Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Niku

Re: Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Postby Niku » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:07 am

Notably, the 3DS version has a brilliant but "good luck ever getting to use it" street pass mode where you essentially have a Mario Bros single screen battle mode that you record a ghost for and then send out into the wild to fight other ghosts. If you happen to have your ghost flail in the air where the other guy made his ghost run, you win! Also, really cool 3D.

The Wii U version, in lieu of that, gets Miiverse integration so that on every room of the game you can see other people's comments and messages on that specific room for a Y Can't Metroid Crawl meets Dark Souls experience.

The Steam version gets Steam trading cards. :toot:

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:09 am

Shit, that streetpass sounds amazing. Even though 3d doesn't work for me I may have to buy a second copy just for that

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:24 pm

As a person who goes to PAXes, I guess I'm getting the 3DS version.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Games like this were made for handhelds. Definitely getting this garbage shovelware on the 3DS.

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:40 pm

I see what you did there.

Also.
Summer Sale'd XCOM.
Have had to savescumm a little so that my pet soldiers don't die when I get overconfident, but so far I've been able to get overconfident.
Obviously, "normal" is a bit too easy for me.

Kind of want to do the version with randomized talent lists...
But I feel like that feature will be better when each tier is populated by three options. Or at least, no tiers with only one option remain unfixed.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:25 pm

I think you need to beat the game once before unlocking the Second Wave options. That adds a lot of customizability.

Classic wrote:Obviously, "normal" is a bit too easy for me.

Classic wrote:Have had to savescumm a little so that my pet soldiers don't die when I get overconfident, but so far I've been able to get overconfident.

If you're savescumming, you're negating the difficulty curve.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

fanboymaster

Postby fanboymaster » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:55 pm

I might have to doubledip on Shovel Knight just to have it portable, I've actually been stopping short of how much I want to play because while it's really good it's also evidently not terribly long.

Classic

Postby Classic » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:19 am

I dicked around customizing a soldier a little...

Hmmm. There are 4 races...
and Race 1 has twice the faces of any other race...

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:36 am

That's facist.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:36 pm

Mario Kart 7 is probably technically a better game than Mario Kart DS, but it certainly doesn't feel as fun.

Meanwhile; Adventures in ArcheAge. I encounter a CtD on boot. It's a known error and the only known solution is "just slam the 'esc' key and it should skip past". Fortunately it's an issue with native resolutions and once you manually change it in game the crashes stop.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:38 pm

beatbandito wrote:Mario Kart 7 is probably technically a better game than Mario Kart DS, but it certainly doesn't feel as fun.

Yes! Well-put! Even on the airship stage, which may be my single favorite level in the series.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:18 pm

ArcheAge has boob physics.

I learned this when the pockmark-covered serf woman bowed feverishly when I harvested some mint from her and almost knocked herself out.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:47 pm

Dragon's Crown is kind of fun. It's another vanillaware game but this time it isn't ages long. I'm having fun playing with people but at 20 hours played I'm kind of wanting to take a break.

François

Postby François » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:16 pm

I wish I had realized that crucial parts of Figaro Castle don't make a lick of sense before spending a couple hours starting to replicate it in Minecraft. I knew I'd have to fudge the scale of the outside to fit the inside and for a while it looked like I could make it work, but the throne room and the hall leading up to it are definitely in a non-euclidean demiplane somewhere. I blame ExDeath.

It's a shame too, because other areas are surprisingly well put together. I still might just add a north wing, I guess.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Want to get back into Civ V after seeing a friend do some let's plays recently.

So it turns out the only relevant Civ V DLC I don't have is Brave New World, which really does seem to add a lot to the late game.

It's not on sale on Steam right now and I'm not seeing any other sales that offer a Steam key after a Google search, so just wondering if anyone has any clever ideas on this or not? Or if someone had a 4-pack with a spare (a long-shot, but I might as well ask). I'd probably be happy to shell out $15, but I can't really justify the $30 it costs right now. When it goes on sale (which is pretty frequently), it's for 75% off usually, so I can just wait if it comes to that.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:12 pm

Green Man had a 20% off coupon code yesterday but I'm not sure if it's still active or not. You're probably right to wait for a sale, though.

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Brave New World is fun indeed.

Beware when playing multiplayer in Civ 5 - there's a game-breaking bug with trading that lets anyone rob you blind if you propose a trade. Basically, if someone proposes a trade with you, you can modify the trade. Then accept it. It doesn't re-prompt them to accept. So you could, say, empty their treasury, and their resources, and take all but their capital city. My best friend and I are usually teamed up together, so we only use this to prank each other, but online players are generally dicks.

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:11 pm

That bug sounded really bad, but then I realized that anyone who plays Civ with strangers is already a mad man who deserves what's coming to them.

I also realized I need to actually play some Civ5. It's been a while.

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Best part of this bug? It's been around for almost a year. They've been "working on it" since last November.

However, there is a possible cool part to playing Civ 5 with strangers - apparently every so often Sid Meier actually hops on and plays random online games of Civ 5.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Thad wrote:Green Man had a 20% off coupon code yesterday but I'm not sure if it's still active or not. You're probably right to wait for a sale, though.

Looks like it's still up - but it's for the main game and not the BNW expansion.

EDIT: Oh wait, 20%? Okay that must be different. The main game is 75% off.