FINAL FANTASY ONLINE 2-2 Not shit edition

McDohl

Re: FINAL FANTASY ONLINE 2-2 Not shit edition

Postby McDohl » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:55 pm

Just got our clear tonight! I'm so excited!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/519450905

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:02 am

Damn you all I don't have the time or budget for another one of these. Stop being the strongest review ever.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:38 am

ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:49 pm

I really didn't need to know Ultros was in this, I've sacrificed enough mortal essence to these mills already.

In vengeance, here is a fanart remake of the FF6 intro by an industry veteran. This game will never exist. Mwahaha.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:04 pm

mharr wrote:I really didn't need to know Ultros was in this, I've sacrificed enough mortal essence to these mills already.

Oh yes. He costars in a comedy quest line that runs through the game.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:06 am

mharr wrote:This game will never exist. Mwahaha.

It's at least crossed their minds.

Square Wants to Know: Do Gamers Want a Modern Turn-Based Final Fantasy?

Kitase paused for a moment and looked at me. "Now, I have a question," he said. "I'd like to know, would you want to see a turn-based command style return?

"Here's a hypothetical question -- and this is just hypothetical, so don't read too much into this -- what if we were to take a game like, say, Final Fantasy VI that does have the ATB system but is basically command-based. What if we were to take that game and breathe new life into it? Make it into a current-gen game? Would users be OK with it in that turn-based style?"

Obviously 6 isn't going to get the same treatment 7 is, with a multi-part big-budget remake. But I don't think it's that farfetched to think SE might give it a thorough makeover -- something like the DS editions of FF3 and 4, or DQ 4-8. While they've been content with just repackaging the same versions of the 16-bit Square games over and over again, there's been some movement that gives me a little hope that they're starting to give a fuck. SoM was, by all accounts, a mess, but at least they tried. And these SaGa remakes are getting decent reviews.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 am

As someone who's been at most a fair-weather friend of the FF series, it's always seemed to me that if anything beyond VII has potential for a remake, it's VI.

Furthermore, given the amount of resources poured into multiple remakes and spinoffs of VII, that there MUST be at least a few dollars rattling around in the can to at least put together (as Thad suggested) something like the DS remakes.

Of course being a Bronto for so long may possibly have given me something of a warped impression of VI's general popularity (nah, it's got fans in other nerd places I go).

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:37 am

6 really doesn't need a remake.

No, seriously.

7 does. 7 begs for one.

6 just needs a patch to fix the mechanical problems. The game itself other than the bugs is basically as perfect as it can be.

You could also rebalance the combat (get rid of fight and espers, though I mean, you can just enforce that yourself on a playthrough) but it doesn't really -need- it.

FF7 could use a complete redesign from the ground up.

I'm not against a ff6 remake, of course, and I'd be excited as shit for it, but it's like, what. Remaking LttP? What's the goal? It's hard to improve on near-perfection. I guess just give it sick 3D modern graphics?
ImageImageImage

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:57 pm

7 has the unfortunate distinction of being a genuine technological breakthrough, creating an entirely new 3d production language that everyone coming after followed, meaning the game itself exists at the very floor of the uncanny valley to modern eyes. I just replayed the Switch version over the holiday and as well as the narrative and pacing hold up* - they really do, especially with the modern boosters essentially eliminating the actual late-1990s-RPG-ness of it all - it's just impossible to get past.

6 is just a really good-looking 16-bit game, and can be held up against any other 16-bit game. 7 is hideous when compared to all the other PSX games coming even a year later that built on its visual style. More than just needing a complete visual overhaul, it deserves one.

*beyond all the subtler anti-capitalist beats I missed the last time I played it 18 years ago, I was really struck by how Cloud actually does more or less accurately remember what happened in Nibelheim except the moment where he actually became the hero he wanted to be, or how Tifa is pretty unflappable despite knowing what she does up until the moment at the GC hotel when Red XIII wonders if he has false memories at which point she freaks out at him

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:46 pm

Every turn based RPG that is not at least as expidited as Bravely Default is trash.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:50 pm

Yeah, auto/speed mode and variable difficulty is a necessity now. Trails does this well: I speed/auto through random fights and set the difficulty up for bosses.

Basically I want the option to skip the actual game at any point I like as I move through the story, which a younger me would have considered sacrilege but it's like, I've played a turn-based RPG before, guys.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:07 pm

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodeston ... a_callback

If anyone wants to invite me back and is still in the same FC I was in Stormblood. Scaevola Aremti.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:27 pm

I genuinely would... if I was still in it. Most of us took the opportunity for the free transfer to get the flying fuck off of Hellworld I mean Balmung.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 pm

I'd send you one, but I think you can only invite someone on your friends list.

I can try a search, though. See if that works.

Edit: Nope, sorry. Doesn't work without FC membership or already being on the friends list.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:19 pm

Alright, thanks for the attempt you two.

Probably better this way since I'm going on vacation in a week.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:49 pm

When you do get back, it's only like $12 to reactivate a single character for a month, at least. A free week would be a ... push, to catch up an entire expansion.

If you do, and are staying on Balmung, I can toss you some gear.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:57 pm

Killer. I'm keeping an eye out for discount on the expansion since I know they drop the price all the time, but I'll probably get bored and pull the trigger after I get back.

Maybe. Who knows? I'm probably moving soon so I'll have more important things to worry about than muhmorpeggurs.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:16 pm

So I did the new Main Story trialRuby Weapon yesterday, and I was expecting Final Fantasy VII, not End of Evangelion, holy shit.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:22 pm

Seeing that storyline, and the fact that the three boys left have green, blue, and white hair, and the blue-hair one says he's gonna be piloting Sapphire Weapon, and realizing that between Sapphire, Emerald, and Diamond Weapons, we're gonna be killing all but one of Gaius's adopted children ... only one response seems appropriate.

François

Postby François » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:20 pm

I'm at about the point where the Scions seem pretty close to moving to Mor Dhona, and I gotta say, it's continuously weirding me out how practically any single cutscene in the Hildibrand series has clearly had more heart put into it than the entirety of the actual main story so far.

I mean it gets a little g-moddy at times but hell if I expected this game to attempt honest-to-goodness physical comedy, and I can't tell if on the whole it's the best or the worst.

So I've decided it's the borst.

(Okay I lied, I can tell it's the best because I am reminded every time !Enkidu shows up.)