FINAL FANTASY ONLINE 2-2 Not shit edition

Friday

Re: FINAL FANTASY ONLINE 2-2 Not shit edition

Postby Friday » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Well, I started a few different super cute girls with scars and tough haircuts and noticed that Balmung had a queue timer

Is it bad? like how bad does it get during primetime? I'd like to be on a server where in the likely event of my duo partner getting bored and quitting and I want to keep playing, I can play with you guys, but I hate queues.

also how can they have so many good races I can't chooooooooose and my normal "well I guess I'll just minmax my racials then" doesn't apply because like you said it's a literal 3 point difference out of 4000
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:36 pm

You choose whichever one you'd like to play Pretty Princess Dressup with.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:00 pm

Balmung's queue timer, even in extreme prime time, is short. Like, on patch day specifically, sometimes you can get a bit, but otherwise the queue really isn't much, even on big releases.

It's not a one-in-one-out system, it's just pacing how many people go in at once. The next big update happens on the 29th, I'd poke it then and see how bad the timer is and whether that seems unseemly to you.

If you are going to fool around on Balmung, send me a message? Either through the boards, or on Discord at Blossom#6245, I'll try to come say hi.

Büge wrote:You choose whichever one you'd like to play Pretty Princess Dressup with.

Yeah, mostly this. Viera and Hrothgar are limited in hat selection, as the cost of the unique heads, but otherwise it's wide open for dressup.

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:45 pm

I tried to roll on Balmung (because you can take the niku out of moon guard, but etc etc) but it wasn't accepting new characters at this time, so I made my first "real" character over on Faerie for now. I'm just playing with the free trial to start anyway so I can't join anything or do anything pretty much outside of levelling up to 35 as far as I know.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:27 am

Yeah, whether or not a server is accepting new characters varies by how many characters are currently logged in. You can check that here, at the time I'm writing this the only places where you can't make one are Behemoth and Excalibur - and those are officially Congested servers, you can never create there and you can't transfer there either.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 am

I play this in the same FC as Buge on Sargatanas!

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:24 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaa fuck goddamn it Tomorrow and Tomorrow, you destroy me every fucking time

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:26 pm

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 am

Well, so far up to WAR lvl 41, I'm enjoying myself a lot. Taking it slow, I'm not in any hurry.

There's a ton to do, I love The Slice is Right GATE even if I get fucking knocked out by the fucking dog cup every goddamn time ONE DAY I WILL BEAT YOU, 1/3 RNG CHANCE TO LOSE

Anyway game is exactly what I wanted, really, niggling issues I have with certain interface and UI elements aside. A lot of the features seem needlessly complicated, but overall I enjoy hitting things with my axe and tanking dungeons.

Random question, Paladins get shields with massive armor and block. What (if anything) do warriors/other tanks get to make up for this loss of passive damage reduction?
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:59 am

Warriors have a taunt rotation AND a different damage boost rotation, so hold on to your ass when you have an entire six buttons to press instead of three.

Though I think in the last update now the warrior and paladin both have just one rotation that does both

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Yeah they cut that shit out.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:47 pm

i found out i CAN run this game on my surface 3.

i cannot run it well enough to survive the slice is right for more than 10 seconds. but at least i can log on and get mama's scratch-offs and flip some cards.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:05 am

Friday wrote:Random question, Paladins get shields with massive armor and block. What (if anything) do warriors/other tanks get to make up for this loss of passive damage reduction?

Warriors have the highest DPS, highest base HP, and best damage immunity CD compared to other tanks. Which is to say compared to others, Holmgang has the shortest cooldown and is very reliable and its built in limitations are easily negated with how predictable boss mechanics are. It's also easier to play a warrior for sure, if not a bit boring outside of Inner Release.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:21 am

Funnily enough, I picked Warrior because I wanted to play a tank and a random class guide video I watched said Warrior was the more complex between the starting two tanks, Paladin and Warrior.

