Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Rico

Re: Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Postby Rico » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Eh, I've always felt that the war of resource attrition (including having to save the mana for an Evac+Return combo, both of which have varying mana costs and availabilities in the different games) was a design decision and as much a part of the dungeon's difficulty as the end boss fight, and that the full experience/half gold was just a surprisingly-forward way to substantially reduce the failure penalty.

But none of that precludes having a quicksave system on a battery-powered device that isn't complete dogshit.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:53 am

Just because it's intentional doesn't mean it's a good idea. I've got a lot less patience for games deliberately inconveniencing me than I used to; if I wind up having to replay the last dungeon as many times this playthrough as my first one I do not expect I'll finish the game. In fact I'm pretty sure that's why I never finished 9.

Obviously there's a continuum and there should be some penalty for losing. But having to fight a fucking 45-minute boss again is penalty enough. Especially if I lost by pure random chance because he decided to use his "attack entire party for 90% of their max HP" attack on both his moves in the same turn, and gaining a couple levels won't make any difference in whether it happens again next time or not.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:07 am

That's my general impression of DQ overall. It seems to come down to luck a lot, when enemies have "try to wipe the entire party" or "do nothing at all" and you just have to hope they do the latter more than they do the former.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:59 am

nosimpleway wrote:enemies have "try to wipe the entire party" or "do nothing at all" and you just have to hope they do the latter more than they do the former.

It really is a simulation of vintage D&D, isn't it?

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:46 pm

(AA6 SPOILER) EAT YOUR HAMBURGERS, APOLLO

Episode 4: Turnabout Storyteller is the fourth episode of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice. Athena Cykes takes on the case of Bucky Whet, a soba shop worker and an acquaintance of Simon Blackquill. He is accused of murdering Taifu Toneido at a yose, a theatre for performing rakugo.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Semi-related: Been really enjoying this Ace Attorney LP by two aspiring voice actors.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:03 am

Anyone ever used a gaming VPN service for ping improvement?

Obviously they make a lot of overblown claims and there's a lot of garbage out there but has anyone actually had a positive experience with gaming VPNs or a substantial improvement in ping?

The issue is that I play quite a few games with friends in Oz/Asia and the ping is murder (generally 250). For some games, I've managed to make it work in the past, and I've had to resign myself to simply not playing others (7D2D and Civ V were complete writeoffs, for example). Anyway, they just changed the server reporting in Tanks to be far more ping-based. The change might just make the game wholly unplayable for me (unfortunately they refuse all server transfer requests) and that in turn might just be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I have great ping locally (like, 5ms for Ontario/new England) so that's no issue and there's nothing further I can do WRT to our router (recently upgraded) or ISP. But crossing the Pacific is still an issue for the time being.

Pretty much the only option left is to possibly use a gaming VPN. But they're notorious for being scummy-scammy. And even the ones that aren't vastly overinflate claims. Reducing my ping from 260 to 220 would be an improvement, but not enough to genuinely solve the problem, put me on a footing even remotely close to that of other players, or be worth paying money for. On the other hand, if I could cut it to 130, I'd at least be in the same boat as the average Aussie or New Zealander.

That might not even do it on its own - the fundamental changes invalidate a huge amount of my core playstyle, so better ping might not improve things at all. But Tanks is far from the only game where bad ping has effectively crippled or entirely removed my ability to play with friends so I at least want to look at the possibility.

My suspicion is that there is little to no improvement. It's very difficult to find any objective reviews or information because anything related to shilling gaming VPNs is insanely SEO'd... which tells me something in and of itself.

François

Postby François » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:29 am

Shadow Warrior 2 is to Shadow Warrior (the 2013 one) what Castlevania 2 is to Castlevania. Except that Simon's Quest is Borderlands somehow? I want to spend more time with it but it's definitely feeling super weird whenever you're not fighting something.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:27 pm

Mongrel wrote:The issue is that I play quite a few games with friends in Oz/Asia and the ping is murder (generally 250).

