Aggressive Mining

Romosome

Re: Aggressive Mining

Postby Romosome » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:20 pm

My Mod ranting was based on recent experience with Flux Galaxy, which is an interesting little modpack. It's built around Galacticraft, which is a (sadly buggy as heck) mod that lets you fly to other planets and build space stations. The trick of it is that it changes ore generation to tie space progress to tech progress. In other words, if you want to have crazy mass-energy network stuff you have to get your ass to Mars first.

But yeah as much as I like it and some of the mods in it, it has Forestry and Natura and other cluttery nonsense in it. Also a downright embarassing Sanguimancy mod that makes Thaumcraft look like Team Fortress 2 in terms of slick professional design.

Also based on Sharkey's comments, yeah, the other thing iffy about Thaumcraft is how easy it is to *permanently* fuck up both yourself and entire biomes with the janky Blight system. On the other hand, despite all the crazy industrial mods with machines and nuclear reactors and stuff, nobody's made a pollution mod for Minecraft. There's no way to properly produce choking smog or tainted water or radioactive wastelands.

Outside of the ICBM mod that is which obviously has other issues on a shared server.

sei

Postby sei » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:14 pm

I like the trees (and colored wood planks) that Natura adds, but don't know much else about it.

The Beyond Reality pack was my first experience with anything beyond vanilla, and the sheer amount of shit left me pretty overwhelmed with options and ultimately underwhelmed with survival mode. I wound up just spending my time dicking with architecture over a lake and building an underwater secondary base to store the hideous machines.

In particular, the amount of bullshit machines and processes involved in gregtech were off-putting. Oh, I found ore. Wait, I shouldn't furnace the ore? I need to pound it into crushed ore, and then pound that into impure dust, and then purify the dust in a cauldron, and then do the same thing with another ore so I can make bronze, the alloy for the first tier of technology? Oh, but the ore refinement chain takes fucking forever unless I want to waste a TON of resources building hammers? Sounds great.

The ore doubling chain may be standard fare. Not experienced enough to know. It felt like yak-shaving, in either case.

The pack was chosen by my friend who, I guess, was bored with Feed the Beast. Or hates himself.

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:32 pm

Ore doubling is standard fare now, but only pulverizing. Pretty much every industrial mod just has "1 ore Pulverizes into 2 dust, 1 dust smelts into 1 ingot, thus doubling your yield". At most you'll have to combine two dusts for an alloy like bronze.

The exception is steel or other very specific individual ores which sometimes intentionally have a whole bullshit process to go through just for the sake of progression.

Again, Thermal Expansion is really nice in that it has the basic industrial machines but not too much, has power/electricity and conduits and item tubes, and isn't as buggy as Buildcraft.

Natura is kind of redundant just because Minecraft itself now has 6 different trees/wood colors.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:08 pm

sei wrote:I like the trees (and colored wood planks) that Natura adds, but don't know much else about it.

The Beyond Reality pack was my first experience with anything beyond vanilla, and the sheer amount of coconut left me pretty overwhelmed with options and ultimately underwhelmed with survival mode. I wound up just spending my time dicking with architecture over a lake and building an underwater secondary base to store the hideous machines.

In particular, the amount of bullshit machines and processes involved in gregtech were off-putting. Oh, I found ore. Wait, I shouldn't furnace the ore? I need to pound it into crushed ore, and then pound that into impure dust, and then purify the dust in a cauldron, and then do the same thing with another ore so I can make bronze, the alloy for the first tier of technology? Oh, but the ore refinement chain takes fucking forever unless I want to waste a TON of resources building hammers? Sounds great.

The ore doubling chain may be standard fare. Not experienced enough to know. It felt like yak-shaving, in either case.

The pack was chosen by my friend who, I guess, was bored with Feed the Beast. Or hates himself.

From what I've seen, Tinker's Construct resolves this pretty well - you build a big structure (out of seared bricks - smelted sand/gravel/clay mixture - and glass, with nothing else required. All the recipes for building the smeltery are a mixture of these two ingredients in different shapes.) and then you can double ores by dumping them in to this big structure, they get liquified and doubled, then you can pour out the liquid metal into blocks or a variety of cast shapes for the pile of customizable tools added with the mod (or you can cast ingots from the same system).

In the interests of getting things organized, I put together a strawpoll with multiple options enabled. Not included in that list because it should be default in every modded Minecraft ever is 'Not Enough Items' which gives you a way to look up most crafting recipes in-game without having to alt-tab to a wiki page for the given mod. If we come up with a combination of things that enough people approve of, it should be easy enough through Technic Launcher to put together a Brontoforum Mod Pack setup for easy installation stuff.

Synopsis of mods follows:
Tinker's Construct: Ore-doubling, better tools.
Applied Energistics: Inventory management via a compact system with searchable contents.
Thermal Expansion: Basic machinery and power systems.
Minefactory Reloaded: Somewhat less basic machinery and power systems.
Extra Utilities: Extra dimension with better ore density and mob spawning rates; more power generation options; some utility tools like a double-chest-in-your-inventory item, golden lasso for moving non-hostile mobs, builder's wand for easier large-scale construction)
Thaumcraft: Magics! with a core of 'wands and absorbing magic from places in the world where it naturally occurs'.
Blood Magic: Magics! with a core of 'sacrificial altar where you sacrifice your blood (or other creatures' blood, eventually) to power your magics'
Ars Magica: Magics! with a focus on creating and using spells. Has bosses which each drop signature items. Less about the weapons/armor/tools, more about the spellcrafting.
Twilight forest: Exploration and mini-bosses dimension.
Hardcore Ender Expansion: Adds exploration and mini-bosses to The End.

