Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Lottel

Re: Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Postby Lottel » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:07 pm

I'm most of the way through 3 and my perfect team is both luigis and peach but my dream will never come true. Mario is more fun with Stomp upgraded so he can land on enemies heads to deal damage. Every time it's possible, I do it.

I'm pretty sure I'm maybe two fights away from unlocking the next character so maybe that'll change.

I think there's a pretty good difficulty jump from 2 to 3 as enemies get to do different status effects on you that actually matter.

As for the quests and replaying levels, I've heard it's best to do it soon after beating the world so they aren't too easy for you. I went back through world one and a lot of that became trivial and tedious. Ymmv though.

Postby Newbie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:42 am

malikial wrote:I liked Sunless Sea but the big question is, with you saying your PS4 is your main gaming device... am I gonna be able to convince you to get Destiny 2 and shoot nerds with me?

I'm guessing I'd need to get PlayStation Plus, too. Pretty much the only things I'll play on the PS4 these days is something that will entertain Julie while I play it. Witcher 3 was okay for this; Life Is Strange was better. I suspect Destiny 2 might be a hard sell by comparison.
tiny text

malikial

Postby malikial » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:21 am

I guess Mali can shoot nerds all by his lonesome self.

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:47 pm

I don't know if Life is Strange: Before the Storm needs to exist, and there's a lot of arguments for why it probably shouldn't. But I'm kinda glad it does. It's been pretty well hashed out that Rachel Amber in Life is Strange is that story's Laura Palmer. She's a mcguffin who drives the plot through others' recollections and relationships with her without you ever actually meeting her. So getting to see who she is through Chloe's eyes is a way damn more powerful story than I thought it would be on the surface, and a lot of that has to do with just getting Chloe's perspective on a lot of shit in the game; seeing her journal entries and her interactions with the people in her life give the game a reason for being beyond filling in the prequel gaps.

Granted I only just played through the original Life is Strange this past week finally to get the rest of the story after having watched Giant Bomb play through half of it two years ago, so everything is still super fresh in my mind, but damn if that game didn't manage to overcome it's clunky dialogue scenes and often questionable story choices to become something where I really fucking cared about the characters. I think Before the Storm is honestly better written in a lot of places than Life is Strange was, and it pulls off the trick of giving additional context without just painting in the numbers the original story left behind.

I wish it was DONTNOD who developed it, and I wish it wasn't voiced by non-union actors, and I wish it didn't feel weirdly fucking shoddy to actually play the thing (the controls and camera feel weirdly slippery and worse than the original game, which isn't a dealbreaker in a story game like this, but is obnoxious), but there's a moment in the first episode that punched me straight in the fucking gut in a way that few games manage.

Also it's hella gay in a straightforward way that you just don't fucking get from most games that get actual console releases (it is significantly gayer than the already "you can play this pretty gay" first story).

Postby Newbie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 pm

It's rough to hear about the places where this is a step backwards, because playing Life Is Strange this spring was one of the highlights of my year. I'm glad it's still pretty good, though. Not sure if I'm going to try to get this now, or hold out for the collected episodes a few years from now.
tiny text

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:28 am

Fired up Shadow of Mordor yesterday and it's stopped working since the last time I played it. Game launches, I can load my save, but once play starts the framerate's unplayable and the controls are mostly unresponsive. (I tried running the benchmark; it stuttered at <1fps for the duration and then hung, and disabled my keyboard so I had to kill it from an SSH session.) Menu screens work just fine, including the Sauron's Army screen, so I don't think there's a problem with hardware acceleration, but hard to tell.

I decided to fire up Mad Max to make sure hardware acceleration was working. It's working. It's the first Vulkan game I've tried and Vulkan works great; I maxed out all the settings (at 1080p) and it was smooth as butter, except one time it got a little choppy when I drove off a cliff. (I'll experiment a little; it's not like I really need all the settings maxed out.) It's the best-looking, best-performing game I've ever seen under Linux; it helped reassure me that Vulkan really is the future and I was right to go AMD over nVidia, despite the inferior OpenGL performance.