Toronto to Sydney: approx. 15,600 km
Speed of light in fiber optic cable: refractive index is ~1.5, so call it 2*10^8 m/s or 200 km/ms

Round trip ping time in perfect conditions, if there were a single straight fiber optic running on the shortest path all the way there with zero router delays: (15,600 * 2 / 200) = 156 ms

Obviously it's not straight path (running diagonally across three-quarters of the US and through a couple major mountain ranges would be interesting), router delays do exist, some of it's in copper with slower transmission speeds, etc., etc. Whatever a gaming VPN is, it doesn't beat physics.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:39 pm

Oh, I actually had that conversion about VPNs elsewhere.

Yeah, the only time they ever really work is when they're using genuinely dedicated servers with optimal routing to fix a stupid routing issue. Like in central Europe, or the way a lot of aussie connections to SE Asia get routed first through Japan and Hong Kong, which adds 100 ping.

But yeah, leaving aside the issue of how most gaming VPNs are straight up scams, there's not much anyone can do about the underlying physics.

Oh and for Tanks, it wouldn't be Toronto to Sydney, it'd be Toronto to Singapore. But that really doesn't change a damn thing.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:31 am

Hey some of you folks have Nexus accounts, right? Could I ask one of you for a quick favour?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:49 pm

Gurumin 3d came out last week on the Nintendo eShop, and I'll let you guess for what device. I played it a few years ago on the PSP, and this feels like a direct port so far, which is disappointing since the Steam release added a lot both to the world and mechanically. I can understand why they had to tone it down as the thing chugs if there are more than three characters on screen at once.

It's very fun, and scratches the gaia/dark cloud itch for dopey dungeon crawler to restore a destroyed town, but not nearly the control in rebuilding. Sense of humor is super anime, ranging from pratfalls to the hilarious old man who keep trying to make out with the two young girls in town. A lot of the main character's writing is fun.

It's $15 and I think suite a portable system with dungeon length and gameplay variety (read, you will almost never not know what you were doing when last you played) but it's $10 on Steam for what is inarguable a better version of the same game.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:11 pm

So Elite's latest update finally added passenger missions and deployable fighters, which gave players an actual reason to fly Orcas and Keelbacks. I liked them before they were cool and now they're everywhere.

Keelbacks are over!

Nah, just joshing. It's been about a week and people have apparently realized that they're still kind of crappy and gone back to flying anacondas or whatever, so my spaceship hipsterdom is secure. I'm still in love with the stupid little thing, and with some small passenger cabins, detachable fighters, swiveling maneuvering thrusters and a dune buggy, the weird little bastard is basically a slightly uglier Firefly.

"She won’t be winning any beauty contests anytime soon, but she is solid. Ship like this, be with you ’til the day you die."
"That's because she's a death trap, sir."

It's small enough that it's perfect for smuggling and ferrying suspicious passengers around backwater outposts and dirtside colonies that aren't developed enough to have the large ports necessary for big ships, and it has a small footprint and long enough landing struts that I can set it down in narrow canyons, mountaintops, or rough terrain that'd be off limits to most anything else. Larger pirate ships and wings tend to ignore it as not worth the trouble, and random murder hobos usually expect an easier mark than they're getting. Honorable pirates (all three of them) can just have the four tons of tobacco or whatever.

I even hired a co-pilot. She tends to go through fighters like socks, but she's finally leveled to Competent, so that's happening slightly less. I still don't like giving her the controls for the big ship. The NPC AI seems to be preternaturally accurate with rail guns, to the point that she keeps overheating the ship with them and burning out modules. I let her take helm on the rare occasion suicidal aggressiveness is actually necessary, but the rest of the time I don't need her going berserk and shooting at cops whenever a stray shot grazes the ship. She also fucks with my power settings and wastes chaff and whatnot. Probably screws with the seat and mirrors, too. I have a feeling this experience will be indistinguishable from playing with Des once multi-crew is added.

I've been tweaking the engines and modding other modules for lighter weight, and it's actually becoming quite the fast, nimble little ship. It'll never be a match for a better ship (all of them) with the same modifications and an equally skilled driver, but it does surprise the hell out of would-be pirates who (quite reasonably) expect a "competent" ranked pilot in a fucking Keelback to be easy pickings. Even if I can't pull a win out every time I've always been able to launch a fighter for harassment, then boost away on a random vector while shutting down systems, disabling flight assist, and closing all the heat vents to go dark. It's actually a small enough ship that it can quietly drift off into the void at 400 m/s without being noticed, especially when there's a pissed off hornet in your face. A few minutes later I can defrost the windshield and recall the fighter while the jump drive is spooling up and be gone before I even show up on the radar again.

