Game hacks

Thad

Re: Game hacks

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:10 pm

Yeah, I keep meaning to get back to it. I stopped right before the Floating Continent.

There's apparently a 3.x version now that changes up the costume system (which I haven't gotten to anyway), but it's incompatible with 2.x saves and I don't intend to start over.

I gather there's a lot more new stuff in the WoR than the WoB.

I also keep meaning to finish up that FF7 fan translation. I eventually got it working under Linux, so I don't have to fuck around with running it from one of the Windows laptops I keep around for the occasional Windows thing I have to do.

So obviously instead of either of those things I've started replaying FF10.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:02 pm

I sure hope there's more in the WoR. I'm up to the Dadaluma fight and apart from engine retweaks (like how Gau learns Rages without being on the Veldt) the only new stuff I can think of is that toad-only cave that gives you your first Ribbonlike and the first Hermes Shoes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:54 pm

I think the first set of optional Esper fights opens up after Zozo. But maybe it's not until after the Magitek Research Facility.

But yeah, as far as new areas in the WoB, I think that extra room in the Returners' Cave might be it.

I guess that makes a certain amount of sense; if you're adding new areas to the WoB then you have to deal with the logistics of whether/how to make them accessible in the WoR. (There's an optional boss in the Cave to the Sealed Gate, so I guess it's changed so you can still get to it in the WoR.)

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:11 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Was screenshotting and documenting a playthrough of this. Got as far as Terra's wake-up before realizing it was just the GBA script and to the Returner's Hideout before I realized Thad already did it.

What about this sidequest stuff? Sounds pretty interesting.

- Retains the original story, but adds a LOT of new content *around* the main story, including side quests, locations, dungeons, super-bosses, unlockable character costumes (each with stat changes), a music player, and more

- Celebrates the Final Fantasy series in countless ways, including hundreds of pieces of music from other games in the series

- Updates the game's mechanics with bug fixes, difficulty modifications, new spells, new attacks, new items, and a whole lot more

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:33 pm

Patch to make the Saturn version of Symphony of the Night not suck:

This is the most complete and advanced version of the game with many quality changes compared to the original.

Basic changes to the «Ultimate» version of the game:
- Fully translation into English;
-Restoration of translucency of many objects;
-Direct access to the global map;
-Finalization of the global map;
-Restoration of the original proportions of some sprites;
-Removing horizontal black bars of the screen;
-Skipping videos and dialogues;
-Access to Richter's alternate costume;
-Reduced loading time;
-Support for 4MB expansion card;
-Bug fixes;
-Hard Mode;
Patch (v1.0):
https://mega.nz/file/shMihIyb#o-2S_b2822NIsX8NY8EC48U71p9NVG8nGdkGoJErgAE
=========================================================

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:03 pm

Do the Secret Boots discreetly increase height by adding a single pixel of width to the soles of Alcuard's feet as in the PSX version, or do they stretch the sprite by like 105% like Saturn originally did