Bravely Default: Silicon Studio is 90s Era Squaresoft?

sei

Bravely Default: Silicon Studio is 90s Era Squaresoft?

Postby sei » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:37 am

Bravely Default is FFV made with 2012's technology, absent SE's 2012...annoying direction. I'm digging it.

Getting that kind of retro throwback feel I got from FFIX. It feels a little subtler, maybe because it's not rubbing moogles, chocobos, and Vivi in my face. So, less a FF mainline entry and more a re-imagination of the series's early entries.

Anyone want to swap codes for this? If Doom is still alive, I expect him to have maxed out Merchant.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Bravely Default: Silicon Studio is 90s Era Squaresoft?

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:26 am

Someone I know was going on about this recently. It amused the hell out of him that the title screen is a massive spoiler.

sei

Postby sei » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:25 am

The Sage of Yulyana's VA (Dave Mallow) seems to be doing his damnedest to sound like Deckard Cain's VA from Diablo (Michael Gough).

Ringabel's VA (Spike Spencer) also sounds vaguely Laytonish (Christopher Robin Miller).

I don't normally care about VAs, but I was surprised they were separate people. Maybe I just have shitty ears.

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:06 am

I wouldn't know because I turned the voice volume down to 0 because so far (early in chapter 2) the quality of the voiceovers is literally the only thing I don't love about this game.
...but is it art?

sei

Postby sei » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:26 pm

That and Agnes being a little too Sansa for me.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Is it worth playing the demo and transferring data, or was that just a holdover and there's nothing that the actual game doesn't cover?

sei

Postby sei » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:46 am

Play the demo, if only for the 20 villager exploit to give yourself a lead on building the town.

It'll help make up for being a terrible hermit with no streepass villagers available.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:47 am

sei wrote:Play the demo, if only for the 20 villager exploit to give yourself a lead on building the town.

It'll help make up for being a terrible hermit American with no streepass villagers available.

sei

Postby sei » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:36 am

maybe you go to burger food land like other fat american and find many 3ds with our tastefully clad 1520-year-old not-sex-object game there and make your village big like netcafe

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:53 am

You don't need to streetpass. You can just ping netfriends.
You need streetpass to do real ablinks though.
So I'm not 100% sure what they do.
I'm trying to "rush" the bonus JP thing for the freelancer job and maybe I'll be popular and everyone will want to ablink with me to give their mans a JP boost.

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:31 am

The demo is pretty fun in its own right, and it isn't the sort of demo where they just repackaged the first few quests of the main game; it is original content, unrelated to the main game. You can get by just fine without the villagers from that exploit (the 20 villagers you get is about five days' worth of free internet villagers) and the low-level rewards you get from finishing it aren't valuable either.
...but is it art?

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:15 pm

The demo is really good at teaching you that the main game is basically over as soon as you unlock ninja.

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:49 pm

I thought that was true of most Final Fnatasy Job systems?
Or maybe that's the dual wielding skill?

EDIT:
I am also very pleased with their choice to give you the monk straight off, and as usual it is a physical damage class whose damage output scales at a minimum rate regardless of what you can buy in the shops.

Incidentally, I've mostly been unlocking special moves and special move parts with my 7 villagers.

EDIT EDIT:
Tried to tackle belphegor; got massacred because I didn't psychically divine his gimmick (and couldn't stand up to his all-cast firaga).
Looked up his gimmick;
Realized my beelzebub strategy of "pile on bug/lightning damage through special moves" is not viable.
Am now realizing I probably should rename all my special moves so the element and target monster type is evident from the name before I send it out.

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:47 pm

Up to Freeelancer Level 9. The last 3.5K JP before the JP-up skill are going to be the toughest, I feel.

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:08 pm

I'm liking Bravely Default buuuut going into it I begin to wonder at how some of their decisions are affecting game balance and how much self restraint I should exercise so the game remains reasonably challenging but not frustrating. As an example I was doing the fight to get the Merchant job earlier today and I summoned BongoBill's Ringabel in and he one shot the boss's partner from full HP.

Also Norende offers a lot of good affordable gear early on if you got the villagers available.

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:10 pm

A recurring feature of this game is that it is as easy or as difficult as you make it. For a reasonably balanced experience, never summon a friend, never use Abilink, and never spend any SP. Maybe even turn EXP gain off if you grind.
...but is it art?

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:38 pm

Although I've occasionally, "cheated," summoning a friend, or basically any of those features (with the exception of no XP, which I didn't realize was a thing) is for Norende Nemeses only.

Playing on normal, I've accidentally ground and min-maxed my way toward virtually all encounters being jokes.
The monsters still HIT hard, I just have a valkyrie, lu bu's spear, and the ability to hit any of the elemental triad with crescent sweep on a character who's now fast enough that they always go first (barring encounter circumstances)

It took a while for me to get where I felt like my characters could do real damage though.
That fight against the thief guy was practically a battle of attrition, with my characters dealing damage in the teens until I norende'd up some special moves whose passives put the damage up to respectable levels.

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:26 pm

Just scored the JP up support skill.
Huzzah.

EDIT:
I just noticed that asterisk bosses don't provide any pg.
And there's an accessory you can get from Norende that amps up JP and XP rewards but nils out pg.

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Speaking of pg, I'm hoping resource scarcity keeps going on through the game. I've only just started, third job unlocked, and I am really digging having little enough money to have to make actual decisions about buying spells and upgrading equipment.

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:14 pm

I spent a little too long grinding in chapter 2.
Which was dumb, because there is almost no point in trying to grind for JP. Which is what I was grinding for.

As a result, I generally have enough cash to not need to worry about buying too much new gear at each shop.
Then again, the game has trained me to save for that one coveted item pretty well.
Also Norende's later stuff is apparently pretty hot and can trivialize some portions of the game.

A Valkyrie (aka Dragoon-like) with 2 handed weapons, Lu Bu's spear, and a few well placed buffs/debuffs (sword magic is good so far) can output 3k to each foe on 1 turn.

So that's deliciously broken.

I also met the apparent damage cap against one of the asterisk users. They're decidedly a support class though, and I had basically all of my special move buffs running and Edea did a high jump. It was pretty oomph.

I wish I'd remembered to send it.