Aggressive Mining

nosimpleway

Re: Aggressive Mining

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:31 pm

Just build a portal fortress around it, sheesh.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:57 pm

If anyone finds a swamp biome, let me know. I need to gather a bunch of slime blobs.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:25 pm

Oh, man. It's been so long since I've played vanilla Minecraft. I wonder what's been added since then...

sei

Postby sei » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:50 pm

What sort of mods are on our MC server?

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:49 pm

sei wrote:What sort of mods are on our MC server?

Absolutely Nothing.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Grath wrote:
sei wrote:What sort of mods are on our MC server?

Absolutely Nothing.

Atog wrote:Not exactly true.

There's world guard, and worldedit, to protect the spawn area

There's permissions allowing folks in creative world to use some worldedit gadgets. Makes it faster and easier to build giant structures. Not for use in survival.

A couple of bukkit commands have been enabled to deal with the weather and such. I like survival to be legit with all its rain and snow and whatnot, but for some people playing this on their Commodore 64s, it can lag horribly.

Multiverse is the plugin that lets us have separate creative and survival planetoids.

Other than that, vanilla. Until and unless y'all come to a consensus that we need something else added. I'm open to anything that doesn't turn our server into minigame theme park.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:22 pm

What's wrong with an Infinite Gold Saucer?

sei

Postby sei » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:16 pm

I've been playing the Beyond Reality pack with a friend, but the server we're using seems to require a few restarts a day. Not sure whether the box we're on is awful or whether Beyond Reality and other mega mod packs are buggy enough across the board that these servers constantly wind up in a bad state.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:45 pm

Holy hell, that's a dickload of mods.

"Minigame theme park" is a good way of putting it. There's such a thing as too much. This is the first time I've punked around in vanilla in forever, though, and I'm pretty underwhelmed by the experience. Maybe we can discuss what we'd personally like to see on the server (if anything.)

The one I was keeping up for the girl and myself had a pretty good mix. I passed over most of the logic/industry/reactor stuff. That never really interested me much, though I can see the appeal. Closest thing we had was Thaumcraft, which actually does add some worthwhile content without cluttering shit up too much, and even then we only tinkered with it off and on.

Mostly I was looking for mods that add stuff to actually do in the game and provide more of a sense of progression. Dungeon running and whatnot. Twilight Forest was pretty genuinely impressive, though I had a hard time getting it to play nice with Aether.

Also, Treecapitator has me spoiled fucking rotten.

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:15 am

Thaumcraft would be great if it didn't make some seriously questionable design decisions, like having what, three? four? different resource types that all have the same name (ignis research points is totally different from ignis vis points! and ignis shards have literally nothing to do with them) and reinventing the wheel regarding things Minecraft already did perfectly fine (You drop items straight into the Cauldron with no other way to control the process, if only there was a GUI where you could see how many items you had inserted and what the result will be LIKE A VANILLA CRAFTING TABLE)

Thermal Expansion is pretty great, and the latest update makes it pretty sufficient as a multipurpose automation mod (it has its own item transport now, and "barrels" i.e. a block to store huge amounts of one single item). You could have a grand old time just adding that without having to bundle in 20 other mods for needed features.

You guys seem to prefer to keep it simple, so I doubt you'll like Pam's Harvestcraft, but if you have a bizarre, bordering on fetishistic mania for videogame cooking like I do, it's awesome. It adds a ton of new veggie types and a mind-boggling amount of cooking recipes, most of which are practically enough to use as a recipe in real life. It's got fresh ground cinnamon and nutmeg for crying out loud.

Those foods are pretty much useless though since, why even bother to have such variety when you can just carry a stack of pork chops with you. Absolutely nobody will like this except me, but the mod The Spice Of Life forces you to care about food variety. It tracks the last 6 things you ate, and for every time you eat the same thing within the buffer of your last 6 ingestions, the hunger it restores is halved. Eat something two or three times in a row and it becomes essentially useless. This would be completely horrendous in vanilla minecraft but with Pam's Harvestcraft it makes soft pretzels and strawberry ice cream suddenly IMPORTANT.

Chisel 2 gives you a shitload of cosmetic decorating options that absolutely everyone will see the same regardless of texture pack. Carpenter's Blocks will give you an even more ridiculous level of control over cosmetic blocks. Bibliocraft has a ton of neat furniture items to decorate with and most of them function fairly simply.

