Bravely Default: Silicon Studio is 90s Era Squaresoft?

Rico

Re: Bravely Default: Silicon Studio is 90s Era Squaresoft?

Postby Rico » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Yea, and I get that the job is way more powerful than FF5s without any magic, but still, by that point in chapter 4 you're pretty set in your jobs so basically having to double level a new job that doesn't directly compliment (like a Spiritmaster) makes it hard to want to try it out.

Also fuck a random crit ruining a Sweeper chain

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Rico wrote:Yea, and I get that the job is way more powerful than FF5s without any magic, but still, by that point in chapter 4 you're pretty set in your jobs so basically having to double level a new job that doesn't directly compliment (like a Spiritmaster) makes it hard to want to try it out.

Also pineapple a random crit ruining a Sweeper chain

Valkyrie master skill with holy lance and fairy aid (the magic attack amp skill) basically caused straight KO damage on everything that couldn't absorb holy prior to ch.5

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

Bongo Bill wrote:make sure to get White Wind before you proceed to chapter 5, because otherwise it'll be much rarer to get.

Derp.
So...
Umm... Two days from now I'm going to tap back to an earlier save.
Y'all might want to stop my ablink from updating if you really like the current summon skill you're getting from me.

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:36 pm

So absolute best place I've found to grind JP in chapter 5 onwards is the area right before the Earth Crystal boss. At minimum you should see about 200 jp a fight and more than 500 if you fight six dark flans. I'm close to level 99 now with the list of mastered jobs slowly filling out for everyone.

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:12 am

The area just outside of Florem has JP yields that are about that range if not higher. However, I would encourage you to hold off on grinding too much until you level someone up in the twenty-fourth and final job. You'll know why you waited once you get there.
...but is it art?

sei

Postby sei » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:37 am

Poor man's obliterate: group-casting sleep+twilight with "free mp in a pinch" (or aspir if not fighting undead). So, BLM14, ARC5, and optionally RDM5.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/729328-bravely-default/68613021/775127386 wrote:once you have a black mage with Group Cast and Arcanist with Twilight you can go to the Florem Gardens and cast Sleep + Twilight. 6 Alraune Type enemies give 999JP with the Growth Egg + you'll be getting all bonuses if you have an alarm accessory

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:17 pm

If you get a Nemesis called Ba'al i; Turtle Dove be careful. It uses a status effect called Love that forces a party member to mimic the actions of another party member which might sound good on paper. It will also eventually blast them with an attack that will kill anyone affected by Love and if the entire party gets hit then the fight is as good as over. Also as the fight goes on it inflicts Love with larger and larger range going from two to eventually three.

sei

Postby sei » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:05 am

Metal Slime wrote:If you get a Nemesis called Ba'al i; Turtle Dove be careful. It uses a status effect called Love that forces a party member to mimic the actions of another party member which might sound good on paper. It will also eventually blast them with an attack that will kill anyone affected by Love and if the entire party gets hit then the fight is as good as over. Also as the fight goes on it inflicts Love with larger and larger range going from two to eventually three.
Fairy Ward?

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:22 am

sei wrote:
Metal Slime wrote:If you get a Nemesis called Ba'al i; Turtle Dove be careful. It uses a status effect called Love that forces a party member to mimic the actions of another party member which might sound good on paper. It will also eventually blast them with an attack that will kill anyone affected by Love and if the entire party gets hit then the fight is as good as over. Also as the fight goes on it inflicts Love with larger and larger range going from two to eventually three.
Fairy Ward?

Worth trying, but my Agnes already had a Ribbon on and it still got through to her.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Literally just started chapter 2. x3 attack on all characters but Agnes who uses blessed shield's cura on all party once a turn while fighting myconids means I never want to leave the miasma woods.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:14 am

Man, I am not going to get a 3DS, but dammit guys this sounds fun.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:08 am

The 3DS's library is certainly filling in well enough that I don't regret the purchase.