...at which point I realize, oh right, I haven't actually done an apples-to-apples comparison, because Mad Max uses Vulkan and Shadow of Mordor uses OpenGL. I don't think anything's gone wrong with my OpenGL packages, but it occurs to me that I never actually got around to checking that. Guess I should try Mad Max in OGL mode, or run one of Phoronix Test Suite's OGL benchmarks or something. Meantime, Mad Max is a perfectly acceptable substitute for Shadow of Mordor.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

So a friend of mine sent me a new(er than my existing) video card for my birthday. Once I was able to install it, I was finally able to play Skyrim.

I think I've been getting into the game a little too deeply, though. Yesterday, I rode by a patch of thistles on my bike ride and my first instinct was to harvest them.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Heat Signature is Hotline Saints Row in Space.

You have a tiny pod ship and get missions from a hub to go out and board ships from the four factions in order to gain support you use to expand the rebel network to other hubs, and money and resources to better outfit for liberations, or your personal mission. Randomly generated characters that play the same save starter equipment. Can retire, be captured (and sometimes rescued) or be lost to the void and you choose another to start from scratch.

On ships its Hotline Miami with varying ship sizes, layouts and guard loadouts. Missions are kill, capture, rescue, steal or hijack. Steal the ship and take it home, or be discovered and have them port at a faction hub to capture you. Get shot and launched out the airlock more often than anything, and have your pod pick you up and try again. Or don't and bleed out or suffocate.

It's a lot of fun that starts to get routine, then you're about to grab the objective when you're noticed, the pilot veers through enemy space to get home quick, and suddenly another ship is firing on you and took out a chunk of the ship that destroyed your pod and separated the hold with your objective. Do you stick to the wrecked ship and pray you find a way to finish the mission? Or jump out into the vacuum and try to shotgun propel yourself into the ship that took you out and hijack that for a ride home?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:08 am

9 seconds left before docking and capture, halfway between the pod and the captain in a very large ship. Mad dash to the target I need to take alive and blast a concussive shotgun into his chest, blowing him back a room and through a window, just close enough for the pod I'm remotely controlling as the vacuum starts sucking me out to grab him with a tractor beam.

ffffffffgghrragh this game

I also learned if you're being forced out the airlock after being knocked out with nonlethal weapons, there's a fraction of a second before you get sucked out that you wake up and can use a swapper on the schmuck that hauled you over.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:23 pm

And so, a week before official launch, and a month into its glorious empire, my shitty 1+5 completely shits out after the first drop and my Pocket Camp is wiped from this world before I could connect my nintendo account for save management.

François

Postby François » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:34 pm

beatbandito wrote:Heat Signature is Hotline Saints Row in Space.

Just wanted to say thanks for bringing this to my attention, I just got it in the fall sale and it is so much my jam that I want to spread it on toast. The moment-to-moment infiltration gameplay has basically the perfect rhythm and MacGyvering solutions never gets old.

And with any luck I'll be giving Corvus Fox your regards. :3

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:59 am

François wrote:And with any luck I'll be giving Corvus Fox your regards. :3
I hope you got to, about half my system is Corvus stations.

This weekend in "games to distract us from the enveloping veil of death that is life" is Albion Online

eh, s'pretty good.

Plays like Torchlight the MMO except no items drop. The main idea is that the only character progression is tiers of crafting and the ability to use those items. Past the first 3 'tutorial' tiers all items are player crafted from scavenged mats the same way all MMOs do these days. The plan seems to be that you can be pure combat, unlock the ability to use items but need a crafter to make them for you, or pure crafter unlocking high level item blueprints that you can't use yourself. In reality though you're going to know how to craft and wield a few specific lines that you use.

If you like isometric click-to-move dungeon crawlers this could definitely be a lot of fun. But right now after maybe an hour of actual questing you're dumped in a newbie town where you're basically on your own to gather and craft for the next two levels of equipment before you can actually start playing the game.