I'm at a point where I'm basically rich anyway, and I guess I could build a gigantic, horribly beweaponed death porcupine with a belly full of fighters and shield cell banks, or a high performance PvP murder rocket... hell, I have a few in mothballs somewhere, but I just prefer my jack-of-all-trades converted school bus. Alas, it's so unloved by the devs that they've never added any cosmetic options, otherwise I'd go full psychedelic with the paint job and name it Furthur.

Between the low repair and insurance costs on what is ostensibly a low-end ship and the liquid assets I have on hand I could die a hundred times before I even had to think about touching the other 700 million credits I have tied up in other ships and components. Except I haven't been dying, despite would-be gankers telling me that "you killed yourself at the outfitting screen." I think that's what I like most about this game: It's not about being level 25 out of 70 or grinding enough rep or credits for the "best" ship. It's about actually getting good at something through practice. It doesn't matter that you have a tricked out highway interceptor or a fucking tank if you can't drive worth a damn and you're chasing a guy who knows all the back country logging roads and is driving one of these:

Except it has an F-14 in the back and can turn invisible.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:58 am

Been sitting on Life is Strange Ep 1 for ages and ages and finally knocked it off. It went by even faster than I thought it would be - super, super short, about maybe 3 hours and over that time there were only maybe a half-dozen actual puzzles.

How does episode 1 compare to the other episodes in terms of content/length? I mean, it was well done, but if they're all that fast, I'm not sure I'd pay more for that than I would for an old choose-your-own-adventure book in a used bookstore.

As far as the game itself, I liked it, but one thing both Starr and I commented on is that it would have been more interesting if they'd done it as an inner-city school with hardscrabble kids instead of whitebread middle class west coasters. The kind of school where where flunking out is the rule rather than the exception and the '"popular" clique' isn't a bunch of effete rich kids, it's the high school branch of the local gang. I suppose the protagonist would probably have to be something other than an art school waif in that case.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:20 pm

It was a busy pseudo-weekend for videajames, on Monday I rushed out to take advantage of gamestop sales and ended up with enough reasons for me to keep putting off work this week even though oh man this stuff has to get done but that's a whole different story. Anyway, from least to most ablr to hold my interest:

Diablo III: Nerf Reaper He's OP of Souls
This is definitely a Diablo game. I've wanted to pick up D3 on consoles since before it was even out for them. The control-compatibility mod for the PC demo was like experiencing a whole new game from D1/2's "stand in doorway, hold shift and M1". That said fuck if I was going to pay full price for it, so it waited until what I'm hoping is the final collection of all DLC and nonsense and got it free in a bogo used deal. Even then it was only because Revengence apparently never got a console GotY edition, so I'll stick with PC on that.

The controller actually feels worse than I remember it on PC, but whatever. I haven't put much time into it yet because of the rest of this list, but the first area is certainly still the same. Except starting immediately into hardcore I still have yet to feel even threatened once yet, don't know if that's because they've recurved the difficulty in the later releases to make sure you can get new characters into the difficulties that actually matter early or what. Doesn't matter, it's a game to keep around because sometimes I like to pretend I might invite someone to my home.

Pokemon Sun
This is definitely a Diablo hey wait a minute, I see what's going on here. The Pokemon games I've put any amount of time into are Blue, Emerald and X, so I'm still not sure what are new features and what are old. I'm not nearly far enough in to put any real comment out there except that I don't know when your rival started picking the pokemon you have type advantage against but that represents everything that's wrong with America. But it's okay because sometimes my little birb sphere gets hit with water attacks and I need to dry him off with a hair dryer after battle.

