Bravely Default: Silicon Studio is 90s Era Squaresoft?

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Bravely Default: Silicon Studio is 90s Era Squaresoft?

Postby Bongo Bill » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Go with Phantom Weapon over Pierce M. Defense. And then add Natural Talent. And Knuckle Lore if not on a Monk.
...but is it art?

Rico

Postby Rico » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:42 pm

Yeah, that's for the second playthrough on hard, didn't want that much grinding time on off-classes. Does not change the point that making magic do damage is much more demanding on support slots than most physical damage.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:07 pm

That said, I'm having a lot of success with group casting power word kill and disintegration.
Since they're counted as status ailments, I can inflict them through stillness and get mad unscathed bonuses.

Rico

Postby Rico » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:37 pm

New Game+ is kind of interesting. Kept jobs/job levels and Norende but not items or money or levels, going all Hard Mode all the time, but experimenting with maining different jobs. The game balance is a lot different with access to some of the later classes even at level 1. Swordmaster in particular is hilarious, and Conjurer gets Steady MP so quickly I'm tempted to run all Black Mages and toy around with Resonance for a while.

Classic

Postby Classic » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:54 am

This game has been stalling when I'm fighting bosses and using special moves.
So... Yeah. Dunno how I feel about that.

EDIT:
In further Classic doesn't understand the systems he's manipulating news:
it seems like weapon affinity only affects attack power.
Which, you know, is offensive to me because I've been giving spellcaster characters rod lore as if they'd be getting a better M.Atk bonus for having S rank.

EDIT EDIT:
Another crash on a nemesis battle.
Fffff.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Fuck Cerberuses

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:06 pm

If you're in chapter 4, I strongly recommend you just turn random encounters off for that entire dungeon.
...but is it art?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:07 pm

So the dragons leading to and Lord Derosso himself were the first time I ever had to actually change people's classes and actually prepare for a fight, instead of the usual method of picking any random physical attack class and doing a lot of punching while Agnes abuses a Blessed shield.

The dragons all got the same treatment of using rings and passives to cancel out the element and status. Agnes went Templar for rampart while the others went crazy on swordmaster counters. Jabberwock got a bit different treatment with Tiz taking over the Templar role so Agnes could go Spiritmaster and drop fairy ward every time he eyed us. Tiz and Agnes got the courage rings, while Ringabel and Edea ate the dread since they never needed the default or brave anyway.

Derosso got pretty similar treatment. Agnes went ninja and everyone else swordmaster with ninja secondary. Agnes ate the first hit everyone else dodged and kept a constant utsusemi up while the rest of the party nothing ventured'd on auto against a series of bonecrushers that did no damage.

So did any other tactics come to other people's minds? Or is swordmaster abuse going to stay as the best option forever? Because that was definitely the case in the demo.

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Utsusemi cheese is just the first, and by no means strongest, of the many, many powerful party setups you can build. Achieving it in chapter 4 puts you ahead of the curve, and you may be able to coast through chapters 5 and 6 just with that, but chapters 7 and 8 will require something more sophisticated.
...but is it art?

Rico

Postby Rico » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:03 pm

Got around to posting my friend code, if people want decent Abilinks.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:23 am

On that note, Norondor has every job capped; I should bug him to post his friend code.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:32 pm

As does Bongo, and me save conjurer (until about half an hour after unlocking conjurer)

On that note, while I think Bongo's suggestion of Grappe Keep blessed shield spam is the easiest method to get every class up at that point, it's not reasonable to go past job level 9.

As soon as you enter chapter 5 go back down into the grand ship engine room for the exact same blessed shield spam it may not be the fastest method, but it works to evenly level every job without relying on job specific abilities.

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:29 pm

So I took a minute this morning to throw together a Bravely Second Sent move, but I only got up to 601k. Gonna have to work on that. But the guy at the bus stop seemed pretty appreciative.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:37 pm

I have been crawling through this game and am only finishing up the Vampire Asterisk quest, but I am now theorycrafting endgame bullshit setups. Give me feedback!

Monk (Dark Knight) x 2, HP +50%, See You In Hell (for laughs, mostly)

These are the damage dealers. They will use Phoenix Flight > Minus Strike x3.

Spiritmaster (White Mage)

He will cast Stillness after the Monks attack, and then recast it to get through the 4 turns necessary for the Monks to Minus Strike x4 with 1 HP again.

Salve-Maker (Templar)

His main function is Giant's Drink, followed by Rampart as an added safety net if my Stillness timing is off.

Part of me would rather play the game "normal", without relying on super-cheesy feedback loops to clear bosses, but this is what I was thinking of keeping in my pocket to deal with bosses I can't beat conventionally.

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:24 pm

If you can guarantee your speed tiers, that's going to do work. Nothing pumps out easier single-target damage than Monk/DK. Might want to change out sub-WM or sub-Templar for something with BP manipulation, especially if you need some extra Spiritmaster BP for Fairy Ward against status effects or something, though I suppose you could also just toss Hasten World on someone since you're not really worried about the enemies getting extra BP.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:35 pm

It was my understanding that most status effects were tied to special attacks, which would be blocked by rampart anyway?

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:56 pm

But not stillness.

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Either way, there's no harm in tossing Hasten World on your Salve maker and it'll reduce your time between bursts.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Kind of sorry Karen Strassman's part is so small. Mephilia is terrifying.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:20 am

In the back of my head I knew exactly what I was doing. Still, I wish I had at least gotten to the conjurer asterisk (or turned off autosave) before deciding to fuck with Airy and destroy a crystal. Skipping two chapters of plot was never the plan.