Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Postby Smiler » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Yakuza 0 is pretty good right out of the gate.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:31 am

You learn something new every day, such as:

Great game to play with a hyper 15-month-old: We <3 Katamari. Wholesome, colorful, fun soundtrack to dance to. We will definitely play together when he's older.

Terrible game to play with a hyper 15-month-old: Ikaruga. Hope you like surprise polarity changes, Dada! And imma gnaw on your Wavebird!
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:20 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Dammit, Sharkey. You always make ED look like so much fun (lawl) then I poke around the communities and read stuff like "it's the best space sim out there right now with combat almost as exciting as EVE!" and I remember why I haven't played a space sim/4x in a decade.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:37 pm

I feel the same way when my friends play Kerbal.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Yeah, this thing is dull as hell 99% of the time and even when something's going on it's probably in my imagination. Most of the time I'm actually reading a book or something, so it's basically like knitting. I keep thinking I should do a stream or something, but it'd be basically like Joy of Painting without the painting and also Bob Ross goes into an expletive-filled meltdown every few hours.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:36 pm

That doesn't sound half-bad actually.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:33 pm

I got Freedom Planet (which, again, is currently $3.74 on GOG) and I'm enjoying it so far. I've seen it described frequently as "to Genesis what Shovel Knight is to NES", and also as "take Sonic and then add Zero's moveset and Gunstar Heroes' boss fights". Both seem like pretty apt summaries.

I got some major slowdown during the second boss fight (though, again, the computer that is hooked up to my TV is a 2009 Pentium, so that may be a factor), but that just added authenticity to the whole experience.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Breath of The Wild: Feels like the first real fun Zelda game since... uh well Link Between Worlds honestly. But if you thought LbW was the best overhead Zelda since LttP (because you're dumb and/or forgot about LA) than you'll compare this to OoT or MM as favorably. This actually is similar to Dark Souls in that it drops you off in the world and that's basically it. The tutorial is more involved, but literally the moment to get your last power you're given a general direction to move in and will definitely get distracted before you get there.

For Honor: Has gotten hard to play casually. Spending more time in v. bots when I do put time in. There aren't many more good players, just more of the good players can wango dango me with nothing I can do.

Gloria Victis: Boy, there sure are a lot of nazis that like games about being a European man from medieval times. Weird. Anyway it's pretty good. The combat is more fun than I expected for how broken most of the game is, but pretty basic. Also leveling is just walking in circles and slapping npcs while numbers go up.

Transformice: Is like, exactly the same as it was ten years ago, especially if you play vanilla mode. Once again I'm spending more time with the empty box than the three games I spent money on. Pretty good for picking up for 2-20 minutes a night.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:03 am

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:31 pm

NieR: Automata is perhaps the only game where within five minutes you can go from an android musing on the Ship of Theseus Paradox as it applies to the components of his own body, to fighting a team of Western-themed robots. There's also a sidequest event that I swear is straight up channeling Ryan North's Romeo and/or Juliet, and another one that is explicitly channeling a robotic Jean-Paul Sartre. This game.

François

Postby François » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Gah, I know. The worst is, it's hard to really talk about it because there are so many aspects to it that I'm glad I got to experience without prior knowledge, and I'd just tiptoe around everything. OMG the thing! And the other thing! Man! Maaaaan!

"Pisseth off." Oh Lordy.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:52 am

The best thing in this game is running into an Ending completely by accident. I just got U. Whoops!

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:23 am

Endlessly checking to see if today is the day that Persona 5 will be delivered is like having a gun to my head.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Waiting for Persona 5 is a lot like Persona 3

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 pm

The latest update just hit Elite, adding, among other things: ship naming, third person camera options, and multi crew. Multi-crew is nifty, but kind of a let down in that the only roles besides a non-transferable helm are turret gunner and fighter pilot. Which is odd, given that there are matchmaking options for things like "smuggling" and "exploration," which by nature require neither a gunner nor a fighter pilot. Like everything else in this game it's apparent that they had greater ambition than reality would allow.

So with multi-crew comes pilot avatars, and holy shit am I impressed. I've got a pretty fuckin weird looking face, and this is on the very short list of games that let me get it exactly right. Usually I have to choose between the wrong nose, or taking an "asian" face and just wearing sunglasses. Given that the others on that list are mostly unplayable slop like APB, this might be the first time I get to play as myself in a game I don't despise.

Up until now ship names were all in my head. I'm a little pissy that such a simple feature is only just being added when it was promised in the kickstarter like five years ago, but the fuck ever. "Beats Working" is my smuggling Cobra.

"Furthur" seemed appropriate for my Firefly/converted school bus.

I've still got that Orca I was using as a battering ram, so I named it Quint. Hurr durr.

And here's what's probably my endgame ship. There are some sidegrades that require an ungodly amount of grinding I'm never going to do, and with some tinkering I can get this thing to outperform them, anyway. I've already turned it into a horribly beweaponed dreadnaught. Or at least dread-very-fucking-little. It's so damn big the nameplate is hard to see, but "Lapsed Pacifist" reflects my playstyle at the moment. It's been fun running from and evading engagements up til now, but I've found that scaring the bejesus out of people works even better. Basically nobody even thinks about fucking with the thing, and it probably helps that I've been so lax in maintaining the paint job that it looks like it's probably full of reavers. The only downside is I still prefer hanging out with explorers, but when I show up at an alien archaeology site or whatever they all take off like a flock of startled pigeons until I can assure them that I'm not actually a psychopath.

It's strange to realize that all I needed to do to deal with all the gankers and murder hobos is look like an unfuckwithably evil sonfabitch.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Patch is looking good.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:31 pm

Beta? What beta? You mean the paygated one they basically use as a promo tool instead of, you know, to find bugs and shit?

On one hand, this and a bunch of other idiocy leaves me resoundingly unimpressed. On the other, packhounds are a riot even when they're not broken, and I sincerely hope they don't have Macross Missile Massacre fixed before I have them unlocked next week.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:42 am

I... hm. Would I get in trouble for whining about not liking Hyper Light Drifter? Because damn, I was expecting more.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm past like the first boss and so far, it seems incredibly good.