Final Fantasy: BROOOOOOOOOOO
This isn't necessarily a Final Fantasy game, what a twist! I've put more time into this than Pokemon and Diablo combined, probably doubled, but still feel like not nearly enough. So far I've done 3-4 "go here" plot quests 5-8 "go here and fight" side quests and fuck fishing. The combat is closer to what FFX should have been, so I guess they're catching up there. I will give it the plus that for the first time in a Final Fantasy game I feel like a few good moves on my part can change the outcome of a fight that I shouldn't be able to win, instead of exclusively abusing weaknesses. The plot is dumb and I've been trying to avoid spoilers but I've got a feeling we're not ever going to end up being supposed to hate Noctits, so that's disappointing.

Dragon Quest: Builders
Holy crap this is my crack. I'm pretty sure you should specifically avoid this game if you're thinking it's not your style but you love DQ, because I'm fairly certain it doesn't just have a dumb stand-alone plot, but that it is actively outside of anything that makes sense in the canon universe. It's basically Minecraft with a lot of little issues, that are made up for by giving you actual guidance and a feeling of worth in your work. Dungeons are actually dungeons and not just more generic randomly generated world with a different tileset. If there's a crevice in a mountain there will be a cache of minerals at the end. There are a lot of plot structures that you can't break up, and you can't build to connect the islands that make up the world, only teleport between them. Stuff like this isn't nearly as annoying to me as the same types of things in Starbound because of how it's tied into the plot, which is very light and only really there when it needs to be. It also gives the first time I've heard an RPG give a real explanation that Heroes are heroes because they're the only people who get experience from killing monsters. Which is why since you're not a hero you can only improve your fighting capabilities by building better equipment, and why pest control aren't the most brolic motherfuckers in any RPG universe.

Basic gameplay is that there is a specific area that is your town, there are rules for what is and isn't a 'room' in this area, and building rooms with certain items in them will give point to level the town. Occasionally (while you're around, no villagers turn up dead while you're adventuring) monsters will attack, giving you real reason to build actual defenses and upgrade the materials to match the destructive force of whatever is currently coming at you. Cheap dirt walls will fall to anything, real steel or heavy stone only the tougher bosses can knock down. Some of the quests are also tower defense waves where you defend the town with the villagers. I've only made it through the boss of 'part 1' and have no idea how much longer the game is, but with very basic fuckery just in building the town, and basically no exploration (you can find and slay dragons for special couches, my kind of loot) it has to be like 20 hours of gameplay, and so far no real threats. Pro tip for the first boss and possibly every other one: build underground. I naturally design my stuff this way anyway and it made the fight a joke, especially after the first thing he does is completely flatten all the ground outside of your cities boundaries, including the entirety of my cities defenses

But I'm still putting like twice the time into Let it Die than anything else. If you have a PS4 get this game mang.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:58 pm

beatbandito wrote:Pokemon Sun
This is definitely a Diablo hey wait a minute, I see what's going on here. The Pokemon games I've put any amount of time into are Blue, Emerald and X, so I'm still not sure what are new features and what are old. I'm not nearly far enough in to put any real comment out there except that I don't know when your rival started picking the pokemon you have type advantage against but that represents everything that's wrong with America. But it's okay because sometimes my little birb sphere gets hit with water attacks and I need to dry him off with a hair dryer after battle.

You're his rival. Later you get another rival who is actually strong against you.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:57 pm

I guess this is more "Hey [%target] Whatcha Not Playin'?"

I haven't played a regular old real-world RPG in over 20 years. There's something about being with people who are RPing too hard that I always found intensely offputting and which has unfortunately sort of tainted the whole concept in my mind. Which doesn't mean I would never play at all, but it takes me a damned long while to warm up to the idea.

There have been a handful times over the past two decades when I reached a point where I started thinking it might be fun an interesting and asked to join in a game, but it seems like every time it goes sour before I even roll a character sheet. Invariably, even for games billed as lighthearted or casual, the answer is that the people involved are taking themselves way too seriously (to say nothing of the hilarious time I almost signed up for V:TES LARPing in Uni, which I may have mentioned on here before, haha oh dear bullet dodged).

Most recently, there's a guy I know who half-blogs about all the cool shit he does as a GM. A lot of it is very inventive and polished and it sounded very impressive. As far as I can tell, he's got a long and successful history as a well-liked GM with a lot of knowledge and experience. A little while ago, he decided to try a new concept, whereby he make up the rules on the fly, in a sort of a cinematic way - you can only do this in text (so perfect for online RPing) and basically nothing is decided until it's needed. For example, you don't know if guns is powered by magic or gunpowder until the first time one is fired. That's what I mean by cinematic - the players are also the audience in a way and discover things as the "movie" plays and everyone improvises together, not just the GM. I thought it was a great idea before and I still do.