The Wii U, on the other hand, is only differentiated from a paperweight in the presence of both a Mario game and an infuriatingly slow OS.

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:44 am

beatbandito wrote:literal just started chapter 2. x3 attack on all characters but Agnes who uses blessed shield's cura on all party once a turn while fighting myconids means I never want to leave the miasma woods.

I tells ya, you will feel dumb for grinding there if you continue with the story.

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:59 am

It is always best to advance rather than grind until you reach chapter 4. Chapter 4 has a convenient auto-grinding spot, but even then chapter 5 has several that are twice as good, and in chapter 6 you get a job with an ability that has no purpose but to destroy random encounters effortlessly.

Some auto grinding setup tips:
Chapter 3: Use Blessed Shields against the undead enemies in Grapp Keep.
Chapter 4: Have a Salve-Maker combine Phlogiston with Phlogiston (both can be bought in Norende) against enemies you can fight in the daytime south of Eternia City.
Chapter 5: Use group-target fire attacks in the enemies in the vicinity of Florem.
Chapter 6: Get Conjurer to job level 9 to unlock Obliterate, then encounter the same enemies in the same spot as chapter 5.
Final Chapter: After entering either of the two Final Chapters, speak to Lord DeRosso to unlock the first nine levels of Dimension's Hasp. Use Obliterate on enemies on levels 5 and 6.
...but is it art?

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:10 pm

I beat Bravely Default a few nights ago. Curious to hear what everyone's various builds were and how they used them once more of us are done. I also leveled up to 99 and maxed out every class so anyone using Abilink with me is going to have eeeeeverything.

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:00 pm

The most optimized builds are ones involving using one character as a BP battery, and the most efficient such one is to put BP Recovery on everybody, then have a Red Mage (or anyone with B/W Magic) with Group-Cast All casting Poison, Poison, Poison, and Poisona on the party every turn. If you don't want to dedicate an ability slot on everybody (and render the entire thing pointless or at least very dangerous when you face an enemy against whom you'll want to use Fairy Ward), then you can put Singing and Miscellany on one character, so they Mimic themselves singing My Hero at every opportunity.

BP batteries are boring, though, so I decided that I wouldn't try to gain action advantage through such underhanded means. Did you know that the final boss is vulnerable to Fear, and it doesn't matter if Hasten World is giving them an embarrassing surplus of BP when they can't ever Brave?

The best strategy for all-purpose cheese is to make sure your whole party is faster than the enemy, and that your slowest party member has Spiritism, so you can have three party members drop their biggest attacks before your fourth one activates Stillness. Done right, this means the enemy can never do damage to you, but some Nemeses have ways of getting around it.

This is my endgame party. I haven't tested it against the bonus boss yet, but it can handle most everything else.

Red Mage / Time Magic: Group-Cast All, Status Ailment Amp, Silence Immunity
Demon's Rod, Aegis Shield, Gold Hairpin, Lordly Robes, Soul of Thamasa
This character's job is to make sure everybody has Reraise on them at all times. Haste, Slow, Regen, Quick, Veil, Protect, Shell, Esuna, Reflect, and Dispel are all wonderful spells to group-cast, and a surprising number of bosses can be hit by Poison, Fear, and Stop. My party usually has pages and pages of buffs active at all times; enemies who use Dispel effects can be a real challenge.

Dark Knight / Vampirism: Natural Talent, Knuckle Lore, Gloom, Sword Magic Amp, Default Guard
Nothing at all equipped.
This character is my main source of damage. Sometimes I drop those last three abilities in favor of Phantom Weapon, and put Black Magic in the second slot. With a P.Atk score of nearly 600, it's very unusual for this character not to hit the damage cap with every attack. The most important thing to do is to equip, use, and then unequip the Blood Sword, giving a Drain Sword effect to all their physical moves, which is handy. I'm not sure if Sword Magic Amp actually applies to non-basic attacks, but I can't think of anything else good to put in this slot; maybe Angelic Ward. Rage is the most efficient attack in the game, and in an emergency this character has two ways to heal this party to full - either White Wind, or Dark Nebula while everybody has Conversion active. Default Guard helps to not die to predicted group attacks.

