Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:34 pm

Tanks put in little loot packages as World Cup Promos. That's fine except that they're conditional on you correctly picking a team playing in the World Cup to win various stages/finals matches.

So, someone at HQ failed to realize they just put actual literal sports betting in the game.

This should be interesting.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:48 pm

I went ahead and bought Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill.

And...look, this is not a game you buy because you expect it to be a good game. This is a game you buy because it is an artifact. Because you want to be able to say you own Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill. And because you want to support the sort of people who purchase, finish, manufacture, and sell obscure lost 16-bit video games.

The game itself is...exactly what you expect. It's a mediocre mascot platformer. On the plus side, it has some big, beautiful sprites, and some genuine laughs. (The second level features protesters whose signs spin around and say "OOF" on the other side when you hit them, and the Game Over screen shows the world being destroyed in a mushroom cloud and Socks hurtling off into space.) I'm pretty sure the first boss is supposed to be LBJ? And the second one is definitely Nixon. So, just to be clear, this is a video game where you get to beat up Richard Nixon.

I love that this thing exists. It's a delightful piece of gaming kitsch. I am pleased with my purchase.

I don't know that I can recommend buying it to anybody else. If you've read this far and you're thinking "Hey, that does sound like something I want to pay $35 for (or $60 to get a box and manual)," then go nuts. If you're thinking that seems a little steep, then you've got a point. I think they're planning on selling it as a ROM at some point; maybe wait for that?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:04 am

Some friends trying to drag me into Fortnite. Explicitly for multiplayer, mostly pair-up.

What are the drawbacks to just being free-to-play scum?

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:22 am

Oh, we're in a similar position here, except the pressure is from first granddaughter and thus cannot be avoided. Hoping this thing has hidden Minecraft potential and isn't just the mindless consumerism training wheels bike it looks like. We must compare experimental notes.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:31 am

Free users can't play the single player campaign, and don't get any cosmetics.

That's it. There's no loot boxes, just typical freemium stores to spend waaaaay too much real money on stupid crap.

That's it for the freemium cons.

As someone who was dragged into Fortnite by a friend several months ago, I've played it enough to have my own problems with the gameplay and design, but that's another topic.

My advice to both of you (and anyone starting up new) is to stick with the 50v50 game mode. You can still play with up to three of your friends in a squad (your other 40-something team mates show up on the map still) and it is a lot more noob friendly. The level of skill and practice required to not get instantly shit on by the first squad you encounter in a normal game cannot actually be achieved anymore by playing normal games. You simply can't learn anything, you just die and never see your enemy from their massive structure they just spontaneously conjured above and all around you.

50v50 is a lot more casual and fun (you drop on opposite sides of the map from the enemy 50 players, so you can loot in peace) and you can contribute to your team without having to know how to instantly build the Taj Mahal to get high ground.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Good to knowwww!

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Battle Royal modes in games can be fun and I love them, with one MAJOR condition. You cannot have fun unless everyone in your party is the same level of serious (this is also the same for MOBA). I enjoy a light hearted, I'm just having fun, style of play in these games that I'm sure you and Starr would also, but if any of the friends who want you to play with them in this get serious about video games, absolutely stay away from that shit. Its a recipe for fucking heartbreak.

That being said, if everyone is light hearted, the Battle Royal modes for Fortnite are very fun and cartoony enough to not feel as serious and heart racingly tense as PUBG.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:59 pm

Joxam wrote:Battle Royal modes in games can be fun and I love them, with one MAJOR condition. You cannot have fun unless everyone in your party is the same level of serious (this is also the same for MOBA). I enjoy a light hearted, I'm just having fun, style of play in these games that I'm sure you and Starr would also, but if any of the friends who want you to play with them in this get serious about video games, absolutely stay away from that shit. Its a recipe for fucking heartbreak.

That being said, if everyone is light hearted, the Battle Royal modes for Fortnite are very fun and cartoony enough to not feel as serious and heart racingly tense as PUBG.

Yeah, my buddy and me will get sort of serious but not fucking nutso tryhard. So that should be fine. We've played tanks together for years. He's in Australia though so we're definitely going to see how ping works out.

And yeah, maybe Starr would be interested too.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:13 pm

I'm in the game boat. I was at breakfast with my nephews the other day and all three of them looked up at me, asking me why I wasn't playing Fortnite with them yet.

Like, I gotta now.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Mothra wrote:I'm in the game boat. I was at breakfast with my nephews the other day and all three of them looked up at me, asking me why I wasn't playing Fortnite with them yet.

Like, I gotta now.

<:3

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 pm

fuckin scrubs

picross s 2 is out and y'all are ramblin on bout some casual bullshit

this one's got CLIP PICROSS

that's right motherfuckers: randomly sized picross bits that don't even make a whole fuckin' picture

strap the hell in

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:22 pm

i know, i know: you're like BUT NIKU

DO YOU UNLOCK CLIP PICROSS BOARDS BY COMPLETING MEGA PICROSS BOARDS?

hahaha no way, noob

you gotta do that EASY shit to get the clips u crave

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:45 am

Holy hell Fortnite sucks ass

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:02 am

Mothra wrote:Holy hell Fortnite sucks ass

Elucidate?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:43 am

Alright so you land, run around collecting cool guns and gadgets and building materials, then the circle closes in, so you outrun the edge of the circle and get closer to other players. You see a player in the distance, he doesn't see you, you run up to him and unload into him, kill him, then move on. Circle gets smaller. You're running, a guy sees you, starts shooting at you. You quickly build a wall to block his fire. He builds his wall to block your fire. Walls instantly create so you can block all fire by just re-building as they break through. You both build upwards on your forts, firing at each other, but you can't get through because you can always create more walls. Eventually you charge his fort, then the two of you get in this annoying awkward frantic gunfight where you have no idea what guns they have and he has no idea what gun you have, and one of you wins by chance.

Just a ton of preparation and buildup to a random frantic spray and pray.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:47 am

Hum. That doesn't exactly sound tactically rewarding.

Maybe it's better in teams tho.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:46 pm

My 7 year old cousin plays this game.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Are the forts physically simulated to the degree that building too high invites shooting out the foundations?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:59 pm

mharr wrote:Are the forts physically simulated to the degree that building too high invites shooting out the foundations?

This also raises the question of if there are explosives (I assume yes?), and if so what do they do.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Are the forts physically simulated to the degree that building too high invites shooting out the foundations?

Yes. Build not attached to anything disintegrates, and there's fall damage.

This also raises the question of if there are explosives (I assume yes?), and if so what do they do.

They destroy structures and damage players. Grenades, Remote Explosives, Sticky Grenades.

Mothra is right. The game's building gimmick seems like it would make for a strategic experience, but it's more about fast building and aiming than tactics. Basic smart play is simple: Build the high ground and do quick peeks to put damage on your enemy and prevent them from shooting back.

I repeat: This is not a game for old, slow videogame veterans looking for a slow paced tactical experience where proper planning and positioning is king. At all, in any way. Those things play a role, sure. Being able to build quickly and aim accurately is far more important.

How can I put this in terms you will understand, Mongrel.

Uhh...

Okay, TF2.

You know how TF2 lets the slower players still contribute by offering Medic, Engy, etc?

Imagine TF2, but everyone is forced to play a Scout, and you can build.
ImageImageImage