Bravely Default: Silicon Studio is 90s Era Squaresoft?

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Bravely Default: Silicon Studio is 90s Era Squaresoft?

Postby Bongo Bill » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:39 am

The best and most sensible time to do what you did is immediately after doing the thing you marked as a spoiler.
...but is it art?

Rico

Postby Rico » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:51 am

The game saves state when you do that. Finish it off and you can resume from right before you did.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:40 am

Bongo's post finally made sense when I learned that last night.

If they didn't put you right back I would probably have immediately jumped into a NG+ hard run anyway Everyone else happy in their original world while Ringabel got a lifetime to hang out and think about how he murdered his best friends before he even knew them isn't exactly a good end

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:17 pm

When R^2 RPs this game in twenty years it needs to be titled "I Gave Him my Digits Just to Watch Him Fidget".

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Oh come on, R^2 ought to be able to save up to buy a used copy of the game in ten years, tops.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:30 am

Second-to-last Central Command fight in Chapter 8? This game was fun, guess I'll give up forever now.

Rico

Postby Rico » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:10 pm

What's tripping you up in that one? They're all pretty brutalbut I remember that being one where I didn't really customize.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:09 pm

I ended up beating it with my next build, and learning that wasn't actually the penultimate fight (I was referring to Qada, Melphilia, Yulyana and Crowe) but it probably gave me the hardest go of any fight so far. I tried a few mana draining and magic defense oriented builds that would get obliterated in one or two turns max. I'm better for it though, because the final product may actually be unbeatable? If Stillness works on all enemies I can't see a time it would fail.

Suicide Squad:
Everyone but Agnes: Mnk/DK - Steady MP Recover / HP +10% / Speed +20% / Rise from Dead

Agnes: Spiritmaster/whatever - Hasten World / whatever

As long as you don't have any Agi changing equipment your team should always strike first. The monks pop phoenix strike then three minus strikes (as stolen from Paco) then Agnes moves last with Stillness. The turn stillness ends hasten world has provided you enough BP to get back to 0 and start the whole process over, only difference being you swap the PS with another MS.

Rico

Postby Rico » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Oh, yeah, that fight is one of the worst.

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:03 pm

I seem to recall I beat that fight by exploiting the fact that the enemies are vulnerable to Stop, if you've got Status Amp and Group-Cast All. Disable Qada and get Enigma (or better yet, 4x Adaptation) up while you pile the damage on him as fast as you can. If you need an extra turn, put Feel No Pain on everybody and have your group-caster put Reraise on everyone. Once Qada is gone, the enemy has no way to override your elemental immunity/absorption.
...but is it art?

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:16 pm

The title of this thread just got a bit more accurate.
...but is it art?

sei

Postby sei » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:37 pm

The chapter 5-6 stretch was so awful that it took the steam out of my sails[0]. I'm having trouble muscling through Chapter 7 now. My 3DS has been untouched for weeks.

[0] MIXING TECHNOLOGIES FOR BETTER SAILING

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue May 06, 2014 8:15 pm

I finally finished Bravely Default.

It is a pretty game with some great music, a really fun rogue's gallery, and some of the worst storytelling of any JRPG I've played in the past decade.

sei

Postby sei » Tue May 06, 2014 9:02 pm

but was it worse than ffxiii/xiii-2/xiii-montezuma's-revenge

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed May 07, 2014 3:02 pm

sei wrote:but was it worse than ffxiii/xiii-2/xiii-montezuma's-revenge

It's bad in pretty much the exact opposite way. Bravely Default tells a straightforward story in the most limp, safe, and boring way possible with long stretches where nothing happens and characters that got a lot of attention and color in the first 4 chapters fade into exposition-bots or non-entities and every interesting set piece is either off stage or in the past. FFXIII, otoh, is totally breathless and breakneck and isn't interested in its characters at all to begin with.

sei

Postby sei » Wed May 07, 2014 5:00 pm

I found BD ch5-6 so intolerable that I still can't bring myself to play through 7 and finish the game. 1-4 were great. I think the dialog made up for the lack of the story's originality.

I managed to get...pretty much to the end of FFXIII. I hated half the main characters (Snow, Hope, Vanille) due to their dialog.

FFXIII-2 had that sphere leveling system that made it really easy to permanently fuck up your main characters' stats, so I actually put the game down in disgust after fucking myself about 2 hours in. Not like perfect stats matter in an easy game, but that rubbed me the wrong way, so I can't comment on its story.

As for "Lightning Returns?" I hope not.

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Wed May 07, 2014 11:47 pm

Chapter 7 is where it becomes good again.
...but is it art?

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Working my way through the demo.

In a lot of ways this is a game I've wanted to see since I played the DS version of FF3 -- take that engine and make something new in the same style.

But it IS just a little too oldschool for my tastes in some ways (my patience for save points and unavoidable random encounters has vastly decreased in the past decade). And the difficulty curve in the demo caught me off-guard -- it's pretty grindy, which I suppose is probably necessary if you actually want to get a few hours of play out of a town, a sliver of overworld map, and three small dungeons, but I wasn't expecting to get punished so hard in the early going for not putting a White (or Red) Mage in my party. It was "one or two fights, then run back to the inn" for quite awhile there -- and then I made the mistake of buying items BEFORE going to the inn and not having enough money left over to heal up; I had to sell a dagger.

I'm pretty impressed with the mechanics but I'm not sure if it's exactly what I want just at this moment.

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:28 pm

In the real game there's not much point to grinding for the first five chapters, and by the time it's useful you have mechanisms to do it briskly.