Brave Soul, Who Fears Not Death

Bal

Brave Soul, Who Fears Not Death

Postby Bal » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:33 am

Souls General

DaSII is coming out in just a bit over a month now. Many crazy things are now known, many more crazy things to discover I'm sure. I'm not sure what I am most excited for, personally, but the things I find most interesting so far are many of the basic system changed, like the new stat (agility) that reduces action time. The new way back stabs and ripostes work, the fact that guard crush is now just as strong as riposte, making STR characters inherently strong for the first time ever. Stuff like that.

Here's a reminder of the evil one can inflict on their fellow man if they set their mind to it. Ye've a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.

beatbandito

Re: Brave Soul, Who Fears Not Death

Postby beatbandito » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:11 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_iJXztTYUc

tl;dr: things seem pretty much the same with minor alterations, as was to be expected. Lots of information about new mechanics that's interesting but basically useless without context. The big change seems to be that they're making the story a lot more obvious. Lots of cutscenes and dialogue. No seeking out NPCs that you may or may not ever meet and relying on item descriptions for anything beyond the basics.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 pm

I haven't gotten around to Souls but my understanding is that the lack of narrative structure is largely the point?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:33 pm

It's more-or-less been a goal of the new director (Or more accurately Namco) to make DkS2 more user friendly to bring in an overall larger audience. If we're lucky the furthest they take that is easier to find secrets and more obvious narrative.

It looks as if there's also a lot more action-over-caution areas and overall move to make gameplay faster and smoother. Though not nearly as heavily as things looked during original announcements.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:11 am

I've heard mixed things on the story front. Many things are more obvious, especially initially, but the True Deep Secrets™ are still in NPC dialog and item descriptions. Especially anything that has to do with the connection between the new location and Lordran.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:18 am

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:17 am

I was wondering what the hell I was going to spend 32 amazon bucks on. Hey, might as well get dark souls 2. I'm sorry if the game turns out to be shit because I preordered it.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:44 pm

I started playing Demon's Souls in an attempt to play through the two older games before 2 comes out. It's weird having healing items and actually having to manage my inventory.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:46 pm

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 am

So after almost beating Demon's Souls I can say that I really appreciate Dark Souls a lot. Demon's Souls had a lot of dick bosses that aren't very fun, and the world tendency is kind of butts. Let's make the enemies harder if you suck more yeah sure.

Bal

Postby Bal » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:59 am

Everyone who says that just doesn't understand how to manipulate world tendency properly. I'm not saying it was good, it kind of wasn't except for the special events at max white and max black, but it only shifts black if you die in body form or kill a body form NPC, with some exceptions. Killing one boss will shift it three points back toward white, while dying in body form will only shift it one point toward black. Running around in body form is stupid for a lot of reasons, so this should never happen on accident. Also, the increased difficulty really only kicks in once it enters black tendency, if it is any shade of white it's still weaker enemies and more healing items, neutral is baseline, and then black is harder enemies and more things like shards and rare weapon drops.

The only thing that makes it kind of inconsistent is that you can be effected by server tendency, which will pull you one way or the other, but that really only matters if you're trying to pure tendency events.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Three person coop through most of Dark Souls kind of breaks the game, but it's pretty fun.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Bal wrote:The only thing that makes it kind of inconsistent is that you can be effected by server tendency, which will pull you one way or the other, but that really only matters if you're trying to pure tendency events.

This is exactly the reason why tendency was pretty awful. You had world tendency and the online mechanic, and could basically choose either one or the other. There was no point in chasing tendency unless you were going for pure world events, and most of the time figuring out what and where they were all maintaining the tendency would be basically impossible without a ton of game experience or a guide. Most people were helplessly fumbling around with the system with no idea.

I'm not saying the idea isn't fun, and certainly fits with the theme. Implication was terrible though.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:16 pm

The main problem is that the system is almost completely opaque, and what you do learn is misleading. Like, Dark Souls doesn't care if you find certain things, like Ash Lake, but Demon's Souls doesn't care if you even understand how really basic shit works at all. World Tendency is obliquely referenced, server tendency not at all, and what it does is totally up to you to discover. The fact that killing yourself in the Nexus is the best thing to do when controlling world tendency is only kind of intuitive because of the massive number of blood stains right by where everyone jumps off.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:35 pm

Tripped over some gifs and spoilers on /v/, because someone was streaming it already.

Dark Souls 2 is going to be one hell of a ride.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:07 pm

PC preorder on steam is up.

Also finally beat Dark Souls with Patito and Nodal. I think destroying the game via friend-coop was pretty fun, despite being completely against the spirit of the game. It made Bed of Chaos hilarious instead of frustrating.

François

Postby François » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Smiler wrote:PC preorder on steam is up.

Holy shit the reckoning is now. This is when my grandest hopes are realized, or dashed to the earth and crushed utterly.

crossing fingers come on come on come on

Praise the Sun!

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:41 am

Wow, you need a new computer.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

François

Postby François » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:40 am

Here's a Choose Your Own Facetious Response post!

a) That's what I keep telling my bank account!

b) If it'll run Dark Souls II, I don't need to change it.

Classic

Postby Classic » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:40 pm

He doesn't even have the budget for a third facetious response option. How's he gonna afford a decent new computer?