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:41 pm

Romosome wrote:On the other hand, despite all the crazy industrial mods with machines and nuclear reactors and stuff, nobody's made a pollution mod for Minecraft. There's no way to properly produce choking smog or tainted water or radioactive wastelands.

here I claim, we see the true capitalist utopian ideology at work in the world of Minecraft, you know, and so on

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:09 pm

Holllllyyyy shit, finally. FINALLY.

Now they just need to complete the very last step and find a way to introduce this without command blocks.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Mongrel wrote:command blocks.

Oh god, I'm going to have some serious catching up to do with vanilla before any mods get added.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Something I'd like to see:

A mode that can either be played in creative or survival, with mining and placing blocks disallowed except in special circumstances. From there we each go off and build challenging areas with neat architecture, switch puzzles, platforms, monsters, secret doors, and some kind of ability enhancing boosts within each one. E.g.: After you get the bow&arrow from finishing Grath's area you can now hit wall switches to complete Sharkvania, which gives you a set of armor to survive Norfair or whatever, get the double jump boots to backtrack to yadda yadda. Pretty much a collaborative freeform Metroid sort of thing. Maybe even throw in some puzzles that require more than one player. Could be super fucking neat.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:48 pm

basically you want exquisite knorpse in 3d

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Pretty much exactly that, yeah!

Is that a thing we can do?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Actually you just want Adventure Mode.

People don't typically play it though, because you have to basically manually program everything. It's like RPG maker, only in 3D Hard mode.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:40 pm

We HAD that a Knorpse in the last Bronto MC server, but I think it got blown up by inevitability.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:54 pm

Mongrel wrote:Actually you just want Adventure Mode.

People don't typically play it though, because you have to basically manually program everything. It's like RPG maker, only in 3D Hard mode.

I wasn't thinking about anything as complicated as that. More along the lines of what we do anyway in creative (and survival): Build fuckoff weird castles and shit. Gold statues of giant pixel men with cartoonishly large dongs pissing lava off the top of a mountain. You, know, whatever. We'd just keep in mind that someone might try to walk through it and they may or may not have a bow and arrow, sword, double jump boots or a hookshot (with item mods,) so throw in the occasional high balcony or shootable-switch hidden on your wool sculpture of Mario's ass. The only real coordination would be that each person building on the server would have one tool that only they can place, and one type of item gate that only they can employ. Armor, weapons, a map, notes about otherwise hard to find secret doors, jumping challenges, and other stuff can be peppered through as soft-gates to progression. End result is essentially a sculpture park with each builder encouraging a walking tour through what they've constructed.

Then it all goes to hell when everybody makes a haunted castle. So maybe call dibs on "ice world," "heavy metal album cover," "dark paranoid bullshit with tricky light switches and monster spawners hidden behind walls," or "Land of Lavadicks." Maybe have one "final" area that incorporates all the item and skill gates in sequence.

It could actually be done pretty well without much even in the way of mods. Chests or item dispensers work fine, either with something to reset their contents or honor system to just not empty them. Maybe have them replenish on a timer. Hunger and creeper damage should probably be shut off, with health-restoring food. That's pretty much it.

Hell, for extra stupid-easy we could use any import mod to bring in stuff we've already built. Or maybe just import the Enterprise crashed into the side of a mountain then just add some useful items, notes, and some kind of asshole switch puzzle in engineering.

Hell hath no confused annoyance like IGN readers trolled.

So... yeah. Pretty much exquisite knorpse. Ish.

I dunno, if nobody's keen on it I'll probably just throw together the world's most schizophrenic adventure map from prefab pieces. I'm sure I can somehow incorporate that automatic pooping butt as a food dispenser.

I still can't believe they paid me for that.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Starr says go for it, just do save-all before you rotate the current maps out of duty.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:33 pm

Wouldn't even be necessary. I'm all for working with/around what we have. All I'd really want is a mod that'll import saved bits to a world. Used to have one but the name escapes me. I'll look around.

Also, I don't know that anyone else seems all that keen on it, anyway.

Postby Newbie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:29 am

It seems like I'd better get back into Minecraft. Username jsnlxndrlv.
tiny text

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:36 am

Yer in, yeronner.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:55 am

Sharkey wrote:Wouldn't even be necessary. I'm all for working with/around what we have. All I'd really want is a mod that'll import saved bits to a world. Used to have one but the name escapes me. I'll look around.

Also, I don't know that anyone else seems all that keen on it, anyway.

both MCEdit and WorldEdit will do this.

/schematic save mcedit thetittytwister

saves the terrain bits as a schematic using the player location as the anchor point for rotation/pasting.

To upload just put them in /plugins/WorldEdit folder.