Final fucking fantasy 22 3/4

Thad

Re: Final fucking fantasy 22 3/4

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:21 am

Thad wrote:As a case in point: he's the guy who convinced my family and the faculty that I should skip a grade, but then he lied to my face about who the honors eighth-grade English teacher was so I wouldn't end up in his class again.

I should add that I'm pretty certain he wasn't avoiding me specifically, he just didn't want to deal with my grandparents pushing back on his bullshit for another year.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:32 am

I got skipped up a grade a few times and there's nothing better for instilling a prison mentality in a kid like standing them in front of a cohort that has had a few weeks to get established with each other and being like "This is Sharkey, he's smarter than you." And I insisted if I was going to call a teacher Mr. Whatever they were goddamn well going to call me Mr. Sharkey, and until then I would use their first name. Or nicknames if they kept at it.

We moved around a lot, sometimes back to the same place so I at least had the cool kid thing that made me popular with girls, but the popular boys hated that shit and I learned pretty quick to pick a kid to go Ender on the second that started.

Ended up being held up a grade (still ahead) for "socialization" reasons, which meant I made friends with the neurodivergent queerdos in the same boat and we took to carrying wrenches and screwdrivers to school and slowly dismantled the entire fucking place. At one point took to plugging an old phone into the outside jack of the principal's office and left it off the hook while it racked up bills for prerecorded sex lines. I failed every goddamn class that year but they graduated me anyway just to be rid of me. It was just a constant cycle of antagonism and corrective violence that absolutely prepared me for the world.

At that point I'd endured a year of high school and you could still just take a GED at like fifteen in those days so I said fuck it and bounced to state university.

Edit: Not immediately. I spent a year living in a dorm above a restaurant in a ski resort town where I learned how to run a kitchen, tend bar, do cocaine, and get get sexually assaulted by waitresses twice my age. Mixed experience but it was better than living with my dad.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:59 am

Anyway I found the best damn minion in the game but Bloodstorm is boring my shit right out so far. Kind of fell off the main plot and am leveling Punch Man and doing all the fiddling little quests I ignored earlier.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:55 am

Okay nevermind there are underwater ninja turtles this is fine

François

Postby François » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:54 am

Stormblood goes to worthwhile places eventually, as you've started finding out. But yeah, half of it is very slow and/or very brown, and the slowest, brownest parts have the ill fortune of immediately following Heavensward's ending.

When it does climb itself out of that pit, though...

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:18 pm

Sharkey wrote:I got skipped up a grade a few times and there's nothing better for instilling a prison mentality in a kid like standing them in front of a cohort that has had a few weeks to get established with each other and being like "This is Sharkey, he's smarter than you."

One of the insightful things my grandparents told me was "Don't tell people you skipped a grade." I think that helped. Some of my eighth-grade classmates knew, of course -- if I'd been in class with a guy's younger brother the year before, for example -- but moving up at the start of the school year and not calling attention to it were good strategies.

I got along pretty well with most of the kids in eighth grade. I think a fresh start was really what I needed (and I certainly did a lot better in high school, after moving back to Tempe). I think part of it was getting away from the kids who'd already formed opinions about me over the course of the previous four years or so, but to be fair to them, they were also a lot friendlier to me in that last year (I still had some classes with them, band and drama and shit). So I think part of it was just people starting to mature a bit and not be so shitty to each other. Or at least reevaluate that prison mentality and realize it was us-versus-them, not us-versus-us.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:45 pm

I am an absolute fucking child.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:02 pm

Thad wrote:Always a pleasant surprise when I fire up a podcast and the guest is Steve Tramer. I've known that guy since Mr. Leware's sixth-grade English class. (He used to post on Pyoko as Stiv, for those of you who've been around that long.) It's a trip hearing him talk about old Final Fantasy games because odds are pretty good we played them together 25 years or so ago.

Retronauts episode 537 features him, Nadia Oxford, and Andrew Vestal talking about Final Fantasy ROM hacks and it's pretty great. The free version isn't up yet but I'll try to remember to link to it when it is.

Retronauts Episode 537: Final Fantasy ROM hacks

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:21 pm

Sharkey wrote:Image

I am an absolute fucking child.

I don't know what your performance has been like. But I did miserably in my first two chocobo npc races. Then I figured out if you basically constantly use sprints you'll have just enough stamina for the track, and took first in 4 player races before never playing again because I got the achievement I needed.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:53 pm

I hate when I use too much stamina early and Burst Myanus
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:12 am

Kishi pointed this out in Discord and once I had this information... you know I had to do it to 'em

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:54 pm

I tried Final Fantasy C2, a hack for Final Fantasy 4 that kinda-sorta recreates Final Fantasy 2 using 4's assets and engine.