Avoid Forestry. It does nothing useful. It adds approximately five billion identical trees, and four times as many bees that absolutely nobody cares about. I assume this is the stuff you meant by Minigames. This nonsense seems to exist only to clutter up Not Enough Items to the point of nigh uselessness.

Also never install Equivalent Exchange, it utterly breaks survival mode.

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:18 am

I could go on but I'm being awkward enough already.

also Tinker's Craft is kind of complicated, but I bring it up because it lets you make Lumber Axes, which work exactly like Treecapitator did. It also gives you an in-game instruction manual that fully explains all its wacky nonsense.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:40 am

I like Twilight Forest. Also Dimensional Doors, but that might not be to everyone's text

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:08 am

Things that I'd be interested in not yet mentioned:
Ars Magica (being a goddamn wizard, also plays well with twilight forest by adding some mini bosses there)
Applied Energistics (makes chest management obsolete in a good way)
Minefactory reloaded (Automates shit like growing food and managing livestock - it's also what I usually use for my power generation needs)

I'd also like to second the Tinkers Construct suggestion cause that shit looks cool as fuck

Edit to add:
Romosome wrote:Also never install Equivalent Exchange, it utterly breaks survival mode.

Equivalent Exchange pretty much no longer exists, EE2 died with Minecraft 1.6 (recent modding is on 1.7.10 IIRC) and EE3 is very unfinished and only allows transmutation, not the crazy generate-everything-from-nothing stuff.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:55 pm

I adored Dimensional Doors, but it was also only up to 1.6.4 with no sign of being brought up to date. I believe Advanced Portals 3 provides similar functionality with some additional bells and whistles, though it's a bit more complicated.

Harvestcraft sounds groovy if Romo wants to be The Farmer for the server.

Forestry is fucking retarded and I don't understand why people do it.

Agreed on what a clusterfuck Thaumcraft can be. I still kind of dig it just for its thematic consistency and some of the stuff it adds to the world. Though we'd want to turn off Corruption Nodes or Blight or whatever it's called. The flag that allows purple shit and giant worms to spread all over the place. At one point the girl and I were building a house with one of those in a loaded chunk just out of view and it pretty much surrounded our homestead before we noticed it. Our epic, desperate horseback exodus with everything we could carry was totally worth the painintheassery of it, though. Much later I came back and put that node in a jar. I keep it on a shelf behind glass with a sign reading FUCK THIS THING.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Just keep in mind the fact that implementing some of these mods on a server on 1.8 can be... problematic. Plugins are okay, but anything requiring total conversion tools like Forge or Modloader (FYI, anything that adds new items or enchantments falls under this category) gets into territory where a lot of work is required on the backend to make them work.

Which isn't to say it's impossible - if you guys come to a genuine consensus on a particular mod you want, AND those mods have been updated to be compatible with 1.8, AND there is sufficient documentation, then I don't think Starr will mind setting that up.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:12 pm

Mongrel wrote:Just keep in mind the fact that implementing some of these mods on a server on 1.8 can be... problematic. Plugins are okay, but anything requiring total conversion tools like Forge or Modloader (FYI, anything that adds new items or enchantments falls under this category) gets into territory where a lot of work is required on the backend to make them work.

Which isn't to say it's impossible - if you guys come to a genuine consensus on a particular mod you want, AND those mods have been updated to be compatible with 1.8, AND there is sufficient documentation, then I don't think Starr will mind setting that up.

Alternatively, 1.7.10 with mods because that's a decent compromise on maximum compatibility and recent Minecraft core version, IIRC.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:33 pm

That might be true except for the fact that a 1.8 server was the whole point, due to the large amount of content it added. :)

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Mongrel wrote:That might be true except for the fact that a 1.8 server was the whole point, due to the large amount of content it added. :)

I would give up all of http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Bountifu ... e_features for mods. One miniboss, a couple potions, enchantment changes, and some AI tweaks vs a ton of minibosses, tons of potions, tons of enchantments, etc.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:09 pm

Uh, and a shitton of new blocks that 1.8 introduced, some functional. And a number of other functional block and item improvements.

Anyway, no worries, we will see what people want. If there's a broad consensus about a particular specific mod, we can go from there.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Mongrel wrote:Uh, and a shitton of new blocks that 1.8 introduced, some functional. And a number of other functional block and item improvements.

Anyway, no worries, we will see what people want. If there's a broad consensus about a particular specific mod, we can go from there.

Slime blocks would be the only thing I would directly miss. And I can't find a goddamn slime on the server, even though I'm dug into a slime biome.