in hiding

A guy can dream.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:32 pm

http://shoryuken.com/2014/03/16/capcom- ... -addition/
turns out it is a cammy clone

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:53 pm

Juni clone. She actually looks pretty cool. Combofiend fought Ryan Hart in a exhibition at Final Round using her.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:25 am

Lame. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't spend months building up a reskin of a preexisting asset.
For the White Witch!

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:47 am

But she's wearing a mask.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:16 am

USF4 has given all the signs of a incremental release that's extremely light on the art budget and focused on rebalancing for the HARDPRO crowd. For that crowd, a Cammy with teleports is super interesting.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:14 am

Yo I get it guys we are buffing Cammy really hard, so maybe if we make another Cammy and she isn't the best character in the game everyone won't notice anymore.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Assuming it has Cammy's moveset exactly, which I doubt, Cammy as a charge character is still a foundational shakeup to Cammy's playstyle.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:54 pm

She's a charge character with similarities to Balrog and Honda. She's got her drills, in the air and on the ground, but it's charge so the air drill can only come off a jump back. She's got her blade flurry, which is input in hands or legs, and she's got her teleports, which provide great mix up potential. She is, in fact, far more dissimilar from Cammy than Ryu, Ken, Evil Ryu, Akuma and Oni are from one another, and those characters are plenty nuanced.

patito

Postby patito » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:11 pm

She may play totally different and all that good stuff, but in the end she's still Cammy with a mask and that's really lame you know. It's ok to admit that.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:33 pm

yeah couldn't we have at least gotten the one with the indian feather in her hair

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Thing is I'm not sure how many of us are huge Cammy fans (she's personally my least favorite female in the series*, though I don't really know why). I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who think the creepy bondage clone of that blond assassin concubine is the best variation ever.

* Ingrid was a mass hallucination fuck you.

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:58 pm

patito wrote:She may play totally different and all that good stuff, but in the end she's still Cammy with a mask and that's really lame you know. It's ok to admit that.

I don't actually think it's lame though. I've known about the Dolls, and this character in particular, since the Alpha series. She plays like Juni (in some ways), which is a character I really liked, and her model isn't actually just "Cammy with a mask". The dolls have similar body types, but Decambre does have a new model and a totally new play style. The only reason to be disappointed would be the hype, but that was mostly community generated. The only reason Capcom couldn't show us the character from the outset is because she was the only one whose model wasn't just being imported from SFxT. Again, you might as well be complaining about Ken.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:55 pm

Bal wrote: Decambre does have a new model and a totally new play style.

look at her animations. They're EXACTLY THE SAME as Cammy's.

patito

Postby patito » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Ken's playstyle is a lot more similar to Ryu's than Decapre's playstyle is to Cammy. The difference is that Ken isn't just Ryu with a mask, he's palette swap Ryu.

I actually think they did the best possible job with Gouken, since he is actually supposed to be a shoto and they could have been equally lazy and just made him one. But in the end they actually managed to give him a way different moveset than any shoto while still managing to make his moves look like a shoto.

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:17 pm

zaratustra wrote:
Bal wrote: Decambre does have a new model and a totally new play style.

look at her animations. They're EXACTLY THE SAME as Cammy's.

Her ground spin drill and several of her normals are the same, from what we've seen so far. Given she's a doll with the same training as Cammy, I would expect her to have similar moves. Again, look at the shotos. Many normals are identical in appearance, even many specials, but one doll (one less than in Alpha 3) and holy shit, call the creativity cops.

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:24 pm

patito wrote:Ken's playstyle is a lot more similar to Ryu's than Decapre's playstyle is to Cammy. The difference is that Ken isn't just Ryu with a mask, he's palette swap Ryu.

I actually think they did the best possible job with Gouken, since he is actually supposed to be a shoto and they could have been equally lazy and just made him one. But in the end they actually managed to give him a way different moveset than any shoto while still managing to make his moves look like a shoto.

Gouken is meant to be a shoto in the lore, but he plays nothing like one. That's why I didn't include him on the list earlier. Oni is a maybe. He has a fireball, a tatsu, and a shoryu, but he has a whole host of other shit that makes him play nothing like the more standard shotos. I almost think he's a more successful attempt at Gouken (a shoto that isn't a shoto), but this may be because I play Gouken and am consistently jealous and disappointed.