It uses a standard leveling/growth system and sands down a lot of 2's rough edges, but in my brief time with it I found it's still grindy AF and carries over 2's habit of gating with stronger monsters -- ie letting you know where you're not supposed to go yet through the use of invisible lines where, if you cross them, you will get curb-stomped in the next random encounter.

So it turns out FF2 still sucks even when it's FF4. I really like this hack on a conceptual level, but in practice I really don't see me spending any more time with it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:21 pm

A few years back I was asking for suggestions on something I could kill a few minutes playing without thinking too hard and Brent recommended Theatrhythm.

I picked up the Switch version on sale recently, and it is an excellent game for playing in three-minute bursts while wondering when the baby is going to wake up.

I think I like the structure of the 3DS version better -- songs all mixed up instead of sorted by game -- but this is fine.

Difficulty and rankings suffer from serious inflation. The difficulty levels are Basic, Expert, Ultimate, and another one I don't remember so I'm just going to call it Even More Ultimate, which is some "our pizzas come in medium, large, and extra-large" shit. Rankings go up to SSS, your timing can go past Critical to Rainbow Critical; I don't know whether to go with a Spinal Tap joke or that time Homer was a food critic and threatened Marge with his lowest score ever, seven thumbs up.

There's a bunch of RPG shit in there that really doesn't need to be bolted on to a game where you hit buttons in time to music but maybe I'll bother figuring it out once I've finished all the songs.

(Some of the characters are exactly as they should be -- Kefka's first two skills are Fire and Poison; perfect -- but some are baffling -- Terra learns Ice first? WTF?)

For all that this is an exercise in nostalgia-baiting, I'm actually pretty impressed with the soundtracks for games I haven't played (or haven't played enough to remember their soundtracks, at least). I've never played an FF13 game, but apparently FF13-2 has a great fucking soundtrack? Even if whoever set up those levels doesn't know what swinging is and decided the button prompts should not match up with the fucking beat.

Which brings us to DLC, which of course is where the get you. I dunno, I might buy some. Does the DLC ever go on sale or is it one of those things where they offer you a discount on the base game but then DLC is going to stay this price forever?

And again my instinct is to go with the stuff I already know and like but then again I'm finding myself pleasantly surprised by the soundtracks I'm not familiar with.

I dunno. I figure I'll at least get through all the songs in the base game before I start looking for more.

Postby Newbie » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:54 am

Today, I finally finished Endwalker, second credits sequence included. Shadowbringers may exceed it for hard-hitting emotional moments—I cannot handle the scene in which you bring Ardbert's crystal to Seto without sobbing—but overall, Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker is my "most satisfying" storyline in the franchise. Who knew I had so much unrealized nostalgia for FFIV? I certainly didn't: I never got more than 3/4ths of the way through that game. Nevertheless, the use of FFIV's musical and narrative themes, coupled with the reinvention of a dissatisfying villain into something exceptional as well as the resolution of storylines we've been following since the very beginning of A Realm Reborn made Endwalker my favorite expansion so far. From MSQ to the patch content to Pandaemonium and the Myths of the Realm, I've been completely satisfied with what we got. Haven't unlocked the Hildibrand stuff yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I've lost count of how many streamer vods I've watched of the last 30% of this expansion; I'm certainly not done yet.
tiny text

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:31 am

god, i'm 30-something hours in and rebirth is just like aggressively fucking stupid in ways that i absolutely love. it not only captures a lot of the weirdest elements of the original game, but it quadruples down on most of them and adds so many other bizarre fucking quirks in a way that feels so refreshing compared to a lot of other grim triple-A titles which might be like, "hey we've written some clever or funny jokes" here and there to lighten the mood, but wouldn't go "what if we just dropped God Hand-esque bartertown into the middle of Final Fantasy" and add a weapon shop owner who is so angry about the constant noise that if you knock over any boxes while walking into his shop he'll refuse to deal with you.

