Game hacks

nosimpleway

Re: Game hacks

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:57 am

Oh, that looks neat, it might be interesting to pick it up and see how things work out with everything flipped arou--

*bomb jumps required to exit Torizo room*

ha ha ha never fucking mind

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:41 pm

I still think Super Mario 3mix is fantastic, but I managed to stumble across a bug that caused it to lock up and erase my save sooooo I think I may be done with it.

(For future reference, in case anyone else plays it, or I remember to warn the dev about it later: near as I can tell, the spot on the map that's the equivalent of World 2-2 is still mapped as enter-able. I accidentally hit A on it, the screen did the starting-level animation/sound effect, and then it locked up and erased my save.)

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Really pretty looking romhack for Simon's quest WIP

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:08 am

The latest rabbit hole I have stumbled down is the MSU-1, a chip that allows the SNES to play PCM audio. (Virtual only, AFAIK; I don't think anybody's actually manufactured one. But some emulators support it, and so does the SD2SNES.)

I intend to write more when I can type comfortably again. But I'm definitely impressed by the technology even if I tend to prefer the original chiptunes.

I mean, it's cool that you can play Mega Man X3 with the PS1/Saturn version of the soundtrack, but the PS1/Saturn version of the soundtrack is a fucking abomination in the sight of God.

Chiptune version: Sense of urgency and intensity.

CD version: Excuse me, could you hit the button for the fourth floor please? Thanks.

Spram

Postby Spram » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:26 pm

Thad wrote: the PS1/Saturn version of the soundtrack is a fucking abomination in the sight of God.

You mean, ears.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Yes. The PS1/Saturn version of the soundtrack is a fucking abomination in the sight of ears.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:36 pm

The Un-Worked Designs patches remove the gameplay tweaks from Working Designs' localizations, mostly making them easier.

Of the games on the list, I've only played the first Lunar; I noped out on Lunar 2 about five minutes in on realizing that you have to choose between leveling up your magic and saving your fucking game. That's an example of one of the WD gameplay tweaks that these patches remove.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:30 am

From the thread:
Yes, Working Designs jacked up the difficulty on Lunar to arguably unplayably frustrating levels for no readily apparent reason.

I would...definitely argue with that.

I saw a Game Over screen exactly twice in Lunar. And once was at the very end of the game (post-last boss); I didn't realize I needed to use the harp on the item menu, got killed by lightning, and respawned right before where I died.

Can't speak to the other games, except for the aforementioned agreement that yeah, making you spend magic exp to save in Lunar 2 is bullshit.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 am

zelda lttp randomizer has an online version http://vt.alttp.run

resident evil randomizer on the works http://benn-gaming.co.uk/rerandomizer.html

scripts to make games two-player and share items between them https://mcclure.github.io/emu-coop/

Spram

Postby Spram » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:04 am

zaratustra wrote:zelda lttp randomizer has an online version http://vt.alttp.run

What a coincidence. 3 days ago I found a mod for Final Fantasy 2 (4) called "Free Enterprise". It's a Final Fantasy 2 randomizer.

http://ff4-free-enterprise.com/

It removes the story in favor of giving you an airship at the very beginning. You get 2 random characters and then go around dicking and getting random items until you can get to Zeromus. It's really well done, much better than The After Years haha.

You can also set how randomized the rom will get on their website. It's really neat.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:55 am

R^2 LPed an FF4 randomizer, but that doesn't sound like the same one you're talking about; he got to choose his party in that one.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:19 pm

Yeah it's a different one.

I'll give Free Enterprise a spin sometime but don't hold your breath

Spram

Postby Spram » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:24 pm

Like an idiot, I've been screwing around with "hacking" FF6 all day today.

First, I made it so Espers dont teach any magic or give any bonuses. Why? Because I don't want any leveling. I want my characters to start with the same stats they will stick with for the rest of the game. But that's not how FF6 works, that would be too easy. I have no idea how to make it so HP, MP end up constant. Enemies will not give EXP. You learn magic from armor, weapons and relics.

Graphically, I changed Strago into a black mage (just like every other FF6 hack). Made Edgar a White Mage and wanted to make the tools be healing tools, but I can't do that either. (imagine the autocrossbow shooting healing syringes at your party) The FF6 rom is a mess. I think it's because Square had to do some programming magic to fit the game into a cartridge and bungled up everything.

I also changed almost every enemy graphic... this took so long. But now, if I can't make the HP and MP constant.. I don't want to do anything. I wasted so much time... anyone know how to make HP and MP constant?

Maybe I should give up since once you jump over one hurdle, it's another and in the end it's still going to be FF6. Maybe I should make my own RPG. RPG maker's Final Fantasy style battles seem poopy, vecna never finished Verge's battle system. I also should finish working on the project I'm already doing.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I'm going to upload the rom with ZSNES savestates, wait a minute pls

EDIT: Here it is: http://guio.us/spram/FF6_Spram_Hacky.rar Try it at your own risk. the entire rom is like a house of cards, of shit cards.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 am

Could you start all characters at L99 and scale their stats down?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:20 am

If enemies don't give EXP, how are people getting HP/MP growth anyway?

Spram

Postby Spram » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:29 pm

mharr wrote:Could you start all characters at L99 and scale their stats down?

All the editors I've used don't have a way to change the starting level or starting HP or MP.

If enemies don't give EXP, how are people getting HP/MP growth anyway?

No growth. Well, armors and other items.

Forget it, I gave up. It's not worth it. I hacked the rom so much it's crashing all the time. It's a lost cause. Wasted time. :cry:

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:01 pm

it's a learning experience!

if you want to make a rpg i recommend rpg maker it's pretty powerful these days

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Yeah, keep the notes, rip the maps & sprites, get some sleep, and remix them in an engine that won't fight you every step of the way. FFVI_Explore for the Steam version is pretty useful for step two. http://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ff6a:utils

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sat May 19, 2018 5:37 pm

https://alttsm.speedga.me

sadly both randomizers have pretty hardcore options set but hey you might get space jump early

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat May 04, 2019 11:15 pm

Boy, the colors on Super Mario Land 2 DX really pop.

(even if that Koopa's shell should be red.)