So I joined up, ostensibly to play some NPCs, since I missed character signup. Anyway it went sour as usual*, really essentially because it boiled down my being too noob for PRO RPING (prorping? hmmm that sounds uncomfortable). So really it's just the same goddamned story as it has been the past twenty years of my running into roleplay groups. I mean I get the RPer stereotype and ha ha let's joke how about them gamers they're so awful amirite. But I also get that out there there are normal people who have fun roleplaying, only I only ever seem to run into the nincompoops and that is just fucking sad and depressing.

I mean... The only fun I can ever recall having RPing is being like 15 and playing in my buddy Ivan's stupid White Wolf campaign which was basically just an incredibly dumb multi-day gunfight/brawl between vampires and werewolves and we all had a great time because we were all 15-year-old kids who gave no fucks about anything other than having a ridiculous pew pew punch-up and sharing beer stolen from Ivan's dad.

*Specifically because first I made some mistakes in posting, though I got the tone they wanted by the third post, then I was asking OOC questions in a thread full of OOC questions about mechanics from players because I "wasn't a player" even though I had been told to play NPCs "like a PC" and this is in a game which is literally being made up on the fly.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:24 am

The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth is a frigging amazing fan mod for Rebirth. The new zones and bosses are great.

Also, The Stanley Parable narrator does the intro.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Finishing up Danganronpa 2. They kinda pull a SHODAN at the end, but it's fine because this series' villain is one of the better ones in a video game in recent memory. Destroying the world for no reason is beyond cliche at this point but man do they do a good job of going right up to the line of how nihilistic and twisted one could reasonably accept a human being could be. It's not often where I really can't help but want the villain to die.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:50 am

Messed around with the android/iOS f2p Star Wars: Force Arena yesterday, and it's a pretty good time.

Definitely trying to get money out of you, but there's consistent ways to progress without pay. You can constantly unlock packs from playing enough rounds and free cruddy packs every four hours up to a max of 3 sitting for you to unlock freely. There's the standards you get from winning, but you either have to wait or pay to unlock them, and there are limited queue slots for them, and each unlock timer needs to be manually started once one ends, so you can't just fill up and leave it for the night. Plus buying new packs is crazy, like almost $20 for a single pack that guarantees a hero. On that note...

The main draw for me is that it's the standard 'Clash of' type game where you're sending out units against an enemy's units both trying to take out an objective, but this has actual controllable hero characters, making it like a super-small-scale MOBA, and I'm actually having fun with it. There's empire / rebel characters from all over the disney canon, each hero has a specific 'partner' card (Han hero to Chewie partner is the obvious one) and the rest are limited to rebel/empire decks with no hero restrictions, but low-level at least they're basically palette swaps for each side's selection.

Haven't unlocked any heroes outside of the tutorial yet, but rebels I got Luke an Leia and Empire I got Grand Inquisitor and Orson Krennic (rogue one?) so I feel like that may have been partially random to get two of the three most iconic rebels and two of the most outer ridge empire. Either way, they play very differently, even though I have 1 force user / lightsaber and one blaster user per side all four feel like different characters.

Actual gameplay is definitely skill-based, so play with your tablet plugged in on wifi and maybe lower specs. But there's a definite level system. You level individual cards to increase stats by combining duplicates, their stats raise but not the cost of use. Also you have a player level that directly increases the health of your turrets and base. So there are limits per rank. I shot straight up into rank 2 after three wins, then solidly lost my way out when I just couldn't compete with their health pools. Two player levels later (which you get from upgrading cards) and there was no issue. So definitely something that I can see feeding the need to spend later game, if it holds my interests that long.

Anyway, I'd consider giving it a play. Now especially if you ever will, since I'm pretty sure the launch event of 'just under the amount of real money currency to buy a good card pack' and 'just enough fake currency to waste and buy more of with that real money currency' which is actually enough to pay to quick open packs and keep upgrading cards for the early game if you don't get greedy.