this game has problems with bloat (no, really?) and everything being maximalist all the time and barely even contrives reasons for the entire extended cast they added to Remake to also show up post-Midgar as you travel the world, but on the other hand they seem to be implying that the obligatory final fantasy card game is haunted by a psychic vampire which SURE, WHY NOT have that follow up the gold-painted living statue performer who i just beat at said card game.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:39 am

a minor spoiler for chapter 10 (which is cosmo canyon) feels like possibly the most maddeningly fucking insane choice they possibly could have made: when they do the reveal that red xii is in his late forties, but because lol dog years he's basically a teenager, the voice acting changes from the gruff wise old hound voice he has had since the end of remake to sounding like fucking sora from kingdom hearts. i have lost my mind over this. why. it's so goddamn jarring. like in game he basically explains "i didn't want y'all to think of me like a puppy" but i am wondering if there was some dialect/vocal change in the original game's japanese script that didn't get translated over here that lead to this decision or if it's something they just decided to do for the remake. he also gains about 300% more frequent combat barks when this happens just to rub it all in.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:41 am

So I finished FF7 Rebirth a few days ago and I've been sort of spinning it in my head since then. I'm probably going to start up hard mode and start going for the platinum and all that next week, but after a 91 hour sprint from start to credits with doing almost all of the side content along the way that is available before postgame content, I wanted to take a breather from it.

I still think FF7 Remake and FF7 Rebirth have some of my favorite combat systems in an action RPG I've ever played. It's the absolute ideal version of what Kingdom Hearts was trying to do. Juggling three characters who all have distinct mechanics and feels, with unique abilities and timing and movement, on top of the customization of the materia system is like a too-many-cooks stew that somehow ends up really, really working for me. If I have a major complaint it's that there is so much STUFF going on in a lot of fights that trying to engage with the dodging, blocking, and parrying mechanics can be difficult, and the best fights that expect you to use those extensively are also the ones that take some WoW raid boss design into consideration with telegraphing the attacks visually or through incoming animations.

The summon fight to get Odin is a good example / test of this, since his entire gimmick is that if you get hit by him too much without doing enough damage in return, he essentially just decides you're not worth his time and party wipes you with a single attack. So he forces you to learn the timing on parrying or avoiding his attacks much more stringently than like, some random grasslands wolf enemy.

Anyway gameplay good. It gets pretty button mashy and "Get on with it" by the end, but after almost four fucking days of gameplay anything will.

now in a paragraph or two i'm gonna spoil the story of a game from 1997 that in 2021 said "we're gonna tell a new story". because yes, there is only one question that drives the entire story of FF7 Rebirth: is Aerith going to die again? The actual moment to moment plot of FF7 Rebirth is only two things, one from the original game, one sort of new. One: You are following the former SOLDIER subjects (the black robes) who are on a global pilgrimage. That's it. That's the tweet. Follow That Robe. And two: Shinra is now also following the black robes, but also in active pursuit of the escaped fugitives which means remixing and intensifying the encounters with Shinra and the Turks throughout this portion of the game and making them more active players in the story. This stuff is generally pretty good! But overall this entire section of the game is the meandering, hangout, coffee shop AU portion of FF7; I recommend ignoring any impulse you might have to "get on" with the plot and actually engage with the sidequests and the little character stories, because they are the heart of the game. Every full sidequest (the ones that are actually labeled quests, not the open world checklist stuff that litters this game) will have a party member who engages with it and you'll usually get a little more depth around them while also helping the Problem Of The Week NPC.

This game does a lot that I really, really like with Barrett. He gets a big fuckin' glow-up. Lot of stuff about his anxiety about being a parent, about the people he left behind, a genuinely moving subplot about his AVALANCHE crew that comes in during a particular sidequest series in the back third of the game. It's good stuff. Do his side quests if nothing else.

but okay. they said this game ends at disc one. you know where this game ends if you played ff7. it ends at The Scene. it ends at the City of the Ancients. the last 20% of the game, man, you will not stop hearing about how good and determined and cool aerith is and how much we all love aerith after spending the last 50% of the game postulating about whether or not the future is determined or if fate is real!!

so.

DOES. AERITH. DIE????

lol fuck you for caring. you want a yes or no answer? how about YNOES. fuck off multiverse means we don't gotta answer shit. congratulations you saved her from dying, but also simultaneously experienced her dying exactly how she did in the original, but also even though you saved her for some reason she still died, but also now she's a fucking force ghost who only cloud can see, and we don't even get the scene of her body being laid to rest because THAT would kill the bullshit ambiguity we are presenting right now, even though everyone is grieving, except cloud who is talking to her perky multiverse ghost, except fuck you lol, maybe we will have some ideas for the third game???

You made this entire game hinging around a single metatextual question and you did not answer it. Fuck all the way off. You suggested there would be potentially interesting narrative divergences with the wild swing at the end of Remake, teeing up this exactly expectation, and you threw up a giant middle finger. There is almost no way they could have made a more unsatisfactory conclusion to this exact setup than what ended up on screen. And it is so. Goddamn. Frustrating when they did so much fucking work to actually make me interested in and CARE about this iteration of the story and the characters. I think Aerith is supremely cool and likable in the Remake series so far so you know what?

