Diablo: What fresh hell is this?

Z%rø

Diablo: What fresh hell is this?

Postby Z%rø » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:47 pm

There was a big patch that dropped for Diablo 3 the other day that included a lot of the new systems in Reaper of Souls due out next month. The new loot system, as well as difficulty and class changes has produced a very good game.

Here's the big things:

-Loot now mostly creates relevant items to the character you are presently playing, and the rolls are less bullshit. (Anywhere from 1-300 agility is now instead 200-300, for example.) There are also many, many new legendaries with fun effects that aren't exactly game breaking, just vastly game changing. The downside is that they are Bind of Pickup UNLESS you're grouped with friends, in which case you can hand it off to anyone who was in the game with you when you found it for 2 hours.

-Difficulty is now changeable at any time. Yes, this means the legacy system of Diablo difficulty is gone (Normal, Nightmare, Hell, Inferno) but the end result is something that is fun and rewarding. You're playing a more up to date game with adjustable difficulty that gives better rewards. Higher difficulty has enemies with more health and damage, but you get straight up better loot and more experience. As someone who dealt with Inferno at release, I have to say the whole deal scales way better. The progression feels natural and doable rather than a steep fucking cliff they throw you off of after hell.

The class changes are good, but I feel like those two changes did a lot to fix the game. I wouldn't suggest reading over the patch notes, because those are insanely long.

Oh by the way the auction house is finally going away forever when RoS actually drops.

sei

Re: Diablo: What fresh orange is this?

Postby sei » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:52 am

Difficulty is now changeable at any time.
Sort of.

Torment is the top difficulty. It's in 6 grades of 1-6, sort of like the old monster power or /players systems.

Once a game is made, Torment level can only be turned DOWN, not up, unless one remakes the game. This is presumably to avoid trivializing trash.

Bal

Re: Diablo: What fresh hell is this?

Postby Bal » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:14 am

The pre-Torment game (torment is unlocked at level 60) is split into four difficulties Normal, Hard, Expert, and Master. However, unlike previous Diablo and similar titles where each difficulty is unlocked as you complete the previous difficulty, you can increase the difficulty at any time for pretty significant experience and drop rate boosts. Enemy levels simply scale with your character no matter what act or difficulty you are on. This lets you cruise through or crank it up as needed. I, for instance, came back to my Barbarian who was in Act III of Normal mode before the patch, found the game too easy by the time I got to Azmodan, and turned it up to Expert for all of Act IV. You'll still need to complete the game multiple times to get to 60, unless you get power leveled, which is now totally possible again, but it's nowhere like as tedious as going through Normal, Nightmare, and Hell just to get to the real shit.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:49 pm

HUH.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:33 pm

I want to say your word filtered topic title has ruined it, but "What fresh orange is this?" is just as good.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:36 pm

I like to think it's just Diablo being delighted about his morning glass of OJ.

sei

Postby sei » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:17 pm

Off by a letter, but what the hell.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:55 pm

In line standard Blizzard asinine design principals, they upped the bonus exp to 100% until RoS release in the same hotfix that reduced a great majority of monster's EXP by 70%. The original reason for this nerf was because people were farming areas of high density (because there are only a few left that offer consistent high density) so anything with a health modifier of <1.0 (meaning, little shit skeletons/zambies/demons) had their EXP massively reduced.

Leveling is going to be so fucked once this bonus is gone. That is unless it's just like this for the duration of the bonus?

There's also this:

We've been listening to player feedback on difficulty rewards, and one of the most frequent comments we receive is that Torment difficulty isn't rewarding enough. As a result, we've reached the decision to make class-specific sets, specifically Natalya’s, Immortal Kings, Tal Rasha's, Inna's, and Zunimassa's, drop only in Torment I or above from this point forward.

"Torment isn't rewarding enough. So we nerfed other difficulties instead of making Torment better."

WHAT.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 am

Totally reasonable adjustments for a game completely based around grinding, actually.

sei

Postby sei » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Torment 1 is kind of a cakewalk anyway, so I don't really see the concern.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:10 pm

I was unable to strongarm my local gamestop into giving me the game early, so I have to go pick it up tomorrow at 10 AM. Fuck if I'm going to settle for a digital collectors edition, though.

Nope

Postby Nope » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:22 pm

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:14 pm

I enjoy crusader, but I'm going to wait for buffs/fixes before I play a lot more.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:29 pm

Picked Reaper of Souls up and am enjoying it. Currently running a Demon Hunter in Torment 2, using a multishot build that converts multishot to discipline and discipline to hatred for infinite multishot.

The top Demon Hunter build centers around Cluster Arrow, but it sort of requires a cindercoat (% increase fire skills damage, % reduce fire skills resource cost) to be fully effective. Until I find one (or I get bored and quit) I'll stay with the multishot build.

Overall I like the new direction of the game, with the lack of any real trading, Auction House, and Magic Find. I've always hated Magic Find (I feel like it makes you gear sub-par) ever since Diablo 2. Now it's all about how efficient/fast you can farm.

The Bounties and Rifts of Adventure Mode are a great idea, in that they mix up where you go and what you kill. In the end, though, the endgame is entirely about grinding, and nothing else. I'm sure I'll lose interest long before I reach "endgame" gear.

Compared to D3 at release, this is an absolute different beast. I give it 8 BLEED YOU FILTHS out of 10, because I use the whole fucking scale.

1 - joke about Daikatana goes here
2 - joke about Spore goes here
3 - sucks more dick than Kazz
4 - sucks about the same amount of dick as Kazz, but I guess it's sort of fun
5 - meh
6 - flawed, but fun
7 - fun
8 - very fun
8.8 - joke about Zelda goes here
9 - incredible game, very few flaws
10 - joke about Portal goes here
ImageImageImage

sei

Postby sei » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:14 pm

D3 is all about the company you keep.

I don't think the single player does much for me.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:31 pm

The fact you can trade with people you're playing with if something drops basically fixes a lot. Not to mention the bonus EXP and magic find. I find it hard to push myself to do single player, but I definitely can not get enough of group play.

That said my class still kind of sucks so whatever

sei

Postby sei » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 pm

I'm mostly pleased with how they handled legendary trading. It fucks over d2jsp and gold sellers, but still allows friends to share a lot of what they find.

My luck with gear has been pretty damned bad. I'm wearing at least 2 things from Oxi and 1 thing from Ziiro.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:14 am

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:16 pm

I would have been halfway tempted to select it and see if the stat values were correctly reflected on my sheet.

gratz on your .5 crit
ImageImageImage

sei

Postby sei » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:18 pm

I really should have done that.

My luck with legendary bracers has been pretty bad.