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 pm

I try not to put money into free to play mobile nonsense most of the time, but you guys, puzzle fighter for phones just got servbot and i am only one man

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 pm

correction: you are now only one miss tron
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Horizon: Zero Dawn is really good. I was not expecting to end up putting nearly 66 hours into the thing and get every trophy, but here we are. It's got some issues endemic to most open-world games (sidequests are largely a snooze) and some other big problems (yeah cool more appropriating from indigenous people awesome) but fuck if the moment to moment gameplay isn't goddamn great, and the story is actually a Neat Sci Fi Apocalypse Tale grafted onto Post Post Apocalyptic Warring Nations shit in a way that works pretty well. The DLC package slots pretty neatly into the story and progression too, though the weapons you can get from it will pretty much break everything else in the game (I breezed through Ultra Hard New Game+ never using anything but the upgraded version of the standard bow from the DLC). New Game+ is super nice, as there are two big upgrades you can get .. after the penultimate mission, making them largely worthless in your first go if you've already done all of the side content before finishing the game (which I did).

It's one of those games that curves really, really fucking well. The first time you run into a giant robot T-Rex, you will probably spend five to ten minutes trying to take the fucker down. By the time you're finally forced to fight one through the side quests or main story, you'll probably be able to pick it apart with precision shots in under sixty seconds without taking any damage. It's a good balance between leveling up and getting better equipment and just plain getting better at understanding efficiency with your shots and how to avoid the various machine attacks coming your way.

I would've liked to have seen a few more situations like the final hunting ground challenge in the DLC, which limits you severely in which equipment you can use, but overall I feel pretty satisfied after exhausting just about everything I could from the game (outside of tracking down every tiny little text or audio file scattered around the entire world, which thanks, I'm good).

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:55 pm

I'm playing Bloodborne right now and I'd like to redo my Soulsborne hardest boss list

5. Fume Knight
4. Ornstein and Smough
3. Pontiff
2. Capra Demon
1. Bloodborne Loading Screen
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:58 pm

But seriously if you measure a boss's difficulty by how long you spent stuck grinding against them then my above list is entirely factually accurate
ImageImageImage

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:34 pm

I heard you say in FF you didn't have your ps4 connected to the internet? Updating the game significantly reduces the loading times.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Hahaha, Tanks Asia fucked up their Christmas event so bad the whole server's up in arms.

Basically there's a decorations grind for Christmas loot - they've done this for a couple years and it's normally a really good event. You can also buy loot boxes directly from the store which contain decorations if you just want to pay to complete the event instead of grinding the missions (they also come with a minimum baseline of in-game gold that's worth more than the loot box price, so they're actually a good deal and not the usual gambling loot box shit). Only our server's loot boxes don't actually contain any decorations if you buy them from the shop and some of them have even been literally empty. And they changed the website to put up a warning about it twenty minutes after the Christmas loot went live (and didn't even change ALL the pages). So we know it's intentional and not a bug.

The North American, EU, and Russian servers boxes all work as intended, only ours our are short (and cost the same).

This is extra hilarious because the loot boxes are even themed to decoration type so you can narrow it down if you need a certain type for event completion. But on our server the distinction is literally meaningless for the shop-bought boxes.

Gamers often talk shit about various game companies' practices being "against consumer law", but with this event at least in Australia, New Zealand and Japan, they really have broken the law, and no lawsuit would be required, just a compliant to the local consumer advocacy authority. It's a low bar, considering how sloppy and last minute this is - people have loads of screenshots, and in theory everyone who bought anything from the shop is owed a full refund.

I don't even think it's the local customer-facing regional admins we know who did this (they're actually a pair of pretty good guys and would normally warn us well in advance of a bait-and-switch this severe). I suspect it's a case of right-hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. It's been nearly a day and the only word from the company was one of those two regional admins saying "We know you're mad, we're working on compensation". I'm pretty sure those admins Christmases have just been completely ruined by someone else in their company so that's pretty shitty for them.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:50 pm

guys i really like playing puzzle fighter
(that's the top 25 ranking out of all players at the moment, i'm at like #22)