Salve-Maker / Spiritism: Hasten World, Angelic Ward, Attack Item Amp, Speed 10% Up
Demon's Staff, Aegis Shield, Ribbon, Lordly Robes, Hermes Shoes
This character is my primary healer. Salve-Makers are not very good at group heals, but you don't need group heals when you can use four single-target heals at any time. With Convert BP, I make sure this character is always capable of acting, and the MP costs are immaterial as it's easy to compound mixtures that restore upwards of 500 MP at a stroke. The most important thing, however, is using Giant's Draft (Beast Liver + Dragon Fang) on everybody, which doubles their max HP. It turns out that very few enemies can threaten charactes who have HP in excess of 16000, no matter how poor their defenses. In an emergency, I can drop Enigma, Stillness, Fairy Ward, or Conversion on the entire party and stop most enemy strategies in their tracks. Additionally, this character is the only one with enough ability slots free to have Hasten World active. Hasten World gives you much more strategic flexibility, if you can deal with how it makes enemies relentless (I can). There's almost always something useful that can be done with Compounding, like sticking an elemental weakness on an enemy or topping off somebody's MP, so I get a lot of mileage out of Convert BP.

Swordmaster / Ninjutsu: Two-Handed, Transience, Counter Amp, Turn Tables, Comeback Kid
Ama-no-Murakomo, Crystal Helm, Crystal Mail, Heike Gloves
This character's job is to protect the rest of the party. It doesn't matter that my Dark Knight is naked if they never take any hits. Hasten World means this character can use Kairai to draw all enemy attacks and either Nothing Ventured or Before Swine as appropriate to counter them, and if they're using physical attacks, Turn Tables makes Utsusemi free. Counterattacks are a pretty steady and reliable source of damage, though they're not nearly as flashy as what a Dark Knight can do. Usually my Salve-Maker ends up giving them a Quarter Elixir every turn and that's all it takes - though it's important that my Red Mage keep Protect and Shell up (another good reason to have Hasten World).

What I'd like to try is a setup where everybody is a Valkyrie with Auto-Phoenix and See You In Hell, and just have them staggering Jumps of varying durations and constantly exploding and reviving each other.
...but is it art?

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:14 am

Giant's drink is also pretty hilarious with a Phoenix Dive > Minus Strike x3 build.

Rico

Postby Rico » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Metal Slime wrote:I beat Bravely Default a few nights ago. Curious to hear what everyone's various builds were and how they used them once more of us are done. I also leveled up to 99 and maxed out every class so anyone using Abilink with me is going to have eeeeeverything.

I didn't really minmax.
Valkyrie with Sword magic or Ninja with Bushido for tanky damage.
Monk with Sword Magic naked pumping out the end-of-turn strike for low setup damage cap.
Spiritmaster with White Magic and Holy One for support.
Conjurer with Black Magic with Pierce Magic and Steady recovery to conjure Deus Ex then hit the damage cap without running out of mp in two rounds.

Last boss made me wish I had a second support character, but most everything else was easy. Level 78. Figure I'll get creative with hard mode new game+

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:59 am

Kinda wishing the higher-level attribute up support skills had better slot efficiency.

Rico

Postby Rico » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 pm

I think the worst offender for that is all the support skills you need to make damage magic viable. The practically mandatory 3-slot Pierce M. Def is crippling, and even if you have a million restorative items you're probably going to want a slot for Steady MP Recover or something just to not waste a turn. I know it's supposed to balance out the ease of hitting Weaknesses and the potential multi-target but you just have so much more flexibility with physical damage dealers. It would've been nice to play around with some different options.