Because at least two of us still play TF2

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Because at least two of us still play TF2

Postby Mongrel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:59 am

Reposting a request from elsewhere:

Mongrel wrote:Maybe you know about this, maybe you don't. I might as well ask, because I doubt it can make things worse.

Okay, so today we had to reset our modem and also to change our router. This causes Steam to think I am logging on from a different machine. This is ordinarily no big deal - Steam sends a validation email and I can enter the confirmation code to verify the new machine.

Only not this time. This time I instead get an error message stating that because I am logging in from a new machine, I have been banned from all trading for seven days. No way of triggering a verification email is offered, but reading the support page for this states you can trigger one by rebooting and restarting Steam. This did not work.

I have been trying for two weeks to trade for a seldom-listed and hard-to-find item for Starr. Today a kid finally came on with that item, but of course this is going to slip through my fingers.

Googling for an answer for this problem has not yeilded anything useful. Only ragethreads on the Steam support forums locked by moderators with no useful answers.

Is there any solution to this problem that I am missing? I am trying not to be mad at Steam at the moment, but the fact that my account has been frozen due to mundane system maintenance, with seemingly no option for redress or repair is a little... frustrating.

Mongrel wrote:Alternatively, if someone has 1.44 metal (1 refined + 1 reclaimed + 1 scrap) to trade and wants to trade with a dude on my behalf, I'll pay you back in a week.

EDIT: Okay a buddy picked it up for me. So if this doesn't have a fix it won't matter... I'll just wait.

Lyrai

Re: Because at least one of us still plays TF2

Postby Lyrai » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:39 am

Hey I still play this shit regularly. I recently got a gold flamethrower that shines green and makes me spit green fire from my eyes.

Mongrel

Re: Because at least two of us still play TF2

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 08, 2014 1:47 pm

They are working on a way for people to upload their own taunts to Steam Workshop.

HOLY SHIT. WANTS ^.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:36 pm

End of the Line finally came out.

It's alright, but this was one of those too much hype cases where the trailer is almost as good as the whole thing, maybe even better. If it hadn't been so built up, I'd have easily rated it amazing.

The avoidance of dialogue gets a little too pathological at times too. Could have done with a few more grunts or shouts or anything, really.

The related drops are cosmetic items (there's a single new melee weapon, but it's just a reskin).

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:29 am

Yeah, End of the Line indeed. I mean, the great innovation of 2014 was adding kart races.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:48 pm

I mean, in terms of TF2 SFM movies, it's actually better than just about everything else made since SFM was released, outside of Expiration Date. It was just a case of waaaaayyyyy too much GET HYPE. The trailer gives away almost the entire plot and more that half of the very best shots.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:48 pm

So, because Steam's server listing software for TF2 is trapped somewhere in the early 1990's it is actually impossible to find decent servers. I mean, you can't even search by most of the basic parameters, let alone by keywords. When you laboriously search by just reading servers one by one, it's a nightmare mishmash of trade servers, orange maps, 24/7 single-maps, or other garbage.

So while there are still hundreds of servers up, almost all the playable servers I once knew have completely died. There is now only a single active server I know of that runs 24-man games, with stock map rotation (and it's the fucking Furry Pound, so it's typically full of complete fucking idiots, regardless of whether if they're actually furries or not) and overall only two servers which will regularly be active and two more which which will very occasionally have people playing.

The only survivors on my list are
- Furry Pound (24 man, stock rotation, always active, complete idiots playing, 50/50 chance of good games vs steamrolls, furry gangbang cock sprays everywhere)
- TN Payload rotation (32-man, very good playerbase, mix of stock payload maps and custom payload maps, always active but extremely hard to reliably stay on as it has donator kick and there are hundreds of donators)
- ATF Humapholics (28-man, stock rotation, decent players but sometimes whiny and petulant admins, sporadically active)
- Railbait (32-man, stock rotation, alright players but a worse-than-typical tendency to imbalanced games/steamrolls, sporadically active)

Does anyone know of any servers that are doing 24-mans, with some map rotation (extra maps added in too are perfectly fine and maybe even desirable if they're good maps) and without dumb mods like nocrit? Essentially just stock stock stock, with maybe custom maps added in. I'll take 32-man out of desperation, but you're barely playing TF2 anymore on 32-mans.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:49 pm

I think your real problem is finding 24 people who still want to play stock rotation.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:01 pm

I know you're kidding, but I would actually love to play custom maps too - the problem is that finding a server that runs well-balanced and fun custom maps and has people regularly playing on it is several orders of magnitude more difficult than just finding some group that has a basic server running.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:24 am

Oh right.

http://backpack.tf/id/l3divinebuster

If you want anything here it's yours, Mongrel.

I'm out of TF2. Even sold off my stuff. (Got $1100)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:59 am

Time for a thread title change.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:41 am

;____;

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:14 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:20 pm

Holy shit that's a huge number of balance updates. Most of them are minor, but the engineer looks like he's being encouraged to be less tanky and more surprise-y and the spy took a big hit to using the Dead Ringer (a long list of most neutral changes followed by "can no longer pick up ammo while cloaked") and received a whole bunch of buffs to a ton of other stuff in compensation.

Oh and I guess there will be ghetto weapon customization? It's either going to be purely cosmetic (which I hope), in which case who cares (thank god), or actually affect gameplay stats (in which case holy shit, fuck that). Either way it smells a bit desperate. TF2 isn't dying or anything but as both Lyrai and I know (and maybe some of you too?), the TF2 market for rare items has crashed hugely in the past year - the big money has gone out of the game.

Oh right! Hey Lyrai, we still need to do that deal for the pile of leftover weapons sometime.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:01 pm

Dead Ringer gets 3 seconds of no bump shadow and increased speed after dying now.
And yeah, it's all cosmetic, it says on the FAQ.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:17 pm

zaratustra wrote:Dead Ringer gets 3 seconds of no bump shadow and increased speed after dying now.
And yeah, it's all cosmetic, it says on the FAQ.

Most good play of Dead Ringer involved making it to at least one ammo box in order to make a clean getaway. Not always, but pretty often. Whether the increased speed makes up for this, I don't know yet, but having the seven seconds be a hard restriction seems like a big debuff to me.

A good spy could usually dodge the bump shadow thing by moving well, so while that's irksome I don't mind the change especially.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:22 pm

zaratustra wrote:And yeah, it's all cosmetic, it says on the FAQ.

New feature : Weapon exchange and pick up. Weapons dropped by killed players can no longer be picked up for ammo. Killed players will now also drop a medium ammo box. Players that can normally equip the dropped weapon (proper class) can look at the weapon and press the 'action key' to exchange it with what they have equipped. The player's equipped weapon will be dropped on the exchange.

So basically item-hungry collector retards now receive an in-game debuff. Cool!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:56 pm

The Engie changes are absolutely a buff... woo yeah nice.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:28 am

Sooooooo... apparently the new taunts do not random drop and are store-buy-only? Oh interesting.

patito

Postby patito » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Mongrel wrote:
zaratustra wrote:And yeah, it's all cosmetic, it says on the FAQ.

New feature : Weapon exchange and pick up. Weapons dropped by killed players can no longer be picked up for ammo. Killed players will now also drop a medium ammo box. Players that can normally equip the dropped weapon (proper class) can look at the weapon and press the 'action key' to exchange it with what they have equipped. The player's equipped weapon will be dropped on the exchange.

So basically item-hungry collector retards now receive an in-game debuff. Cool!

I fail to see how that's a debuff. But at least killing enemies still makes them drop ammo.