When Cloud swings and knocks Masamune away before it can connect with Aerith, I fuckin' marked out. I was mostly curious up until the exact moment of "are they gonna do the thing?" but when it felt like they decided to commit and just this once Rose, everybody lives. You did it. You fucking saved Aerith from the inevitable, it felt fucking COOL.

And they immediately undercut it with the absolute wet fart of the screen doing a glitchy VHS hallucination effect again and you see Schroedinger's Spoiler get skewered all over again, followed up by cross cutting back and forth to reveal that you didn't even SAVE her in Remakeiverse for ... some fucking unclear reason that she is dying anyway??? And then you get thrown into an admittedly very fucking cool, in both conception and execution, final boss fight that nonetheless begs the question of what the christ are we doing at the end of FF7 Reunion if you keep giving me these giant Sephiroth fights at the end of Remake and Rebirth. (To wit, you still fight Jenova with Aerith's theme playing, but this is a multi-stage boss fight to end all multi-stage boss fights and soon enough we're getting big remixes of J-E-N-O-V-A and One Winged Angel and all that and sadly maybe the worst crime Rebirth understandably commits is that J-E-N-O-V-A is a much worst remix than the one from Remake which slaps so fucking hard.) I also think it is Very Cool conceptually, as you are switching between various party configurations to fight Sephiroth, that this Sephiroth is Kang the Conqueror and straddling multiple timelines and universes simultaneously and so when you're switching between party members in different settings and realities, you're still all fighting the same basic entity because he is present in all of them at once. Also that sounds cooler than it is because it's really just "all your existing party members and also Zack" but it's still cool.

oh and also FUCK YOU if you played ff7 and you stripped off all of Aerith's materia and equipment before the inevitable final boss fight since she isn't in your party and might be dead, because after a literally like FORTY FIVE MINUTE fucking GAUNTLET against various Jenova mutations and Sephiroth Angeling the fuck out, the final Sephiroth fight is only Cloud and Aerith and now she has no materia and equipment lololololol good luck, god, fuck this fucking final hour of the game so hard why do you have to Be Like This.

Okay those are the big spoilers. Here are some minor ones that I just think are cool and worth mentioning for people who are curious about how it adapts FF7 in general:

The Gi in Cosmo Canyon get a very cool glow-up too, and are much more integrated into the total story in a very interesting way that recontextualizes and informs a bit more about the Cetra. Really liked this detour.

The Temple of the Ancients does some very neat things conceptually and has more interesting stuff involving all of the characters despite having the second to worst mechanical moment in the game.

because see there are parts throughout the game where a new character becomes party leader other than cloud, and there is always a Gimmick, some of which is just like in Remake or Intergrade where Barrett or Yuffie can shoot stuff or knock down boxes with a shuriken and it's fine, but the temple of the ancients one is SO FUCKING SLOW AND TEDIOUS. and it would be the worst in the entire game if it weren't for The Cait Sith Situation which i will leave for anyone and everyone to discover for themselves because it's impossible to actually describe just how bad The Cait Sith Situation is despite Cait Sith being otherwise ridiculously charming and having interesting mechanics in this game.

Vincent and Cid are here but are not playable. Vincent is fucking hilarious. He's like the Spider-man Noir of this game. Or the Frank Drebin. Nobody takes him seriously except himself, least of all the game. Cid doesn't beat any women and thus is just charming as heck. Maybe they're saving that (and Rocket Town itself) for Reunion.

They add a literal, honest to god fully sung and choreographed Opera Scene to FF7 for absolutely no reason except to make me wish we could get this lavish mechanical and graphical update to FF6. This is distinct from but related to the goofy Gold Saucer play from the original.

If you do only one sidequest for some reason, make it the one about the chickens in Gongaga.

this game is SUPREMELY, HILARIOUSLY bad about shoehorning in every single new character they added in Remake to also have some reason to be in this part of the plot. hope you like kyrie and madame m and ?? leslie?? was that his name i guess??

Don Corneo returns and it is extremely funny that he has raised his own breed of Cactuars that have his shitty little moustache. It is even funnier that he has recruited Donberrys.

In general, this game is very fucking funny on purpose in a way that I wish more games were.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:46 am

Did the Gi in the Gi Cave actually come with any archers with petrifying attacks or did they pincushion Red's dad with all of those in the backstory like the first game

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:50 am

The Gi archers will turn you to stone if you get hit by them too much, yes! The Remake series is actually really good about little details like this.