FINAL FANTASY ONLINE 2-2 Not shit edition

Z%rø

FINAL FANTASY ONLINE 2-2 Not shit edition

Postby Z%rø » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:44 pm

There's a new set of game crossover fates today: FFXI and Dragon quest. They're both short, one fate deals but the rewards and actual quest cinematics are great.

ImageImage

sei

Re: FINAL FANTASY ONLINE 2-2 Not coconut edition

Postby sei » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:12 pm

I dislike the culture in this game.

• The freedom to pug is kind of nice, but not having a raiding guild with a full (w/ change) consistent, primary roster is total shit.
    The absence of widespread meter usage without having to treat parsers like fucking Fight Club encourages lazy, trash-tier DPS, which in turn breeds complacent tanks. Said tanks aren't used to having to play well and and keep aggro off of players who aren't sitting there, wasting GCDs, and this in turn means the DPS start intentionally wasting GCDs, waiting for the shitty tanks to catch up. Vicious cycle.
  • I run into a lot of ex-FFXI players. They seem more friendly, social, and tolerant (esp. of bad design) than WoW players on average. Good for them. However, the spirit of competition is seemingly lost on them, by comparison. See meter note above. Not my people. I'm sure FFXI had parsers, but maybe they were even more hush-hush than {Wind} {onwer}. This is probably just leftover cognitive bias from me playing WoW with more raiders than pugs. Regardless, I still feel out of my element.
  • The free company vs linkshell thing is still taking some time to get used to. In practice, I must begrudgingly admit it's a better organizational system than what WoW had (guilds only) since it's simple enough and has a rich enough UI that everybody uses it. In theory, WoW's chat system is superior, but its discoverability was low and it didn't have the UI support that FFXIV's linkshells do. It was all slash command based, and channel persistence was periodically flaky (sometimes, you'd reconnect and not have rejoined channels for some reason). MMO players have trouble breathing with their mic uncued, so a CLI interface to chat is generally beyond their grasp.

I'm probably being dumb and overlooking that the real issue is that the current experience in FFXIV reflects more of the LB Naxx 25 PUGs than my experience raiding with heroic progression guilds.

sei

Postby sei » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:15 pm

To FFXIV's credit: 8 man raiding >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 25 man raiding.

Only downside is less slots mean less opportunity to squeeze in useful classes like bard, as opposed to dragoon. Such is life.

Maybe I shouldn't have taken that piece of allagan aiming shit. Oh, well.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:45 pm

I never see any of you guys :(

Bal

Re: FINAL FANTASY ONLINE 2-2 Not shit edition

Postby Bal » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:51 am

We're online often, though we're at the point now where we mostly sign on for alt leveling, daily myth chores, and clear turns 1-4.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 am

I try to log in daily for daily Myth. Maybe level up Monk some? And late at night for coil. There's no class I want to play other than warrior, and due to lucky drops I have catapulted past the need of a lot of gear that I can purchase or farm for in any meaningful way.

My next progression step is Ex. Primals, which I am absolutely geared to tank. I'd just rather not pug it at all.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm online literally every day, but I get off work at about 9ish. I almost unlocked WHM and BLM, have unlocked PLD but for some strange reason the tank queue isn't instant.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:33 pm

sei wrote:Only downside is less slots mean less opportunity to squeeze in useful classes like bard, as opposed to dragoon. Such is life.

>:(

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:37 pm

I run into a lot of ex-FFXI players. They seem more friendly, social, and tolerant (esp. of bad design) than WoW players on average. Good for them. However, the spirit of competition is seemingly lost on them, by comparison. See meter note above. Not my people. I'm sure FFXI had parsers, but maybe they were even more hush-hush than {Wind} {onwer}. This is probably just leftover cognitive bias from me playing WoW with more raiders than pugs. Regardless, I still feel out of my element.

Yeah, 14 got a lot of casual players still loyal to the FF brand but thoroughly dead-ended by 11, even after all the (still ongoing) additions to make the game more casual-friendly. It's left 11 in the weird position of being populated by people who either want hardcore endgame content or were at least involved in that at some point and can thrive in it but hamstrung by the fact that there just aren't enough people left on the whole to make it happen.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:51 am

For organizational purposes:

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:34 am

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:37 am

Guide to Titan Ex's rotation.

This is probably my favorite fight.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:52 am

sei

Postby sei » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 am

So much for "not shit."

Bal and I unsubbed.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:13 pm

I get you guys are sick of the game, but complaining about a patch that has a bunch of amazing quality of life fixes seems silly just because there's no content in it. Though you are all right about there not being a lot of it currently, I guess I'm just more patient than I should be.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm bored of the game. My departure has nothing to do with the patch.

I mostly found the text and picture juxtaposed in my screenshot amusing, as there was no green X in the shot.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:30 pm

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:52 pm

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Jesus Fucking Christ

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:07 pm

The saddest part about the NSA spying reveals is that we can no longer make jokes about being put on a list after watching a youtube video.