Oh well. Probably going to go DRK eventually anyway.
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:49 am

Some people have a harder time matching shapes, some colors.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:59 am

Friday wrote:Well, so far up to WAR lvl 41, I'm enjoying myself a lot. Taking it slow, I'm not in any hurry.

There's a ton to do, I love The Slice is Right GATE even if I get fucking knocked out by the fucking dog cup every goddamn time ONE DAY I WILL BEAT YOU, 1/3 RNG CHANCE TO LOSE

Anyway game is exactly what I wanted, really, niggling issues I have with certain interface and UI elements aside. A lot of the features seem needlessly complicated, but overall I enjoy hitting things with my axe and tanking dungeons.

Random question, Paladins get shields with massive armor and block. What (if anything) do warriors/other tanks get to make up for this loss of passive damage reduction?

Shields don't boost Defense stats, they just provide access to the Block mechanic. Which is valuable! In terms of active defense, Paladins have a defensive move that guarantees blocks for six seconds, as a short-term fast-recharge cooldown to stack with other defenses for incoming hits. They also have a move that defends the entire party, while increasing block chance to 100%, but since you can't attack while you're channeling that, it's of very situational use. Other tanks have similar quick cooldowns that don't interact with the Block mechanic - if you look at your Warrior's ability list, you should see Raw Intuition on there at level 56, and that's the analogue for it.

As passive defense, a 20-30% chance to block incoming abilities or autoattacks for 20-30% isn't that big of a deal. It's not nothing, mind, but it isn't gonna be changing the game dramatically. The other three tanks have some parity in the fact that their offensive combos all have HP restores built into them - Warriors get back health with Storm's Path, Dark Knights get back about the same health with their finisher, and Gunbreakers get back less health but also give themselves a small shield with their second attack. Neither of these is gonna be a big thing, though.

Defenestration wrote:
Friday wrote:Random question, Paladins get shields with massive armor and block. What (if anything) do warriors/other tanks get to make up for this loss of passive damage reduction?

Warriors have the highest DPS, highest base HP, and best damage immunity CD compared to other tanks. Which is to say compared to others, Holmgang has the shortest cooldown and is very reliable and its built in limitations are easily negated with how predictable boss mechanics are. It's also easier to play a warrior for sure, if not a bit boring outside of Inner Release.

Yeah all of these things are not true anymore. But it's still a fine tank - all the tanks are GOOD, there are no trap options in this game, and you are encouraged to pick up something else if you just don't particularly click with a job.

A lot of Warrior's complexity comes from having things up at the right times, keeping cooldowns rolling, and a resource management thing that you won't have been seeing much of by level 41. But, you've got Inner Beast and a Beast Gauge to track, right? The big thing is that your gap-closer comes up faster than any other tank's, and you have a hard-hitting off-GCD attack on a 30 second cycle, but both of those cost 20 points off the gauge to use. So if you need to use your gap-closer, you need to have 20 points to do it with, and you need to make sure you have 20 points ready to use that off-GCD ability so it doesn't end up drifting. Other tanks are more complex to do really well with, but none of them really have the complexity in pure ability interaction.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:24 am

Ah, OK, cool. Thanks for the info. I'm quickly approaching ARR level cap (man, the daily dungeon really gives you a ton of exp) so I'll probably be dropping the 40 bucks to get all the expansions. Warrior has clicked with me pretty hard, but I will be going DRK too at some point.

Finally beat Yojimbo last night, and man it felt good.
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:21 pm

I'm having a wedding at 6PM EST today, so if anyone wants an invitation, let me know!

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:28 am

My static is closing in on the E4S clear, we're finally starting to get the floor mechanic for the final phase.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:28 pm

Merry-go-rounds are, thankfully, probably the easiest part of that. The heal checks between then are rough, but if you're making it through first phase and the uplifts consistently, it's mostly downhill.