WildStar: Get Your Ass to Nexus

sei

Re: WildStar: Get Your apple to Nexus

Postby sei » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:40 pm

TA wrote:RPers up to RP antics is a great spectator sport.
This is an excellent point and I can not contest it.

However, a level 1 will inevitably be able to stroll into WS's equivalent Goldshire. That doesn't mean you need to invest your progression there.

It's a moot point, as the ship has sailed.

Blossom

Re: WildStar: Get Your Ass to Nexus

Postby Blossom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:22 pm

'ello, guvnah!

Just havin' a bite before me shift!

(i got a hat)

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:47 pm

A merry jig.

They're not Asura-tier but Chua can be pretty adorbs.

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:58 pm

Man, you have finally done the first thing that makes me appreciate all the love the Chua get. That's totes adorbs magoats.

If anybody wants to try this game out, I've got three 7-day guest passes (as should anyone who pre-ordered the game) that will let you play up to level 20. You can't join a guild or use mail or use chat channels other than local and party ones so it's pretty stripped down, but you CAN go through the first several zones and check out things like housing and crafting. Shoot me a PM here or on steam and I'll hook you up.

In my WildStar news of the day, I tried Spellslinger healing the first dungeon (Stormtalon's Lair) twice. First time I got pugged into an all-guild group for another server, and after two-shotting the first boss it became one of those "wipe, then nebulously wait ten minutes" situations on the second boss, so I raged out after the third wipe. It was basically impossible to tell if I was a shit healer, they were shit players, or both. Every trash pull felt like I had to manically twist around like a crazy person just to keep people healed up and not die myself.

Then I ran with four guild mates later and we didn't have a single wipe except for an accidentally huge trash pull. Turns out I'm awesome at everything.

Also in appreciation of my server roots, after slapping on the beta outfit and authenticator cyberpatch, I made sure to remove my mouse girl's pants.

sei

Postby sei » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:03 pm

so is half the server playing a chua that looks like gadget yet

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Only the Russians.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:49 pm

But Gadget did wear pants!

:[

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:41 am

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:03 am

Okay, that looks fun.

Cthulhu-chan

Postby Cthulhu-chan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:37 am

Pretty nice personality in that thar animation.

Too bad its in YAWC.

sei

Postby sei » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:57 pm

Cthulhu-chan wrote:Pretty nice personality in that thar animation.

Too bad its in YAWC.

Yet Another Western Cartoon?

Cthulhu-chan

Postby Cthulhu-chan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:02 pm

Yet Another WoW Clone.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:41 am

Which it decidedly is not.

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:45 am

I feel like at this point we've had accusations and defenses of WoW clonery back to EverQuest.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:06 pm

In most ways, WildStar feels more like a WoW sequel than clone. It tries to take the framework and advance it while retaining the familiar. Some of this is messy and not perfectly tuned; the "kill 10 boars" turning into "kill enough boars to reach 100%" with each boar taking 10% but an elite, harder boar maybe giving you 50% is a really smart way to change up the questing dynamic. Unfortunately once you get up to the 20-30 zone, the tuning seems to edge a little more toward the grinding. The dungeons feel like WoW dungeons in pacing between the trash and the bosses, but they're tuned like Cataclysm heroics from the very beginning, demanding knowledge and at least some skill to get through, and each boss feels like it could be a raid boss all its own if they tuned the numbers up to be more punishing and require more assholes to take them down. And sometimes they turn into outright Touhou bullshit, like at 1:25 here, and it makes me really want to see their actual raid bosses.

The game's got problems out the ass; giving you an alternate skill layout at 15 is brilliant until you realize there's no gear set swapper and you have to manually change all your gear every time you swap. The UI is buggy and it's almost mandatory to go delving into AddOns to tweak things to be workable, much less pleasant. The aforementioned lean toward grindyness. But the sheer character of it and the gorgeous design and art is a strong "next-gen WoW" vibe that gives it a solid foundation to fix all the crap around. The player housing is brilliant. And it's basically impossible to overstate how much the telegraph combat impacts and improves the game. Healing on my Spellslinger is an incredibly goddamn good time, entirely because I'm trying to snipe the tank with a Healing Torrent from across the room while dodging through Blade Lord's tornado hall at the same time.

It'll probably be an even better game in a patch or three when they get the basic bugginess of launch hammered out (or well, if they get it hammered out), but the foundation is rock solid even if the stuff on top can be kinda shaky.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:10 pm

So does anyone else have an impossibly hard time enjoying the game without some kind of mouselock addon?

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:58 pm

I've got one, but it varies a lot which way I want to use it. Sometimes it's just easier to hold down the right mouse to turn.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:22 pm

A lot of people swear by Steer, but I honestly have never had any desire or need to look into those things. I don't really get the sentiment, despite seeing it a lot.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:59 pm

Wonder how long it'll be before they build that shit into the game or ban it (read: break the API) for conferring a gameplay advantage.

The irony is that if they build something like it in, it'll reduce the game to WoW's style targeting, presumably trashing balance (making powerful abilities balanced around skill too easy to use) or trashing their vision for the action- or FPS-component to how the game is played.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Steer is good to have for automatic combat cursor tracking but in borderless window will fly right off the screen and leave you helpless. I just started checking that out though, and had previously been quite happy with deadlock extended. However there's much less customization as to how it controls as it's really just a mouselock on/off switch.

Unrelated to controls, there's nothing like finishing an explorer quest as you fall off a waterfall, hitting the bottom and dying right as you path level and gain safefall.